Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mallory just arrived!

Razzman

One Too Many
This Mallory Ten, Mallory Cravenette just arrived. It is a medium brown in color with a darker brown ribbon. It has 2 1/2" bound brim. Crown height is 4" front, 4 3/4" in the rear. The grosgrain ribbon is 1 3/8". The ribbon binding on the brim is 1/2" and a different color, I'm not sure it's original??? You can see the stitches where it was sewn on. I'm hoping you Loungers out there can date this hat, and tell me a little about it. Also, should it be a center dent, or a teardrop? I would appreciate any info on this hat. :D
Thanks,

a>

a>

a>

a>

Nice hat. I think the ribbon and binding are original but I have never seen the binding stitched that way. It could just be decorative. I don't mind it myself. The ribbon and binding are almost never the same color in hats of this age. It is usually a complementary color.
By the shape of the hat, brim width, liner and sweatband I am going to say it is likely from the 1940s. The Premier quality was a nice hat of the time. I am partial to a few of mine of the same quality.
I think it looks fine as it is. The teardrop is just fine. You can wear it either way though. Now you just have to put it on and enjoy. :fedora:

Regards,

J

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice hat Razzman. I dig the stitching accent and it has a beautiful liner too.

Razzman

One Too Many
Thanks everyone.:) Now I'm going to try and shape the hat to my liking. I'm not sure exactly how to do it. I've been reading the different threads here at the Lounge. Perhaps somebody could provide instructions.[huh]

havershaw

Practically Family
that is a beautiful hat.
I got a little obsessed with Mallory hats in the last couple of months. I concur with the 40s, but I think it's an early 40s. I have a couple of Mallorys with very similar liners that had store receipts with them from 1944 and 1947, and your liner just looks "older" than that - but that's just my gut.
If I were you, I wouldn't really change anything about the hat. It looks great from those photos, though I might be inclined to simply deepen the front creases.
congratulations! I love Mallory hats.

I have nothing original to add, Razzman, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway: That is one sharp-looking lid. Love that edge treatment. Is the color pretty much as it appears in the photos?

Razzman

One Too Many
Thanks Havershaw, I would like to deepen the front creases. I tried to work it bit this afternoon, but it doesn't hold. I'm going to need some instructions on how to shape or reshape and have it hold.:eusa_doh:

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Bound edge is my favorite...

I think you bought yourself a winner. A little steam and a good brushing and it will look brand new. I'm happy for you and wear it in good health...:eusa_clap

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Razzman said:
It's actually a little darker than it appears in the photos!

The hat or the edge treratment? Again, a lovely lid, wouldn't change much.
Sharptoys is right, a little steam is ok.
Shape it a little bit at a time, steam to give a little hold, repeat until you have the desired effect. Pretty simple actually as long as you're not afraid to poke and pinch as needed and take your time. There's no rush. If it doesn't look right you can always prod it into it's original shape as the felt has had that 'shape memory' for quite some time. Hope this helps a little.

Cheers!

Dan

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
A stiffner may be called for.

Scout hat stiffener...

Scout hat stiffener. Is your favorite hat looking a little out of shape? Restore body and shape to your felt hats - Restores the velvety feel - Also protects from water stains.

Can be ordered on line or western shops carry it.

Try the steam first alot of times steaming will release the stiffner that is already in your hat. Go slow and have fun with it.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally