Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maybe you were around back then?

Reincarnation, eh? In order to believe in this, i guess you must concede that there is something to be transmitted from the body after death - commonly referred to as the soul. I don't believe in the soul (other than as an abstract figment of our over active imaginations) so i can't believe in reincarnation.

bk

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Same with me T in T...

Tony in Tarzana said:
My Dad was born in 1906 and my Mom in 1916, so I sometimes feel part of an older generation even though I was born in 1961.

My dad was born in 1901 and my Mom in 1912. My Dad was like a living history book and during the twelve years that I knew him he filled my head with stories of "the olden days". My fascination with the Titanic stems from the fact that my mother was born the same year as the sinking - it boggled my young mind that the ship was submerged throughout her entire life!

As far as experiences; during a particularly dark, depressing period in my life (post divorce, bankruptcy - you know, the usual stuff!!). I was awakened from a nap by my long-dead father's voice. He said my name and and very clearly and distinctly the word's "You Are More Than You Think You Are". I woke up and looked for him in the house, it was so real I would have sworn he was there.

Those words have become my personal mantra, as it were, and I find myself repeating them and meditating on them often. There is a message in there, I've come to believe.

I've come to understand this life as a kind of High School - you gotta get that diploma before they'll let you into a heavenly college somewhere. A few of us have got to repeat a grade occasionally to get it right. Now, High School is a fun place, and very educational, but I don't want to spend my 'whole life' there, if you know what I mean. I look forward to a 'higher' education!

(Now yer gittin to know me!)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Reincarnation, eh? In order to believe in this, i guess you must concede that there is something to be transmitted from the body after death - commonly referred to as the soul. I don't believe in the soul (other than as an abstract figment of our over active imaginations) so i can't believe in reincarnation.

bk

You have never experienced any paranormal phenomena, I take it?
I can say that I know I have a non-corporal entity,...uhh, energy, or soul as it is commonly reffered to within my physical self, as I have experienced 3 out of body incidents in my life.
All well before recent discoveries in theoretical physics which put VERY simply and briefly, state that there are different types of matter in the universe, and that there are parrallel dimensions in space/time. In short, there is WAY more to this universe than meets our eyes in this dimension we call physical reality. :)

Twitch

There have been many well-documented cases of people knowing all about a deceased person which they couldn't have known so there is something at work there.

I don't feel as though I personally am reincarnated. I simply like combat aircraft of the WW 2 era and autos from about 1930-1970. I like the personas in those fields that made the machines come alive for me too.
p-40_turns.gif

th_arg-green-car.gif

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
Interesting discussion! I'm not really sure about this one. I've alsways had this strange feeling I was run straight through with a blade when I lay down. Never really been able to explain it based on my experiences, so I've wondered if it's a lingering memory. But I remain unconvinced as of yet. Maybe I've just watched Braveheart too much :D

One thing that always intrigued me are the people that can speak a foreign language whilst having never been exposed to it before. I remember seeing a story about some mid-western farmboy that would speak Chinese in his sleep. If it's legit, that's a hard one to explain, although you could also attribute it to racial memories or possible some undiscovered mental power.

An interesting thing to mull on is that most attribute reincarnation strictly to eastern religions, but there is some limited precedent for reincarnation in the Bible. For instance, John the Baptist was supposedly Elijah the prophet reincarnated. Some might dismiss this as reincarnation since Elijah was said to have entered heaven without death and thus his return would be different. But still, it makes you think. The scientist in me thinks that if it was possible then (even if only once), then it's just as possible now.

Marc

Benny Holiday

As long as you don't feel like you're being hung, drawn and quartered!

That'd be more than enough to give you a hundred nightmares!

As far as Biblical references to reincarnation, the context in which John the Baptist is likened to Elijah is in that he spoke in the spirit of Elijah, that is, with the conviction and the same message as Elijah. The Bible never mentions reincarnation (or else what's the point of a bodily resurrection?). Mind you, a lot of the Jewish scholars of the day misunderstood the same references, and thought perhaps Elijah himself might one day return to Israel.

funneman

Practically Family
One more...

I used to have a friend who would swear if asked a child of three or four "do you remember, when you were big?" they would tell you all about a past life.

Names, clothing all sorts of details. I

Miss_Bella_Hell

I believe in Occam's Razor

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem,
which translates to:
Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity.
which translates to:
The simplest explanation is most likely to be true

CharlieH.

One Too Many
To put it plainly, I don't believe in reincarnation... however I do question my beliefs from time to time. One time I was reviewing a film from the 1939 world's fair, and for a few frames, this fella walks into the frame... one that bore an eerie resemblance to yours truly (even had the same outfit I had at the time!). Made me feel like Jack Torrance from The Shining.
(But then again, haven't we all been through something similar?)

221b

Familiar Face
Reincarnation

I don't believe in reincarnation either, but its fun to watch old movies and shows!
Maj.Nick, thanks for the compliment. My avatar is actually Jeremy Brett who played Sherlock Holmes ( If you already knew that, I'm sorry if I offended you ) Jeremy does have that Victorian look. Love that Homburg. Sherlock might be jealous of Fortinos collection:D

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Thomas of Occam is a Great Starting Point for Me

I'm very close to 70 and have passed my time in 8 different decades thus far. I have studied physics and metaphysics. The human potential movement which started to flower in the '60s and '70s doesn't owe me a dime. That which I studied and was able to learn probably saved my life and definitely enhanced my ability to live, love and enjoy my life.

The most important advice I got after the instructions in the use of a few simple techniques was to only accept as truth that which I experienced, to try to live in the present moment and to try to see the value of acceptance and love in all that I did.

I think that I'll find it pleasant if the ideas of Mystics, Religionists and the Metaphysical are true and will be my new playground after I pass on.

Because of my particular inclination to try andfigure it out I was cautioned against that approach to self knowledge/awareness.

In a relatively short time, again given my years, all the secrets of the Universe will be revealed to me or they won't or there aren't any... :cheers1:

Wild Root

Gone Home
Interesting topic we have here… As a Christian, I don’t believe in such things… but, I am very aware that I have a strong hold and connection with the past… mainly 1936 to 1946 For me, those years are the Zenith of my passion for the past. Some things I have done wile driving my old car or doing something for the first time evokes emotions I can’t really explain! One morning, some old AT-6’s flew over my house over Memorial Day weekend… it woke me up but, there I heard the deep growl and moan of those old planes… I could almost hear an old Air Raid siren sound! For a split second I felt a touch of what some may have felt during Pearl Harbor… scary! When ever I see my Old 48 star flag fly and hear the sound of those planes… Erie! I get this very sad but warm feeling… I feel so at home around my old stuff… I can’t explain it. Music plays a very strong part in evoking feelings toward the past. Each time I hear Moonlight Serenade, I feel like crying, same with “At Last” “Serenade In Blue” and some other big band songs… maybe that’s why I have such a love for Miller’s music… I don’t know why I love this period so but, it sure beats the pants off the one I’m in now. I’ll just lay on my bed and hear one of the songs I mentioned, close my eye and envision being on a blanket in the moonlight, at a Miller performance at some privet engagement… sitting there with some one special and not being able to do this makes me sad… I feel before I came to earth, I witnessed everything that happened here before my time was here… and I’m sure I was begging to be sent during the 20’s to the 50’s… just wasn’t my time no matter how much I wanted it to be.

Good night,
=WR=

This photo is close to my day dream I seem to have... just with out the Miller band.

pack40red9qv.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld