Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nerd Alert III: Sarah Connor Chronicles

Almost everyone on the KITT-builder boards thought it was a trainwreck.

"Attack Mode" was just Season 4's "Silly Popout Mode", another retread of a flop idea better saved for a Transformers character... and I still think the Knight 2000 would take the new Knight 3000 with half its CPU powered-down [voice=El Rushbo]"...just to make things fair."[/voice]

I foresee a long line of disastrous remakes in the next several years, rumblings (as in, of the pre-bowel movement kind:eek: ) are silver-screen versions of both KR and Equalizer in '09. If Woodward ain't back at least to show McCall retiring and a new Equalizer stepping up, it's gonna suck...

Edward

Bartender
John in Covina said:
The first film is more like 1984, than 1994, it is a total 80's film. As to the reference to time it basically says "Tonight" but it is the 80's.

Oops, my typo... yes, I meant to type 198[/i]4 there.... I'll be more careful about my figures next time I have a go at someone else's maths... lol

My basic point still stands, though - the first one appears to be set in 1984 (year of release), while the second was clearly set in 1992.... and yet John Connor is presented to us as a ten year old???

That's to say nothing of the fact that the kid was utterly, utterly unconvincing as a ten year old. 13, 14, sure I'd buy that. But NOT 10.

I've enjoyed well enough hat I've seen of this series, though it's buried on an off-mainstream channel here in the UK and I keep missing it.

Feraud

Bartender
Good news.
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Gets Second Season on Fox
Network to Reposition Science-Fiction Drama for Fall Premiere
By B&C Staff -- Broadcasting & Cable, 4/22/2008 2:41:00 PM
Fox placed a 13-episode order for a second season of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and the network will reposition the science-fiction drama for a fall premiere.

Initially a midseason entrant, the C2 Pictures-Warner Bros. TV production got a big promotion push from Fox and premiered big after a Jan. 13 National Football League playoff game. The show has been the season’s highest-rated series in the 18-49 demo, averaging a 4.4 rating/10 share and some 10.5 million total viewers.

Executive-produced by Josh Friedman and John Wirth, The Sarah Connor Chronicles is based on the Terminator film series and stars Lena Headey as Sarah Connor, whose son, John (Thomas Dekker), is destined to lead humans in a post-apocalyptic battle with machines.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6554074.html?rssid=193

Feraud

Bartender
Spoilers ahead - Beware!

Alright Sarah Connor fans, tell it! Who else saw the season opener last night? How excellent was it!
Good Terminator goes bad, Cromartie is still on the loose, John Connor finally gets a good haircut and shows some love for his pet project Cameron! The episode was interesting from beginning to end.
I thought Shirley Manson's acting was wooden until...whammy.
This looks like the beginning of a beautiful season.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
Spoilers ahead - Beware!

Alright Sarah Connor fans, tell it! Who else saw the season opener last night? How excellent was it!
Good Terminator goes bad, Cromartie is still on the loose, John Connor finally gets a good haircut and shows some love for his pet project Cameron! The episode was interesting from beginning to end.
I thought Shirley Manson's acting was wooden until...whammy.
This looks like the beginning of a beautiful season.
I concur. The opening scene (with that cool song) was excellent.
I'm thinking John cut his hair to look more like Christian Bale's John Connor.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
I missed it! Are they going to repeat it soon?
I'm watching it right now on FOX.com! All you need to do is download the player, and ta-da! Free entertainment. (you do have to sit through several 15 second commercials though)

Doh!

One Too Many
Fantastic opening episode, especially that last scene. The only thing that didn't ring true was the amount of damage to Cameron after the jeep blew up. She should've been messed up a lot more.

Still, this is my new favorite show; I'm already looking forward to buying this season on DVD.

Feraud

Bartender
Doh! said:
Fantastic opening episode, especially that last scene. The only thing that didn't ring true was the amount of damage to Cameron after the jeep blew up. She should've been messed up a lot more.

Still, this is my new favorite show; I'm already looking forward to buying this season on DVD.
True. I expected her to receive more hair and skin damage from the blast.

Feraud

Bartender
Sarah Connor & Co. are set to be terminated if the ratings do not improve.
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/09/sarah-connors-1.html
Sarah Connor has a serious problem. And it's not the relentless army of bots cloaked in human skin determined to kill her and her son.

It's the show ratings, which are steadily dropping with each episode.

Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello delivered a grim outlook last week: "An SCC insider tells me that if the show's numbers don't start to climb, Fox is unlikely to order any additional episodes beyond the 13 currently in the pipeline."

The season premiere started out with a bang: The opener featured great action sequences and an emotionally wrought, tense struggle between the Connors and their high-tech bodyguard, Cameron, after a malfunction caused her to flip from protecting John to attempting to assassinate him.
Do ratings systems take into account viewers who download programs to view at a later date on a laptop or ipod?
We record shows with the dvr feature. Does this count in the ratings system?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
Sarah Connor & Co. are set to be terminated if the ratings do not improve.
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/09/sarah-connors-1.html

Do ratings systems take into account viewers who download programs to view at a later date on a laptop or ipod?
We record shows with the dvr feature. Does this count in the ratings system?
It does, but those results come out a week(?) after the show is aired.

Doh!

One Too Many
I read something today that hopefully the ratings will pick up after Monday Night Football ends. Here's hoping; I still dig the show.

I'd have to say it seems they have mishandled the advertising of the show. They advertised it more when they did not know what day it was going to be on, then when they selected a day (Monday) thye did not push it.

Artigas

Familiar Face
T2 takes place in '95, it just came out in '91. Connor is indeed ten years of age at that point. T3 and T:SCC both claim that John was 13 in T2, which would have it take place in 1997, just a month or so before Judgement Day.

What will really mess with your head is this: every time they push back Judgement Day, yet continue to recieve Terminators from 2027-2029, that means the War, the time elapsed from its beginning to the development/employment of time travel tech, is getting shorter.

The birthdate of Kyle Reese has also been moved around, from a post-JD 2008 (the films), to a pre-JD 2002 (T:SCC). The original date meant he was 21 in T1, the new date makes him 27 in T1. Personally, I think it's more interesting to have a young Reese who is mature beyond his years, keeps his head, completes his mission, as opposed to an older one.

Another question is, which timeline will the upcoming T4 film be following? Will it bounce off of the original T2 JD (1997), assuming Sarah's mission in T2 failed, the T3 JD (2004) or the one in T:SCC (2011), assuming she succeded? Does it assume John made the jump from '99 to '07, a la T:SCC, or remained in real time? T4 is set in 2018 or 2019, so he's either 33 or 25 at that point, and the War could have been going on for anywhere from 7 to 21 years.

Then there's the issue of fatherhood: was Kyle Reese the father of the original John Connor, which creates a chicken-or-the-egg question, or did the original Connor have a different father who was taken out of the picture when Kyle Reese went back in time and sired the boy/man we know as John Connor?

As you can see, it's enough to make one's head hurt.

Other than the timeline issues (any show involving time-travel will have them, but plain mistakes, from T3 on, made the ones in Terminator even worse) I love T:SCC. I watch it religiously on Fox on Demand (online).

Edward

Bartender
Artigas - > Aha! Thanks, that makes more sense now. I was sure it had said 1992 on the screen - I must have misread, or at least misremembered. The time travel paradoxes are endlessly fascinating to me.

joffe

New in Town
The last episode was set partially in the 20s - figured it might be extra relevant here! I'm not exactly an expert but I thought the costumes and Tommy Guns were excellent. Maybe I'm clueless, though, can't say with a straight face I'm able to tell if they are correct..

Edit - some random screencaps, not too good quality:

http://www.isarapix.org/pix35/1228268054.png
http://www.isarapix.org/pix48/1228268080.png
http://www.isarapix.org/pix84/1228268110.png
http://www.isarapix.org/pix4/1228268156.png

carter

I'll Lock Up
Not exactly backstory but

I really enjoyed the last episode. Featuring Cameron was a nice touch and the scenes from the 20's interspersed with her research made for a very atmospheric episode. I think it was one of their best.