Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Necktie Knots

onlyoneintown

One of the Regulars
This is very embarrassing...

I have I don't know ALOT of ties but I have no clue on how to tie a tie....or how long it should be or anything how hard is it? How long did it take you guys to learn? How old were you just wondering.

dostacos

Practically Family
onlyoneintown said:
I have I don't know ALOT of ties but I have no clue on how to tie a tie....or how long it should be or anything how hard is it? How long did it take you guys to learn? How old were you just wondering.
you can google it and get some pictures to show you.

I tie my tie differently than almost everybody it starts out around my neck with the back facing out and when I am finished it is correct. hard to describe but I could show it to you. Are you coming by Monday? if so, I will take you to lunch and show you how I tie a tie. This is a one time only offer....unless you want to come by Saturday at around lunch time, and we can do it Saturday instead.;) There is a very good Mexican place next to my house. [parking lot of the Ralphs at Grand and Diamond Bar Blvd in Diamond Bar]

EDIT: and don't be embarrassed, you need to know how and you need to PRACTICE

Dan

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Length is a vexed question as different people have different preferences. Personally I like to tie my ties so that the widest point just overlaps the waistband. Others wear theirs much shorter; I would only do the latter if the tie required it (i.e. it was a short tie), and then probably only where the tie would be worn under a waistcoat.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
1) I learned in high school; was about the only one in my company in boot camp that could tie a tie.

2) The Double Windsor knot presents a neat, professional appearance IMHO here's a link

3) When tied, cinch the tie itself so there's a slight 'dimple' or crease right below the knot

4) The point of the tie should be in the center of your belt buckle/trouser button/waistband

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
onlyoneintown said:

I learned to tie various knots from my father and/or older brothers. That was loooooong ago. I was most likely observing them from around the age of four or so. Same for shaving with a "cut throat" razor. Learned very early.
In the military there were slightly more ridgid different requirements.
I rarely use a tie these days, based on locale, weather and demand.
Just when attending a more formal occasion or theater. Too damned hot to hang a "fish" around my neck, if there is not a threat to my personal safety & continuance on this planet

Most of my ties I acquire from Ben Silver. I particularly like the solid ties in tones of deep color and a couple of the Regimentals that coincide with similar organizations in design and color, that I have been associated with.
Not many purchased recently, but they Ben Silver's are of the highest quality that may be found.
Pricey, but worth every cent.
They have other wardobe items as well. (male & female)

Their website has a fine and clear section on tying a neck/bow tie.

http://www.bensilver/style04/knots_home.htm

That should help.
At least I hope so.;)

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
I learned when I was about 7 years old by watching my dad when he was getting ready for work, it always amazed me so I asked how to do it and watched him. He taught me the two ways that Cookie explained earlier and needless to say I got a lot of quarters in my grade school days by tying all the boys ties for them so they didn't get in trouble.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would say, and I think most would agree, you're safe keeping the end of your tie either just above, slightly on, or just below your waistline (and I mean an overall length difference between shortest to longest of only an inch). I would stray towards just above or just on. Try not to go below the waist.

Keep in mind your height and weight when putting on your tie. If you're tall or have a large stomach, you may stick with a four-in-hand.

If you're short or have a slim neck, you could probably get away with a half-windsor.

If you're just plain small, you can manage a full windsor with no real problems.

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
No.
Just kidding. :) It's actually pretty easy, but it seems to be a dying skill in this progressively casual society. :(
Here's an informative website on the subject,......http://www.totieatie.com/fourInHand.asp

It really is a dying skill, or at least in these parts. My photography studio is art deco inspired and I have a coat tree towards the back that I hang my two fedoras on. Also there is a selection of three ties that I choose from when I get to work. I can't count the number of times I've had somebody spot them, like them but not have a clue as to how to tie them. A short class usually ensues and another teenie bopper (or even a parent) walks out a bit smarter and hopefully able to dress themselves a bit sharper because the "fear of the tie" is gone. ...Then again a good majority probably forget how to tie one about two steps out the door![huh]

dostacos

Practically Family
onlyoneintown said:
Would you be ok with this Saturday? Is it ok if I bring my lady with me?

If not thats ok also
that's fine, I will PM you my cell # and you can get turn by turn directions ;) My wife will join us for lunch too.

dostacos

Practically Family
I agree about the length of ties, those of us with ah...large necks [ok and big bellys] long ties are really better unless you have a vest. I hate it when the tie is 3" above my belt which may or may not be worse than having the front ok and the inner end barely through the knot.

Michael Douglas on Streets of San Fransisco always had both parts great and right at the belt, I think he is on the short side so he had more tie to play with, but his look is always my goal for ties

I cheat--I won't wear a tie unless it has a "breakaway fitting" installed, which also allows me to tie it once and forget it. (Ever have someone try to choke you using your own tie? I have, folks...)

They were made in the early '90s under the "Tie It Once" name, but I can't find 'em anywhere anymore. (I used to get 'em at Totes factory outlets.)

dostacos

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
I cheat--I won't wear a tie unless it has a "breakaway fitting" installed, which also allows me to tie it once and forget it. (Ever have someone try to choke you using your own tie? I have, folks...)

They were made in the early '90s under the "Tie It Once" name, but I can't find 'em anywhere anymore. (I used to get 'em at Totes factory outlets.)
I work in a children's hospital, I tried for YEARS to explain to the boss that ties in my job are a bad thing, I have equipment that safety rules say no ties, I do a job that will tear ties up, and get plaster and other nasties on them and yeah the kids have been known to grab them.

finally a co-worker broke her arm when a sleeve got caught in the machine, we reminded him that if she had been a guy and it was a tie instead of a sleeve we would be attending her FUNERAL instead of giving her 4 weeks off with pay:eek:

the industrial carrier can be your friendlol

Edward

Bartender
I have to admit, I'm quite taken aback at the idea that there's anyone who doesn't know how to tie a regular tie... but then that might be due to cultural differences. In all state schools in the UK, uniform is required - a standard part of that (even in primary school - age 5ish through 11ish - in my day, though i think it's mostly only secondary level now) being a tie. I've been tying a tie with a four in hand knot for myself since I was about six, I think - I figured it out myself by untying it and then reversing the process, pretty much. Then as I got older, in our village collar and tie was expected-norm wear for church on a Sunday morning. Not that I think the Creator much cares what we show up in, but someitmes it's best to blend in, and even then though I wouldn't have been as keen to wear one as now, I was beginning to enjoy wearing a suit. Anyhow..... I guess for a lot of folks who don't grow up with those uniform requirements (school or social) as can happen nowadays, it's really not that big a surprise it wouldn't be a common skill. when it comes to bow ties, I'm one of the very few people I know who can actually tie one for real. for a few years originally I wore pre-tied (yeah, the thought makes my skin crawl now, lol ) as I didn't like the look of an untied bow tie (and in any case, I never remove a tie until I am in the privacy of my own home after a night out, and then only while I have a pre-bed cup of tea). I felt that a pre-tied would always be a tigher knot, so... Later on I changed my mind, and decided to do it "for real" - partly because I just felt I should, and partly because I came to appreciate the asymetric, imperfect 'organic' look of a self-tie. It took a little effort to learn how to do it, but really once you've done it a time or two it's actually no harder than to tie a four in hand. And for those few pre-bed cup of tea moments, I've also come to feel there's a certain rakish charm comes with an untied bow tie.... ;)

I tie it a little bit backwards - being left handed, I start with the fat / front side in my left hand, not my right, but it's the same end result. I did experiment with a Windsor and half Windsor, but I absolutely loathe the look of a tie with a knot the size of your fist ,so they don't really work for me. One thing that really bugs me is the length of ties nowadays. I'm not exactly tiny - 5'10", 16" collar - but I find these days I very often have to tie a four in hand with an extra loop round in order to get the tie down to a reasonable length. The only thing i loathe as much as an oversized knot is a tie that extends beyond the waistband of the trousers. It's unbelievable how many ties nowadays would hang right down to your crotch if you didn't conciously avoid it. I've actually considered having a friend shorten a whole bunch of my ties. My ideal length is a good 1-2" of clearance between tie point and belt.

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
Here's a challenge (when done right, it looks really good, I find):

Christens1.jpg

Christens3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken