Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Californian

Cooperson

One Too Many
After a 12 week wait, my new Aero Californian in russet jerky horse arrived. I chose the medium weight hide as a warm weather jacket to compliment my heavy horse Highwayman, which I still wear at every opportunity. The Californian was chosen for it's more angled and forward hand warmer pockets (more accessible) and because I thought the half belt design would look good in a medium length (2" longer than standard)

Specs:
Style: Aero Californian, no cuff straps
Hide: Russet jerky horse
Size: 38"
Length: 28" (2" longer than standard)
Lining: Grant with leather strip around bottom of hem
Inner pockets: 2 (one zipped, one stud)
Pocket lining: brown corduroy (all 4 pockets)
Zips: Antique Brass
(thanks to Jan solo for the heads up on the leather band and the pocket linings)

I have a few pics - hope you don't get too bored looking at them all :)

Californian-front.jpg
[/IMG]

Californian-back.jpg
[/IMG]

Californian-Grant-lining.jpg
[/IMG]

Californian-pocket-lining.jpg
[/IMG]

Californian-Grain.jpg
[/IMG]

Califorinian-on---side-zipp.jpg
[/IMG]

Califorian-on---front-open.jpg
[/IMG]

Kid Mac

Practically Family
That's a great jacket. Sort of a Californian/Long Halfbelt. I really like the added length and the clean look the slash pockets give the jacket. The russet is a great choice. Thanks for the pics.

Cheers,

Mac

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice jacket. I see you decided not to do the wrist straps.
Really like the corduroy lining in the pockets, too.
Looks like a great fit and comfortable right out of the box. Congrats.
12 weeks, eh? Counting the days...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Now that's a nice jacket. The length is perfect - too many jackets are too short and just strange looking. Good you got rid of the wrist straps - they catch on stuff. If it were mine I'd add a top zip up pocket because I like how it breaks up the otherwise somewhat clinical lines. We don't see enough Californians.

Can you tell me how much it weighs?

Cooperson

One Too Many
Many thanks for all the kind comments gentlemen. Choosing a new jacket is always a difficult choice, especially when you have a picture in your mind of what you want, but it's not quite there in the standard patterns available. As it turned out, the modifications worked well and I'm very happy with the result.

feltfan - the corduroy pocket liners are must option for me from now on, really soft and warm. I can see now why the Navy put them in pea coats ( I'm sure Mr Peacoat will confirm :) )

jack miranda - thanks Jack. I've always liked the look of your Herc and I was very tempted to go with the full length of that or the long half belt. I've still not ruled a long style out, Ive only got two horses in stable so there's room yet :)

Seb - Not sure what it weighs but it does feel very light compared to my heavy horse Highwayman. I have to say, there is nothing quite like the look, feel and smell of heavy horse and it is by far my favorite hide. These medium weight hides are good for a warm weather jacket and they are very soft and wearable straight out of the box, but the color looks almost painted on compared to the front quarter horse. It will be back to the heavy stuff for my next one, I'm thinking vintage brown.

Dav

One Too Many
Very cool jacket Cooperson. I'm new to these chat room things so am not sure if I should ask this question here or not but I was just wondering how warm you found the common riding lining in your highwayman during the recent British winter as I'm about to order a similar item but am unsure about which lining to choose?

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Dav said:
Very cool jacket Cooperson. I'm new to these chat room things so am not sure if I should ask this question here or not but I was just wondering how warm you found the common riding lining in your highwayman during the recent British winter as I'm about to order a similar item but am unsure about which lining to choose?

Hi Dav, I have a mid-weight Highwayman (still reasonably heavy) and find the lining fine but it depends what you're wearing under the jacket. You may want the Alpaca lining for extra warmth.

That Californian is bellissimo!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Dav said:

The common riding is a worsted wool and feels like a soft blanket, so it sort of feels warm. In reality, leather jackets are not the warmest things, even the heavy horse, so no matter what lining you get, when the temperature really drops you will need to wear the right layers under it. I would think the common riding is on par with the alpaca, so as good as it gets for warmth.

Cheers

OneStar

New in Town
Corduroy lined pockets

I am in the process of ordering a Highwayman. Curious to know if you had ALL the pockets lined in corduroy (inside pockets as well as the hand-warmers)? Looks like a nice feature.
Cheers

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I gotta chime in here.
Aero lined all the pockets in my Highwayman with courderoy too.
It's a really nice feature and definitely keeps hands warmer.
The courderoy will probably hold up longer than the cotton pockets will too.
Lenny

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Congratulations...

that's a fantastic choice Cooperson and those inside pockets have got me thinking as I'm knocking around some ideas for my next Aero. Thanks for taking the time to show us...

JanSolo

Practically Family
That's a neat looking 'Jacke'. Great choice of colour and pattern...and a lot of really cool details. You will find that Aero's mid weight horse, especially the rougher skins break in very nicely. If you desire a more worn-in look with a couple of creases and folds, the spray mist method works really well on that type of leather. It really helps to articulate the grain. ... But obviously wearing it might also be considered as a good way to break in your jacket.:p

Enjoy your jacket and don't forget to post some pics of it a couple of months down the road.

Peacoat

Bartender
Coop, you did a good job designing this jacket. I like the clean look without the breast pocket, and the cuffs are unfettered as well. Great choice on the leather and color. But it's the black corduroy pockets that make this jacket! They are quite the business. I see you have learned a lot in our many discussions about peacoats. Good choices on everything, and a great jacket you have for yourself.

Mr. Peacoat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe