Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London

tonypaj

Practically Family
I'll be in London Sat-Sun. Will watch LFC-ManU in a pub with a friend who comes from Paris, early kick-off, and would like to check out 2nd hand clothes shops afterwards. Any suggestions by anyone? Leather jackets are always interesting, other gear, as well.

The hotel will be close to Camden Lock, if that helps. The pub to watch the match can be anywhere, as long as I can get a nice pint of bitter, shops preferably close by. I have no problems getting around, but it's been 25 years since I lived there, and a couple of years since my last visit, so I'm massively out of touch...

Edward

Bartender
Can't advise on good place to watch a match because I don't do sport, but in terms of the shopping..... don't bother with Camden. You'll see why when you see it....

The Portobello Road area is much better in particular there are some good clothing places in and around the Westway centre, at the Latimer Grove end of the road.

Old Hat in Fulham http://www.timeout.com/london/shops/venue/2:18499/old-hat

I'm told Hornets is good http://www.hornetskensington.co.uk/Hornets_Kensington/Home.html

Covent Garden - http://www.americanclassicslondon.com/ - stocks Buzz Rickson etc.... at Buzz Rickson etc prices....

I'm told Hornetts in Kensington is worth a nose. http://www.hornetskensington.co.uk/Hornets_Kensington/Home.html

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
I completey understand what Edward says, Camden Market is a real tourist trap these days but there are still few gems amongst the huge, redeveloped Stables Market. You need a good few hours though and if you're sinking a few pints you may not have the time.

My stomping ground is Covent Garden and as well as American Classics (which I love but they do mark up their goods somewhat...) I like to check out Mint, The Vintage Showroom and Blackout 2 (more for the ladies but some very decent suits).

Have fun!

Panacheman

Familiar Face
Camden Market is a tourist trap but that's not to say there arn't deals and finds to be had the stables is the place to check out there but watch out for some vintage stores charging top dollar for what is essentially vintage junk. then again Ive had some great finds in places asking for rock bottem prices but be prepared to dig to find them good note for in the market a price tag means you should probably haggle no price tag means you should defiantly haggle but if its on a rack with a sign saying this rack 10 pounds don't bother haggling but do look. the keen and knowledgeable eye can find diamonds in the rough.

covent garden is definatly worth a look rokit vintage is a little more for the youth crowd but can have some good stuff if you look and wow retro on mercer is worth a browse and both are within a block of one another and have good pricing. there are other vintage stores in the area same warning as camden though they may charge you through the nose for anything half decent
http://www.wowretro.co.uk/
http://www.rokit.co.uk/?page_id=1006

last port of call i can suggest is the area around the intersection of Brick lane and Cheshire street. vintage shops abound in this area and market stalls as well with vintage leather and other classic stuff

as far as pubs both covent garden and brick lane should be able to set you up with a good pub and a proper pint camden im sorry to say as i live here is a little short on places that anything better then the standard stuff on tap but venturing up towards kentish town you should be able to find a proper pub and a proper pint
hope that helps
carry on

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Just a point worth mentioning tonypaj. You asked for information on 2nd hand clothes but American Classics only sell new stuff.

If you give us all more detail of the type of clothing you're after I'm sure we'll have some places for you to check out.

Edward

Bartender
Just a point worth mentioning tonypaj. You asked for information on 2nd hand clothes but American Classics only sell new stuff.

If you give us all more detail of the type of clothing you're after I'm sure we'll have some places for you to check out.

oops, yes.... that was my bad! Good spot.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Oxfams everwhere! You never know..... I got an Anderson & Sheppard at the one in Islington a few years back--Have always had lots of luck. Enjoy!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I went to the Camden Market when last I was in London. It's an interesting place, although for clothes...I'm not sure. Not that there isn't lots of stuff to see there.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Vintage clothing in London can be a bit hit and miss. And the really good stuff is never cheap.I'd go with Brick Lane/Cheshire Street. It has a good mix of stores, plus there is cheap stuff for sale on the street stalls.

I was in one shop on Cheshire Street just before Xmas (I can't recall it's name) but it had a good selection of old American peacoats at very reasonable prices.

I am a real fan of Levinsons (also on Cheshire Street), in part because the staff are all friendly and seem to have been in the game a long time.

'This Shop Rocks' (on Brick Lane) appears to be a women's shop but once you are inside there are a few decent men's items. They also have a bargain basement that is worth checking: I found a pair of German dinner suit trousers that appeared to be about 70 years old lurking in the basement for £10.

It's also worth checking around to see if there are any one-off vintage markets hidden in any of the buildings around Brick Lane. Last time I was in the area at a weekend there were two that I only spotted by the sandwich boards outside. There were certainly some bargains to be had.

This guide is worth reading to give you an idea of most of the vintage shops in London:
http://www.thevintageguidetolondon.com/category/shops/mens-wear/

'Absolute Vintage' on Hanbury Street, E1 was a surprise. It looks like it is manily women's stuff but there is quite a bi of men's clothing as well. Lots of rubbish, but a few really nice items are hidden among them.

'21st Century Retro' at 162 Holloway Road, N7 can be interesting if you are happy to look through 200 moth eaten jackets in search of one fairly good item. The selection of coats can be interesting (although the good ones might just be hidden amidst a batch of 1980s Romanian raincoats!).

Good luck.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Thank you everyone, your advice is highly appreciated. Looks like I'll be hanging out at the Brick Lane area, should get a nice curry, as well (at least they used to have them...). However curry and a couple of pints, well, we all know what the end result of that is...

tonypaj

Practically Family
And to add to the people asking what I'm looking for, first black engineer boots, second old leather jackets. Boots I'd prefer to be new, leather jackets most definitely not, I have had enough of the latest and the greatest over the last few years...

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Can't help you too much with Brick Lane but as mentioned for Covent Garden, American Classics stock Red Wing boots including the Engineer boots (or did the last time I looked). Leather jackets are a bit hit and miss. I'd avoid Rokit unless you want something 80's styled. The Vintage Showroom http://www.thevintageshowroom.com/blog/?page_id=2 should have some very decent and properly old jackets but they'll be around £200+. Wow Retro on Mercer Street carries a lot of leather including some genuine bike jackets.

pipvh

Practically Family
Portobello Road - the stretch between the Westway and Goldbourne Road has two or three excellent vintage shops (and of course the vintage market under said Westway on Fridays). The area around Paddington Church Street used to have a couple of good ones as well but it's been years since I went up there. As someone else said, Hornets on Kensington Church Street and round the corner in Kensington Church Walk. The Vintage Showroom on Earlham St is well worth a visit - couple of others on Earlham St too.

Edward

Bartender
Thank you everyone, your advice is highly appreciated. Looks like I'll be hanging out at the Brick Lane area, should get a nice curry, as well (at least they used to have them...). However curry and a couple of pints, well, we all know what the end result of that is...

Head for The Shampan (I especially recommend the lamb dishes). Very reasonably priced, and the best of all the BL curry houses I've used. For a quick lunch, though, the one with the "oldest restaurant on Brick Lane" sign has some good deals and is pretty good for a quick lunch. Most of them are grand, but the Shampan is definitely my pick.

And to add to the people asking what I'm looking for, first black engineer boots, second old leather jackets. Boots I'd prefer to be new, leather jackets most definitely not, I have had enough of the latest and the greatest over the last few years...

Boots.... depends what you're after, really. Camden you'll find a reasonable deal on something like a pair of Grinders, but you're into Covent Garden or whatever for Redwings and the likes. Best used leather jacket stalls I've seen are in the under-Westway part of the Portobello market.

Aether

One of the Regulars
Tony, for boots in the Brick Lane area check out Son of a Stag - http://www.sonofastag.com/ - they stock Red Wings. It's a nice shop. Also some nice vintage jackets etc to be had in the Spitalfields Market, which is just round the corner from Brick Lane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe