Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Something this thread has enlightened me to the fact of how much I'm now out of touch with where to buy 2nd hand vintage clothes in London.

I've lived and worked in London all my life and collected 1950's American clothes for 20 years but now buy virtually all my stuff sitting at my computer. Thinking about it anything I'm bought off line has been from dealers at music based weekenders like the Rockabilly Rave etc.

smoz

One of the Regulars
Jings, I live in Whitechapel and never been aware of that place - I must check it out soon!

I've been in there a couple of times, always found the staff very helpful, though if I recall correctly they only stock new items, no vintage. They have a Union Special chain stitch sewing machine in store so are able to alter the leg length of any jeans that you might buy from them.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Something this thread has enlightened me to the fact of how much I'm now out of touch with where to buy 2nd hand vintage clothes in London.

I've lived and worked in London all my life and collected 1950's American clothes for 20 years but now buy virtually all my stuff sitting at my computer. Thinking about it anything I'm bought off line has been from dealers at music based weekenders like the Rockabilly Rave etc.

That's the easier option these days... still some gems around, but an awful lot of "vintage" stores these days are overrun with tat from the Eighties (for which there is a big market, it seems). Some of the better places have a lot of Sixties these days - not my bag, but if you want to do the Mad Men thing, it's a good option.

I've been in there a couple of times, always found the staff very helpful, though if I recall correctly they only stock new items, no vintage. They have a Union Special chain stitch sewing machine in store so are able to alter the leg length of any jeans that you might buy from them.

To be honest, for a lot of things these days I'd rather buy new. I'll definitely check them out. I have a pair of Engineer boots I bought some years ago, pair of Grinders with the commando soles, steel toe caps and the big chunky buckles. Great in the snow recently, but a bit clumpy for very regular wear. I'm keeping an eye out for a pair that are a bit neater and lighter, more traditional. The Red Wings (Engineers and work boots) could be just the thing.... when I have the cash, of course. Be nice to have somewhere close to home I can go try them on. I like to shop and buy local if it is possible, though I do often find I buy online simply due to cost and availability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe