Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Necktie Knots

dostacos

Practically Family
Lucky Strike said:
Here's a challenge (when done right, it looks really good, I find):

Christens1.jpg

Christens3.jpg
I don't have a tie in front of me, but I think that is the way I do it. I was taught by my dad the regular ways, but I worked at the Broadway dept stores in the men's dept. and there were a group of window dressers that would come into the store each season and redo all the displays. The lead dresser showed my what he did with ties in case I ever needed to snag one off a display and replace it.

his method was great, when you pull the short end out of the knot then pull the knot and it would come totally undone and not wrinkle the tie. He also would play with the finished knot and make it look like a 4 in hand, a half Windsor or a full Windsor, I am not quite that good....

dostacos

Practically Family
meeting onlyoneintown today

My wife and I met onlyoneintown and his girl friend Danielle for lunch today. Danielle was very retro and her hair was all curls and cuteness, he was more lat3 40s early 50s bowling shirt style with a straw fedora, and looked very dashing.

My wife asked how we will know them, then thought, yeah they will be the ones dressed up :D

After a very enjoyable lunch, we went out side and I showed him how to tie a tie [my way at least] and even though he may not remember, I am sure Danielle will;)

for those going to the BBQ next Saturday, they will be the cute couple:D

Jovan

Suspended
I agree with others... learn the four in hand if you must learn one. It's all I ever use, but others with bigger necks may need a half-Windsor. The problem with a lot of modern ties is that they're too long to tie a normal FIH with and not get a whole lot of slack on either end.

onlyoneintown

One of the Regulars
Lots of fun meeting today

dostacos said:
My wife and I met onlyoneintown and his girl friend Danielle for lunch today. Danielle was very retro and her hair was all curls and cuteness, he was more lat3 40s early 50s bowling shirt style with a straw fedora, and looked very dashing.

My wife asked how we will know them, then thought, yeah they will be the ones dressed up :D

After a very enjoyable lunch, we went out side and I showed him how to tie a tie [my way at least] and even though he may not remember, I am sure Danielle will;)

for those going to the BBQ next Saturday, they will be the cute couple:D

It was very fun and thanks for teaching me how, I actually remembered! lol seeing you made me want to dress up even more you looked very SHARP nice braces by the way. I got to get myself one of those Indie hats I have a feeling that I'm going to start looking sharp as soon as I can! can't wait to see the rest of you guys on Saturday and I'm Glad I know you now dostacos I will feel very comfortable now knowing that I know somebody. Very glad and impressed that you know so much about El Salvador too :D

dostacos

Practically Family
onlyoneintown said:
It was very fun and thanks for teaching me how, I actually remembered! lol seeing you made me want to dress up even more you looked very SHARP nice braces by the way. I got to get myself one of those Indie hats I have a feeling that I'm going to start looking sharp as soon as I can! can't wait to see the rest of you guys on Saturday and I'm Glad I know you now dostacos I will feel very comfortable now knowing that I know somebody. Very glad and impressed that you know so much about El Salvador too :D
thank you, and we enjoyed meeting you too, it was fun. See you next week.

Dan

EvenOdd

New in Town
I think I was 18 when I learned how to tie one. My dad showed me how, then made me repeat it myself in front of the mirror until I could consistently do it. The only way to learn is to practice.

Edward

Bartender
....and so we have Avril Lavinge to thank for bringing back the tie? ;)

Jovan said:
The problem with a lot of modern ties is that they're too long to tie a normal FIH with and not get a whole lot of slack on either end.

Yes, I have exactly this problem. It putrs me in a very bad frame of mind if I find it hard to tie a tie in a way that stops it 1 1/2"- 2" above my belt buckle. I have actually been giving some cosideration to having some of my ties professionally shortened, once I figure out what works for me. I intended to find my ideal length and then as far as posasible never buy another tie longer than that again!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I can tie a windsor knot, a four-in-hand and even a bowtie on another person, thanks to my costuming class...but I can't tie any of the above on myself for the life of me. I don't know how you guys do it!

Edward

Bartender
gluegungeisha said:
I can tie a windsor knot, a four-in-hand and even a bowtie on another person, thanks to my costuming class...but I can't tie any of the above on myself for the life of me. I don't know how you guys do it!

When i taught myself how to tie a bow tie, I did struggle with teh instructions being less than clear. Right up until I had a sudden flash of memory of Richard Stillgoe (Stillgo? Stilgoe?) on kid's TV back in the early 80s tying one, and describing it as "like tying a shoelace while you're sitting inside the shoe." Suddenly clicked after that where I was going wrong. Great explanation! :)

luvthatlulu

Suspended
I have my own opinion on the matter, but I thought I would see what others more knowledgeable than myself had to say about it:

http://www.boardroomties.com/how-to-tie-a-tie.html

http://www.tieguide.com/overview.htm

and from the venerable Ask Andy About Clothes, Andy Gilchrist:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/WWW/WWW/Doctor.htm (specifically see the last sentence).

I like dimples myself but wouldn't declare them absolutes! I just agree that a tie looks well-finished with one. I'm also intrigued by the erotic symbolism that is commonly attributed to the dimple as well as the tie.

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
There is a quote from the old John Wayne movie "The Cowboys" that is appropriate here. Mr. Nightlinger (played by Roscoe Lee Browne) is applying for the job as the cook on the cattle drive and is explaining to John Wayne his recipe for apple pie as a sort of a job interview. In the explanation he discusses making cuts in the top crust: "Three," he say, "always three. One to let the air in, one to let the steam out and one because your Momma did it that way."

You dimple your tie, always, because your Daddy did it that way!

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Seems to me...

...it was one of those things that was "just done." I seem to remember reading that it was one of those non-verbal signals that you "got it" as opposed to the rube who didn't. It went along with the right suit, tie, shoe, etc. back before Malloy wrote "Dress for Success" and let the cat out of the bag.

surely

A-List Customer
I didn't fully realize it at the time but when I was going to law school 1959-62 in NY, I was also being socialized to be a wall street lawyer. Being a rather unsophisticated kid from the midwest, I looked at how the role models (lawyers, judges, diplomats, politicians) dressed: I remember that these guys always dimpled! In those worlds, newbies are judged the oldies by such details. They figure if you have not learned that nuance you just don't belong.
And yes, there are many exceptions.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
I can only get it on vintage ties, or at least ties with thinner material, but I'm rather fond of a "pinched" look, like the tie was just sort of pulled through the tie somewhat tightly and allowed to pinch in however it felt like -- the result is several random mini-dimples that sort of fan out from the end of the knot. I like the slightly off-kilter, not-quite-so-perfect look of it.

Kind of like the inverted dimple (another look that I really like), it usually only happens semi-accidentally, when I'm either in a hurry, or not really concerned with anything beyond getting the length right.

I'll try to get a picture tonight, when I get home from work. (I'm tieless today! :eek: lol )

-Tofu

(EDIT: it's probably not the healthiest thing I could be doing for my ties, now that I think about it. But a warm iron over a soft cotton towel at the end of the day usually helps...)

shayona_gs

New in Town
I learned the perfect symmetry wearing a windsor knot

Hi. I learnt tying my Windsor Knot and Hanover Knot online.

And this taught me a good symmetry knot. :)

You can share my learning experience here:

Windsor Knot
Half Windsor Knot
Balthus Knot

Hope this helps you like it helped me :eusa_clap

-------------------------------------------
I believe in perfection in everything -also in what you wear.
That creates your identity. lol

"Proper" tie knot placement?

Pardon me if this question seems naive, but I really don't know the answer and I wish to, provided there is an answer.

Should any of the shirt material show above a "standard" tie knot? You know, that bit of the shirt where the top button is. I've seen so many presumably well- and carefully dressed people (entertainers, politicians, other celebrity types who I would think have knowledgeable people tending to their appearance) wearing ties whose knots don't completely cover that bit of shirting, and it just doesn't look quite right to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken