Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Merged Hatter Thread

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Russ said:
Since COW membership is free and available to all, I think this is a symbolic gesture aimed at the Fedora Lounge as an institution and its policy makers -- not its members. I think it communicates Steve's point very effectively.

I disagree. What Steve appears to be saying is that if you're a member here then he will no longer extend a courtesy to you in the form of a price break that he apparently offered right up until this unfortunate war of words. This is punitive, personal and sad on many levels.

As a fomer customer of his and someone who intends to remain a member of the Lounge, the best I can do is offer him good luck in his endeavors and wish him well.

Russ

One of the Regulars
Members

I doubt that FL membership will nullify one's COW membership. Besides, the FL member list is not viewable (while the COW member list is) and FL members don't wear badges. We don't need no stinkin' badges. :)

In addition, many of Fedora's friends and supporters are members of both forums.

For these reasons I believe it can only be interpreted as mostly symbolic. Of course, those who are members only of this forum and who have chosen to publicly deride Steve's decision may find in the future that even a symbolic gesture has teeth.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Then make it so....

Geez. This thread is gone to the dogs. This is a HAT forum, not a political, he said she said, you did this , so I do that!:rage:

MK Apologized.

Nobody wants you to leave Steve. And many don't like the way the new FL policy of vendors/tag lines came out.

But it happened.

Remember, some people are paying a few hundred dollars for the banner, and others are getting by with nothing contributed, and the FREE tag line.

So, maybe a "donation" from hat vendors would be nice? It is not up to me.

Honduran

New in Town
Males Posture

I don't know either protagonist, nor am I one to take sides. The owner of the forum can do as he pleases, even if that means changing established guidelines, and those of us who contribute (or merely lurk) can determine for ourselves if we can tolerate same.

From where I sit, what's gotten out of hand is all the "male posturing", the displays of bravado that act as attempts to force the other to back down. It's a common trait in the animal kingdom, probably even universal, and it just goes to show how humans haven't evolved beyond it. We all deal with it - an employee at work, a sibling, a school rival, or a business associate. Supporters take sides. Resolution brings separation.

Go your separate ways, gentlemen. Both can feel vindicated, and the communities you've established will carry on.

Bryan

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I spoke to Sreve Delk on this matter.

Canadave said:
OK, I was with him right up until this point. Why would he punish FL members for the action of MK...an action that most seem to disagree with?

David

This is what he told me........

He was writing in anger. He will continue to offer the discounts to The Fedora Lounge. Afterall, it is not their fault. He is sorry he was inclusive to all members. That was unfair.

In order to start paying for advertising, a price increase is necessary. Since he refuse to raise his prices in order to advertise, he will not advertise, here at TFL, or anywhere else.

Canadave

One Too Many
Andykev said:
Geez...This is a HAT forum...

Not really. Not anymore. Of the most recent 117 posts, only 22 were in the "Hats" section, and besides, this thread occurs in The Observation Bar, where "off topic" discussions are welcomed.

David

Michael Bradley

New in Town
Samsa said:
...it remains true that the members (including vendors) are what has made this such a great place.

I'm a newbie, both to hats and the the Lounge; I'm chiming in only because I've learned an enormous amount about hats on this forum, from vendors and non-vendor members. So, first, I'd like to say thanks to MK for providing the forum and to all who've generously contributed their knowledge and experience.

MK, an idea that perhaps you're already considering: how about letting those vendors who have steadily and loyally been contributing to the success of the Lounge advertise at significantly lower (and affordable) rates. I don't know what that amount might be that would be affordable by those vendors - especially those who are artisan craftsmen more than they are owners of commercial operations - and that would also be enough to matter, to make a dent (bad pun intended). But why not grandfather those artisan vendors - probably fewer than six in number - whose past (and continuing) contributions could reasonably be considered payment in kind.

Michael Bradley (a newbie with two Optimo felts on order :) )

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Those that were with us in the early days will always be remembered.

The vendors that are on this board have contacted us and most have found one of our sponsor opportunities that will work for them.

I am considering this issue resolved and won't be commenting in this thread anymore regarding vendor policy. If someone has a question or suggestion they can PM or e-mail me.

Thank you all for your input and sorry for the ruckus that should have been avoided.

S

Samsa

Yes, this is very good news! I'm only sorry that it's "most" instead of "all." But, I am glad to hear that it has been resolved to most people's satisfaction.

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
Time to close.

I have the funniest cartoon of a man beating a dead horse but I can seem to load it here.
Trust me, its funny.

MoggyMan

New in Town
Boys will be Boys

Of the most recent 117 posts, only 22 were in the "Hats" section, and besides, this thread occurs in The Observation Bar, where "off topic" discussions are welcomed.

Just out of curiousity, how many of the 117 were from women?

'Nuff said.

Don

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe