Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

missing my HH jacket

Mark

Practically Family
Hi

A few months ago a sold on my Aero FQHH Highwayman and used the funds to buy a Cirrus Lancaster jacket. I can hear the sighs of disbelief! I loved that Aero jacket to bits but i found it just too much, the weight and stiffness of the leather. It became unwearable for me. Don't get me wrong the Cirrus is a top notch jacket just as well made as any other top brand. The leather is cow and is quite nice, very light and easy to wear, seems well tanned too. It just lacks the character of the HH jacket. It is very "flat", cannot imagine it will develop much in the way of patina.
Anyway, i once again find myself looking longingly at the Aero Sale/Used pages, theres a very nice Aeromarine made by an apprentise but looks a bit short (21.5" drop, my jacket is a 24"). My question to you all is should i fight the urge? If not what are the options for a jacket that will have/develop the character/patina of my old Highwayman without the weight/stiffness.
I really need your help guys, i am in a bad place here!

ps The Cirrus cost me around £700 (had my own tarten put in, same as Aero use, that bumped up the price a bit), its a factor cos poor old Cirrus jackets fetch very little used.

Thanks all

Mark

wdw

One Too Many
I'm sorry for your loss.

I definitely wouldn't get a too-short jacket just because it's cheap though. I thought FQHH was lighter than steer, so is cow lighter than FQHH?

Sounds like you just have to keep your eye on the Aero sale page, or you could phone or email to see if anything is coming up.

Mark

Practically Family
thanks, its cow (lady) as opposed to steer (chap). Its much much thinner than HH or Steer.

andyfalzon

Vendor
If I may intrude,
Weight of the hide refers to thickness. Tanneries can make hides as thick as they want so generalized statements such as FQHH is lighter that steer, or cow is thinner than steer don't hold. In other words, a 2mm thick cow will naturally be heavier than a 1mm FQHH.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I agree with wdw. Wait til something comes up that will fit you properly - 3" is a hella undershoot! As far as hide options, how about mid-weight HH? Something in tumbled would mean it would more flexible out of the box, and I think it's a little lighter feeling as well. It must be something to do with my jacket, but I've never found the HH too heavy or too stiff. [huh]
I tried this on in the factory, it's a nice one: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1450

Mark

Practically Family
If I may intrude,
Weight of the hide refers to thickness. Tanneries can make hides as thick as they want so generalized statements such as FQHH is lighter that steer, or cow is thinner than steer don't hold. In other words, a 2mm thick cow will naturally be heavier than a 1mm FQHH.
Thanks for that, i think you are right up to a point, but would say that "generally" HH is heavier and certainly stiffer than steer/cow, steer is quite often thicker but softer/flexable and cow is almost always lighter, thinner and more flexable. Just a shame its the FQHH that seems to develop greater chareacter/patina than any other hide that i'm aware of.
Cheers

Mark

Practically Family
I agree with wdw. Wait til something comes up that will fit you properly - 3" is a hella undershoot! As far as hide options, how about mid-weight HH? Something in tumbled would mean it would more flexible out of the box, and I think it's a little lighter feeling as well. It must be something to do with my jacket, but I've never found the HH too heavy or too stiff. [huh]
I tried this on in the factory, it's a nice one: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1450
Thanks for that, i wonder if thats the reason why that particular Aeromarine is so cheap (£700 odd for the revised model on Aero site) the fact its quite short i mean, shame looks good other wise. I have seen that jacket before, (i'm always looking at the size 36's) not too keen on black, got to be brown for me.
Cheers

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mark, I did the same as you - sold off an Aero HH half-belt that had in turn turn sold off to me by someone here. Lovely looking object but I hated wearing it. So I've now got a half-belt in goat (which is my favorite leather anyway) on order. I still have a heavy cowhide half-belt too that I may flip. I just don't find the mood or opportunity often enough to wear a 3 oz or thicker hide. They simply aren't for everyone and that's okay.

schitzo

Suspended
Thanks for that, i think you are right up to a point, but would say that "generally" HH is heavier and certainly stiffer than steer/cow, steer is quite often thicker but softer/flexable and cow is almost always lighter, thinner and more flexable. Just a shame its the FQHH that seems to develop greater chareacter/patina than any other hide that i'm aware of.
Cheers

He's not right up to a point, he's right!

And you are right about the character thing. I suggest you man up and get another FQHH jacket. The compromise can be getting one as short as you can manage so as to have the minimum amount of weight on your shoulders. A 30s halfbelt, pioneer, dustbowl or original hercules are all (supposed to be) very short styles

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
From the jacket's description, I think the FQHH didn't suit the style - it needs a softer leather to get the drape - and the pattern wasn't quite finessed. I know what you mean about the brown, it's hard to beat it, though I wouldn't ignore cordovan if you're looking for depth of colour and patina.

andyfalzon

Vendor
Cheers

Just FYI, stiffness or softness is a matter of tanning. Did you know there is horse nappa? Again, developing of character and patina depends on the tanning and finishing of the hides.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
thanks, its cow (lady) as opposed to steer (chap). Its much much thinner than HH or Steer.

I don't know if it makes a difference in the hide, but a steer USED to be a bull. When I was a boy I watched my grandfather, uncle, and uncle's friend wrestle a young bull to the floor of my grandfather's barn and using a tool that looked like pliers stretch a thick rubber band around the poor bull's beans. When the band contracts, the circulation is cut off, and within a week or so, the bull becomes a steer.

Edward

Bartender
I don't know if it makes a difference in the hide, but a steer USED to be a bull. When I was a boy I watched my grandfather, uncle, and uncle's friend wrestle a young bull to the floor of my grandfather's barn and using a tool that looked like pliers stretch a thick rubber band around the poor bull's beans. When the band contracts, the circulation is cut off, and within a week or so, the bull becomes a steer.

Back in Ireland, we called what you guys call a steer a "bullock".

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks everyone for your comments. As Schitzo suggested I have "manned-up" and requested a new FQHH Highwayman from Aero in Cordovan.
I feel foolish having sold my old on (brown) but you live and learn. This time I will ask for slightly slimmer arms, last jacket arms were way big.

Thanks again

Mark

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Excellent choice. You just have to promise to post pics when you get it, as I don't think we don't see enough cordovan on the Lounge, especially as HWM.

schitzo

Suspended
Thanks everyone for your comments. As Schitzo suggested I have "manned-up" and requested a new FQHH Highwayman from Aero in Cordovan.
I feel foolish having sold my old on (brown) but you live and learn. This time I will ask for slightly slimmer arms, last jacket arms were way big.

Thanks again

Mark

You're welcome! Cordovan is a good call too. Hopefully it won't bleed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82