Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Needing advice from dapper dudes...

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

Regarding Federation IV's suitability as a dress hat, I say it is perfectly versatile for both casual and dress, providing it is well kept (I mean, clean and well shaped) . I do not own an Akubra, but here you can see some pics of me wearing a Penman Raiders, similar to the Federation, in general specs (but a higher quality, made to order beaver felt hat - like the one NBogart sports in his avatar) coupled with more dressy clothing.

DSC_0341.jpg

If you make a search for the Federation IV threads you will see plenty of examples of the hat worn with every level of clothing, from absolutely casual t-shirts or hawaiian shirts and jeans, all the way to three-piece or DB suits. It is really a versatile lid.

In the "What hat are you wearing today" thread you will also find loads of pics of similar hats combined which all sorts of clothing.

Regards!

awest84532

Familiar Face
Burgandi said:
Yes, that does look nice! I thin k I read somewhere that the Fed IV is an unshaped hat... do I get it shaped before I give it to him? How hard is it to shape your own hat??

Simple to shape and the one I am wearing is the Carbon Grey.

Goose.

Practically Family
Yep. So simple to shape/bash/crease a Goose could do it.

I did these for a photo op in another thread. Both hats were bashed to their initial form in about 10-15 minutes.
Having typed that, I'm not the expert some of the others are here...so mine aren't that good.

Back to the color gig, in each pic, the first hat is a Carbon and the second is Black.

Before . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . After

521645916_YyDLc-S-1.jpg
521645067_e28m5-S-1.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I know that with my skin coloring, if i needed a hat to go with black clothing, I would go with the carbon gray. A black hat would make me look pale, and moonstone would make me look sick.

Goose.

Practically Family
Neil said:
... Plus Goose wanted to see it.
Yes indeed I did.

My size + like the whole enchilada + just ordered a Fed IV Carbon = BUMMED :(

But thanks so much for the pics Neil. I really like that hat in every way.

Burgandi should really look into it. Too cool for school.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Burgandi said:
I would like to purchase a hat somewhere in the $100-$180 range... he used to have an Akubra that he loved but our dear cat peed on it (may it rest in peace... the fedora, not the cat! lol) about a year ago and he has been lamenting it ever since. I dont know what the style is and I cant ask without arousing suspicion but I know he wears a size 61 (which translates into a 7 5/8).

The price range knocks out all of the custom hats mentioned. And I believe with all Akubras, the hat style is stamped in gold in the front of the sweatband. If you happend to have the original hat, you could look for the name in it. Or if he was really attached to the original hat - have you considered having it cleaned and reblocked?

But since you're in Seattle - drive out to Woodinville (just off the 405 - it's really more like Bothell) and go to David Morgan. They're the US distributor of Akubra hats - in fact, Will Morgan posts here from time to time. There's also Byrnie Utz at 3rd & Union in downtown Seattle. Take him out to lunch & give him a gift certificate to one or the other and trot on over and find just the right hat. Hats are a personal choice - I've said it before and I'll say it again - would you trust him to run downtown and find the perfect little black cocktail dress for you to wear to a big event?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
^^^^^^

Excellent advice, Mike. It's best to try on a bunch of different lids to determine what works best.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jabos said:
My two cents: jump all over Neil's offer and your boyfriend will have the hat of a lifetime. Dark hats can come later, but this is truly a work of art and I guarantee he will love the quality at that price. I know you are thinking "Green?" and it is $20 over your budget, but you can't buy a better hat (arguably) anywhere else in the world, regardless of the price. I don't know him, obviously, but I'll bet he can tell the quality of the Art hat from his Akubra. Again, just my two cents. I hope he is happy with the thoughtful gift, whatever you decide. Very thoughtful.:eusa_clap

Agreed - one of Art's hats is a work of art..but why put all the extra money into something someone else THINKS her boyfriend would like? Obviously, Neil thought he'd like it when he custom ordered it, and then found it didn't suit him.

I think the original poster's far better off to go with an Akubra (since the boyfriend already had one and liked it)...although again, buying a hat for someone else, unless you're absolutely 100% sure exactly what they want, is a big gamble at best. That's why gift certificates were invented. Let him get what he wants and will wear, rather than chance getting something he'll wear once or twice out of obligation to household harmony and stash in the closet...or start hiding Kibbles-N-Bits under or rubbing with tuna in hopes of a repeat performance by the cat letting him off the hook for wearing it.

Burgandi

New in Town
Hailing Neil...

Neil said:
I have a brand new Art Fawcett custom hat in 7 5/8, dark moss green with an apple ribbon and a nice red pinstripe in the bow.
I paid $305 and have only worn it in the house. This is a pure beaver felt hat, better than anything Akubra sells. It just doesn't look good on me.
It's basically this one:

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/lim_ed_frameset.htm

Willing to sell it for $200 plus shipping.

I thought a lot about your offer and it seems like many of the gentlemen on this board agree its generous. I did have a price range I needed to stick to, but I would be willing to pay $200 if that included the shipping too...

I hope this sounds reasonable to you, it does sound like a lovely hat...

Burgandi

Goose.

Practically Family
Neil...I will pay you the actual shipping on behalf of Burgandi...as long as it's reasonable...not like some door to door courier gig or overnight/express crap.

Burgandi

New in Town
Goose. said:
Neil...I will pay you the actual shipping on behalf of Burgandi...as long as it's reasonable...not like some door to door courier gig or overnight/express crap.

Oh, Goose (that doesnt sound sincere, but its the only name I know :eusa_doh: ) You would do that? That is so so so kind but I would feel so guilty... are you sure?? I mean, maybe if I find out exactly how much shipping would be I could figure some sort of something out...

Anyway, Im already in everyone's debt so much...

Goose.

Practically Family
Burgandi said:
Oh, Goose (that doesnt sound sincere, but its the only name I know :eusa_doh: ) You would do that? That is so so so kind but I would feel so guilty... are you sure?? I mean, maybe if I find out exactly how much shipping would be I could figure some sort of something out...

Anyway, Im already in everyone's debt so much...
Yes, I do go by "Goose". No foolin'.
And don't feel guilty. It's just something for someone trying hard to make her man happy. You deserve that. So, that's all I have to say. Will be in contact with Neil and you, nor I, need say anything more about it.

I would've sent you a PM, but you don't have that enabled. So, I had to post here. Please, I inisist.
:)

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Goose. said:
And don't feel guilty. It's just something for someone trying hard to make her man happy. You deserve that. So, that's all I have to say. Will be in contact with Neil and you, nor I, need say anything more about it.

Wow! How generous. Goose, its people like you who make this such a great list.

Burgandi: That hat will last longer than a lifetime. It'll be an heirloom. Your guy is a lucky one to have you.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Goose. said:
Sorry, Goose, but I gotta say:

Look up the phrase "honorable gentleman" or, in the slang dictionary, "helluvaguy," and you'll see Goose's avatar pictured. Very nice, my friend.:eusa_clap

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Burgandi said:
Hello to all you well dressed gentlemen! I am needing some help on a nice fedora purchase for my boyfriend and thought I could get some good (fairly unbiased ;) ) advice here...

Burgandi, for future reference, the Akubra Campdraft is a fantastic hat. It cost me about $100 including shipping from Australia, and it is now my absolute favorite. So, for a future event, consider that--or the Fed IV--as a likely gift idea.

Having said that, for the present, LEAP on that Art Fawcett. I'm sure you and your boyfriend won't be disappointed.

Have fun,
Steve

rrog

A-List Customer
Well it sounds like you're getting a great hat. But I'll give you my two cents on the Fed IV, as far as its ability to go with suits. I've got a dark brown Fed IV and have worn it with just about every style. It's the hat I've received the most compliments on, by far. Whether it's with jeans and a Hawaiian shirt or my double breasted suit, I always seem to get compliments on it.

Speaking of complimnets, you would probably look very good in a hat too. That would be a great gift for your boyfriend - getting him the Art Fawcett and having you wear one too! I've tried to get my wife to wear one for a long time, but to no avail.

rrog

Burgandi

New in Town
PMing

Neil said:
You need to PM me, Bargundi, or let me know some way of contacting you.

-neil

I have tried to PM people and I received the notice that my account doesnt allow it?? Not sure why, but my personal email is ebaby17@hotmail.com... feel free to write me there and I can give you my cell phone number, if you need it!!!

Thank you to everybody, I will be staying in touch and making sure everybody gets pictures of the hat on Kyle (my boyfriend)... as far as the hat for me goes, thats not out of the realm of possibility, I have always enjoyed a fine hat!!

Gracious nod to you all... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe