Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My latest Vintage Leather-

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
'30s maybe '40s-
4a_1_b.jpg

f5_1_b.jpg

This is my English Patient, Schindler's List, Better than Indy's jacket thing-
$29.

B
T

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Holy Smokes, Bruddah!
You must have been wearing a mask and packin' some heat when you picked up that steal! :cheers1:

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Like it?
Naah- no heat-packin, it came from Germany, just down the road from here...
...or pick something new for around £400/$700-

European vintage leather is cheap, plentiful and stylish too.

I like the detailing- the scalloping/front, back yokes and the double breasted style.
It's not in the closet yet, there's a chance it may be too big... :cry:

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Leather Update-

Here's a '30s Russet coloured Goatskin jacket I picked up a few weeks back.
I have a camera now!

DSCN0237.jpg

DSCN0238.jpg

DSCN0239.jpg

This is a Swedish one- I bought it in Denmark for around $30-ish in a junk shop and it fits! It has a little 'patina' but the lining is spot on. It's nice to find a European jacket in Goatskin, it lasts really well, is supple and very strong.

B
T

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I like it a lot!

Welcome back BT, wherever you have wandered. Jacket is a looker! shame it's not my size, haha, or I'd have it off your back. very very nice. :cheers1: wear in good health.

zeus36

A-List Customer
BellyTank said:
Like it?
N
It's not in the closet yet, there's a chance it may be too big... :cry:

B
T

Hmmm, I can pull off a size 44 if it dosen't fit you.

I have just about the same jacket, but it is a full length WWII German coat.

I've been looking for a nice 3/4, if you need to re-sell it ;)

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I am kicking myself for not having my buddy pick up something like that for me when he lived in Germany for school... I recently retired my only vintage leather, and it's killing me because now... even my FS Indy jacket is too baggy for my taste. I like the thirties cut. I'm spoiled :cry:

Baggers

Practically Family
That's some great looking leather, BT, especially the first one. I may have to start culling my "herd" a bit this summer so I can add one like it!

Cheers!

zeus36

A-List Customer
BellyTank said:
'30s maybe '40s-
4a_1_b.jpg

f5_1_b.jpg

This is my English Patient, Schindler's List, Better than Indy's jacket thing-
$29.

B
T

I just noticed that is the same jacket worn by Doctor Who on the new series.

lots of folks lookin' for one of those now!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc Chevalier said:
I've got one that's identical to it, but somewhat beaten-up. Found it in Chile, which received it from Germany ...

Can we then make assumptions regarding the wartime affiliations of its original owner?

I wish that sucker didn't fitcha, BT...

scotrace said:
Can we then make assumptions regarding the wartime affiliations of its original owner?

Nope, because Chile has been mass-importing used clothing from Germany, Canada and the U.S.A. since 1992. Bales of old clothes arrive weekly, and their contents are distributed to used clothing stores all over the country. For some strange reason, lots of pre-WWII overcoats, leather jackets, and (orthodox Jewish?) frock coats are included in the bales from Germany. I've always wondered if they belonged to -- dare I say it? -- the victims of concentration camps. After all, where did the clothing of six million people go?

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Now THAT is...

...a genuinely disturbing thought!

"I've always wondered if they belonged to -- dare I say it? -- the victims of concentration camps. After all, where did the clothing of six million people go?"

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Veronica Parra said:
After all, where did the clothing of six million people go?

They were partly destroyed right away and partly sent back to Germany for second hand use and further processing. A real industry in fact.

But they certainly weren't hidden for fifty or sixty years, and then sold to Chile.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I believe you, but ... what was war-devastated Germany (or the rest of Europe, for that matter) going to do with hundreds of thousands -- if not millions -- of black frock coats once worn by orthodox Jewish men? Think about it. Apparently, they didn't tear all the coats up for scrap.

Incidentally, Germany exports its used clothing to Africa and former Soviet Union satellite states, as well as to Chile. I'd say that about 5% of what arrives in Chile is from the pre-World War II era (1930s and early '40s), though some of the frock coats, chesterfield overcoats, waistcoats, and cinch-back trousers date all the way back to the 1890s. How would you explain this plethora of prewar German clothing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally