Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Locals Annoyed by Hollywood Sign Tourists

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed this BBC video - especially the exceptionally annoying loud lady!

Also, I had no idea that the sign originally consisted of more than just "Hollywood"

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
I heard the report on BBC radio.

If people are behaving illegally or dangerously that's one thing, but I can't see how people can complain about others just visiting. It's a tourist landmark so it's going to attract tourists.

It's like people who move to the country and then complain that it sometimes smells of cow manure. What do people expect?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
It's a tourist landmark so it's going to attract tourists.

Yep I know the first time I visited LA (back in the 80's when I still lived in the UK) the Hollywood sign was one of the first things we went to see when we had some time off. Bit of an anticlimax to be honest - rather like going to see The Old Man of the Mountains here in New Hampshire, before the bloody thing fell off.

I remember that in those pre-GPS times, it was indeed hard to find.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Also, I had no idea that the sign originally consisted of more than just "Hollywood"

You might be interested in this snippet from findadeath.com:

The sign was built in 1923, and originally read HOLLYWOODLAND, for a real estate development along Beachwood Canyon. It cost $21,000 to build, and the letters are 30 feet wide and 45 feet tall. It was originally lit by 4000 light bulbs. Maintenance was discontinued in 1939, and in 1949 the LAND portion of the sign was removed. It was so rundown, that in 1978 the chamber of commerce restored it, and for $28,000 each, the following people sponsored the letters:

H - Terrence Donnelly, Publisher Hollywood Independent Newspaper

O - Giovanni Mazza, Italian movie producer

L - Les Kelley - Originator of the Kelley Blue Book

L - Gene Autrey - With his pioneer television station KTLA

Y - Hugh Hefner - Creator of Playboy Enterprises

W - Andy Williams - Singer

O - Warner Brothers Records

O - Alice Cooper - In memory of Groucho Marx

D - Dennis Lidtke

As per the video, I too think its silly that people should be so perturbed by tourists. In my city, there are camera clicking tourists everywhere, everyday. Though they have a slightly irritating habit of stopping in the middle of a fast moving crowd, I'm happy that people like the place enough to visit it in droves.

rue

"My people" crack me up.... Everyone knows that it's a tourist destination and if you move there you know what you're getting into.

It's like when I lived in Pebble Beach and everyone complained about the traffic from the Pro-Am and the Concours d'Elegance every year :rolleyes:

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
In my city, there are camera clicking tourists everywhere, everyday. Though they have a slightly irritating habit of stopping in the middle of a fast moving crowd, I'm happy that people like the place enough to visit it in droves.

I know what you mean.

Until recently I lived close to the Abbey Road studios where the Beatles had the cover of their album photographed.

Every day, without fail, there are groups of people recreating that shot.....and holding up the traffic to do so. On a quiet Sunday morning it's fine, but during the morning and evening peak times, it can be a pain. That said, I'd never tell people they can't do it.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've lived in tourist towns my whole life. That noise they make is the cash register dinging, so deal with it.

Exactly. I grew up in the Adirondacks, and we all had signs plastered all over our homes that said "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?" but in reality we would've starved without them. Even the ones with no regards for anything the locals held dear at least dropped cash. That and they were ceaseless forms of entertainment each year- typically each person had one or two run-ins with tourists that were comedic gold. You need some funny stories to tell during the long, dark, cold winter.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Busload of tourists drives into a gas station on the Maine coast and says to the old codger at the pumps "Hey there Clem, you got any live entertainment in this town?"

Old guy looks them over, spits on the ground, and says "We do now."

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I heard the report on BBC radio.

If people are behaving illegally or dangerously that's one thing, but I can't see how people can complain about others just visiting. It's a tourist landmark so it's going to attract tourists.

It's like people who move to the country and then complain that it sometimes smells of cow manure. What do people expect?

Like those people who move next to a 100 year old church and then want the bells stopped on a Sunday!

MikeBravo

One Too Many
One of the reasons the "land" was removed was because it made 13 letters which was considered unlucky

That and the popularity with suicides as the D was pretty high up and people kept jumping of it

Wasn't it a major feature in the Black Dahlia novel, with the "land" still attached?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I've lived in tourist towns my whole life. That noise they make is the cash register dinging, so deal with it.

This can go too far, sometimes, as anyone who has visited Niagara Falls in recent years would know...

That and the popularity with suicides as the D was pretty high up and people kept jumping of it

That's very interesting! It was rumoured that smalltime actress Peg Entwistle jumped from the "D" in her 1923 suicide, but it was actually the H.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sorry, but I'm with the residents in this beef. The back of the sign (there's nothing to see :eusa_doh:) has blown up (at least a tenfold increase) into a huge tourist attraction in recent years, due in large part to GPS and the Internet. While the location has been on the tourist maps for decades it is actually quite difficult to find if you're unfamiliar with the area, even with a map. Were I a resident of over five years I would be seriously pissed off.

We have neighbors here by the Rose Bowl that do the same.
Drives me nuts. If you buy a home near a landmark that draws crowds and creates noise, enjoy it or clam up.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
"My people" crack me up.... Everyone knows that it's a tourist destination and if you move there you know what you're getting into.

It's like when I lived in Pebble Beach and everyone complained about the traffic from the Pro-Am and the Concours d'Elegance every year :rolleyes:

You lived in Pebble Beach? Well, howdy (former) neighbor. I'm in the tourist beach town about 40-miles north. Did you ever come up that way? Our tourist population swells in the summer to a million people. I used to love the tourists. Then I just liked them. Then I sort of tolerated them. But that's three solid months of tourists. I'd be happy to have them for short spurts like the ProAm and Concourse - kind of like guests you're happy to see once a year because they don't wear out their welcome.

It appears that ignorance prevails ......

Awe shucks...
For some reason, it reminds me if Mr. Wilson on "Dennis The Menace" with his "keep off the grass".
I suppose these special places are just for the special folks that live there? I think not. You want quiet? Plenty of acres of free-from-annoying-humans still available. You live near a tourist point of interest, you get people. Dang them all.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That's very interesting! It was rumoured that smalltime actress Peg Entwistle jumped from the "D" in her 1923 suicide, but it was actually the H.

Hmm, I didn't know the sign was a spot for suicides, didn't realize it was high enough.

Trying to get more info, it seems Ms Entwistle was the only one to have done this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe