Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Myths of the Golden Era -- Exploded!

Edward

Bartender
And John was known for being a jokester...In reality, Ringo replaced Pete Best because the former was recognized as one of the best drummers in the area. When Ringo left Rory and the Hurricanes, Rory Storm was quite unhappy to lose him. Check out Ringo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWdqh2PPvTI And listen to what drumming legend Don Mulvaney has to say about Ringo's abilities as a drummer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AGPm_-DtEQ

Ringo was regarded as a god drummer, yeah... though where he really scored big over Pete Best was that he bothered to turn up for rehearsals and shows. As I recall, best was jettisoned for being unreliable, though he's made a bit of money out of it over the years. I loathe hearing him being referred to as the fifth Beatle, though. There only one true fifth Beatle: Stuart Sutcliffe. If George was the Quiet One, Stuart was the cool Beatle.

ETA: Part of Ringo's unique sound comes down to the fact that he is a let handed drummer, but he plays with his kit set up "right handed" - it's got to do with the placement of the snare, and the fact that while you right handers move clockwise, we sinister types tend to go anti-clockwise.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Whenever I hear people talk about the common perception of Lincoln today, I tell them go look up what he really thought about the slaves and how he stomped on all kinds of rights at the time. I've had plenty of people come back and say, "I never realized that."Tell me about it. I live the PC bastion of the Puget Sound area of WA state. In many people's minds, I'm about as evil as a concentration camp guard simply by being born.
I like what my dad said once, along the lines of how impressed he was with the concept that "a bunch of farmers came this close to wiping out the largest Army on this side fo the world."
Ironically, when I went through ROTC to become an Army officer, it bugged me that I was joining a branch that fought the confederacy (Dad served in the USAF in the 50s because that branch didn't fight the Confederacy... HONEST!), but thought it cool that my ROTC unit actually had a battle streamer for fighting Union Forces late in the war.
I grew up doing civil war re-enacting, so the CSA flag doesn't carry the stigma to me it does for others. Mt late uncle told me as a kid about him talking with my great-great grandfather who'd fought with the CSA in the war and lived into the 1930s.

"So we made a thoroughfare for freedom and her train,
Sixty miles in latitude, three hundred to the main;
Treason fled before us, for resistance was in vain
While we were marching through Georgia."

A great grand-uncle of mine died in Camp Sumpter, better known these days as Andersonville.

The Sesech talk that has been bandied about of late is disturbing, to say the least.
Still refighting that war.

Oh, well.

I notice that (at least in our parts) some of the most ardent Sesech's are also the most rabid promotors of the Pledge of Allegiance.

Odd, isn't it?

I pledge allegiance to my flag,
and to the republic for which it stands.
One nation. INDIVISIBLE.
With liberty and justice for all.

Last edited:
And John was known for being a jokester...In reality, Ringo replaced Pete Best because the former was recognized as one of the best drummers in the area. When Ringo left Rory and the Hurricanes, Rory Storm was quite unhappy to lose him. Check out Ringo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWdqh2PPvTI And listen to what drumming legend Don Mulvaney has to say about Ringo's abilities as a drummer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AGPm_-DtEQ

Poor Rory. He replaced him with a trained chimp didn't he? :p

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...ETA: Part of Ringo's unique sound comes down to the fact that he is a let handed drummer, but he plays with his kit set up "right handed" - it's got to do with the placement of the snare, and the fact that while you right handers move clockwise, we sinister types tend to go anti-clockwise.

There is a book called The New Breed by Gary Chester which describes a system of drumming similar to this. Chester was a drummer in or around the same time as Ringo, so I don't think he necessarily "copied" his technique from the Beatle.

In any case, Chester suggests setting up the drums from left to right (right handed), and, regardless of your strong hand, learning to split the set down the middle; i.e. playing drums/cymbals on the right side with the right hand, playing drums/cymbals on the left side with the left hand. Many modern drummers, especially the very technical, very fast heavy metal drummers, have developed techniques like Ringo's because it results in greater ease of movement.

p51

One Too Many
The Sesech talk that has been bandied about of late is disturbing, to say the least.
Still refighting that war.
Funny, I thought this was about exploding myths, and how people often have a messed up concept of history. Funny how this reminds me of this:
Homer Simpson: All right, here's your last question. What was the cause of the Civil War?
Apu: Actually, there were numerous causes. Aside from the obvious schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists, there were economic factors, both domestic and inter--
Homer: Wait, wait... just say slavery.
Apu: Slavery it is, sir.

The Simpsons, "Much Apu About Nothing"

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Funny, I thought this was about exploding myths, and how people often have a messed up concept of history. Funny how this reminds me of this:
Homer Simpson: All right, here's your last question. What was the cause of the Civil War?
Apu: Actually, there were numerous causes. Aside from the obvious schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists, there were economic factors, both domestic and inter--

Did I mention slavery?

Secession (commonly known as treason) was the direct cause of the War. South Carolina fired upon the Federal garrison at Sumpter. That was the beginning of the War, just as the crossing of the Polish border by German forces was the beginning of the Second World War in Europe, and the Austro-Hungarian invasion of Serbia was the beginning of the Great War.

Interestingly enough, when one studies the personal letters and papers of the leading Confederates, one sees striking similarities to the leaders of Wilhelmine Germany in the years leading up to the Great War. Both groups felt as if they would eventually be swamped economically and militarily by superior forces unless they soon initiated war.

The North was growing rapidly, in both population and economic might, and the South's position as the preeminent partner in the Union had already passed by the time the Troubles came.

Remember that the Southern interests had long blocked the expansion of the nation, out of fear of additional Free State senators, and they had also delayed the construction of a transcontinental railway via a most advantageous route because it would lend too much economic strength to the North.

This obstructionism had no place in the land of Manifest Destiny, or so at least subsequent events suggest.

Since you brought up the subject of slavery as the essential cause for the War, let's see what one fellow had to say about it in 1832:

"I consider the tariff act as the occasion, rather than the real cause of the present unhappy state of things. The truth can no longer be disguised, that the peculiar domestick [sic] institution of the Southern States and the consequent direction which that and her soil have given to her industry, has placed them in regard to taxation and appropriations in opposite relation to the majority of the Union, against the danger of which, if there be no protective power in the reserved rights of the states they must in the end be forced to rebel, or, submit to have their paramount interests sacrificed, their domestic institutions subordinated by Colonization and other schemes, and themselves and children reduced to wretchedness."

That was John C. Calhoun, surely no Northern apologist he.

Or perhaps you are a follower of George Fitzhugh?

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up

"Now which way to the Welfare Office!?"
"What!?"
"I'm kidding! I'm kidding! I work! I work!"

Over the years there has been many heated discussion about the Wah.
Differing perspectives and points of view. Like anything else..the general flung synopsis or more detailed slants for various reason.
I'm not a follower of Calhoun or Fitzhugh ...but only vitanola. Else what's the use....[huh]:eusa_doh:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Uhh . . . errr . . . I suppose talking about the war is a golden era tradition, but the war itself definitely predates it.
Anybody got any topics from the 1920 to 1960 -ish period to bring up?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Myth: The Civil Rights Movement began with the Montgomery Bus Boycott of 1956.

Fact: Montgomery was the inevitable result of a movement which had been building steadily since the early 20th Century, and which had seen sharp, pronounced escalation since 1941, when A. Philip Randolph declared plans for a "March on Washington" to demand equal employment opportunities for African-Americans. During the war years, segregation itself came under strong criticism, with a "Rosa Parks Incident" occuring on an Army bus in Texas. A young African-American lieutenant refused a white driver's order to move to the back of a bus, and was court-martialed for his defiance. The case became a cause-celebre in both the black and white press, and the officer was acquitted of all charges. That officer, Jack Roosevelt Robinson, would have more to accomplish on the 1940s civil rights front, where before the decade was out he would become a hero to two million white people in Brooklyn, a national hero to African-Americans, and in general one of the most admired men in America.

Political pressures on the civil rights front were strong thruout the decade. Political pressure from African-American groups prompted federal regulations prohibiting racial discrimination in the defense industry, and further led to President Truman's 1948 order commanding the desegregation of the Armed Forces, a process which was completed by 1954. The "White Primary" system, long used in the South to keep blacks from the polls, was abolished as unconstitutional by the U. S. Supreme Court in 1944, a vital step toward the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

All this being the case, to consider the "Civil Rights Movement" a phenomenon of the fifties and sixties is to give short shrift to an entire generation of activists who built the road the Freedom Riders rode on.

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Myth Turned Fact:
Nothing even tangentially relevant to our times began before the 1950s.
Anything before is primitive, is background, is irrelevant in the extreme.

images

Color photo of NBC-TV mobile unit at 1939 World's Fair.
Full-size file taken offline, because why should we care?

Last edited:

Flicka

One Too Many
Myth: in the good old days, employers cared about their employees rather than money, and the workers were loyal to their employers. In fact, they worked together, like a family, unlike now when it's all about money.

Fact: there has never been more conflict between employers and employees in Britain than during the '20s. The British economy slumped and tensions ran high.

I quote the National Archives' home page for a summary:

After the war Britain suffered a major economic slump and industrial relations took a noticeable downturn. The staple industries like steel, coal, shipbuilding and textiles were hit the hardest. Strikes increased dramatically from 1918, culminating in 85 million working days lost in 1921. As Chancellor, Winston Churchill insisted Britain tie its currency to the gold standard. Although this helped protect the assets of the wealthy, it made British exports more expensive and damaged staple industries further.

The response of many employers in these industries was to cut wages, lengthen working hours or lay off workers altogether. Understandably, this increased strike action. Although there were also plenty of other disputes, including major strikes on the docks and in the railway industry, the most significant was the General Strike of 1926.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82