Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Locals Annoyed by Hollywood Sign Tourists

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Golden Era baseball parks were nearly all situated in residential neighborhoods; Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Comiskey Park, Ebbets Field, Yankee Stadium, etc........

A lot of these parks were built in fairly open areas, which then grew up around them -- if you look at pictures of Ebbets Field taken in 1913, when it first opened, you'll see open space all around. Same with Fenway, which was surrounded by swampland when it first opened. Comiskey was built on the site of a garbage dump. Braves Field was a former golf course. Forbes Field in Pittsburgh was on the edge of a public park.

The idea was that these places were built where land was cheap and open -- but when they became successful people actually *wanted* to build near them, whether for business or for residential purposes.

The ballpark with the closest proximity to residential neighbors was probably Shibe Park in Philadelphia, which had a entire street of residential apartment houses along the right field wall -- similar to Wrigley Field today, but even closer to the field. When Connie Mack couldn't get an injunction to keep the neighbors from letting people on their roofs to watch his games for free, he built a high tin fence in right field to block their view. So much for property values.

fans-outside-philadelphias-shibe-park-in-1913.jpg

There's an excellent book that explores the relationship between Shibe Park and its neighborhood -- more a detailed study of urban sociology than a sports book, "To Everything A Season: Shibe Park and Urban Philadelphia, 1909-1976," by Bruce Kuklick. Highly recommended for insights into how it's possible to balance the needs of a business against the needs of neighborhood residents.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
As I understand Mr. Lyles, he was attempting to explain that the famous Hollywood sign was formerly rather difficult to locate, for although it is a prominent landmark the road rout to its base is complicated, obscure, and difficult, and so the homes near this famous landmark were, until the arrival of GPS, remote and peaceful, and almost entirely free from tourist traffic.

All of this has CHANGED with the coming of GPS, so that this FORMERLY quiet neighborhood is now quite overrun with tourists and thrill-seekers. The homeowners in question apparently understood that they were buying places near a minor tourist attraction, but the change in tourist traffic which accompanied the increased accessibility of this sign engendered by the almost universal use of GPS has created quite a disturbance, and interferes with their quiet enjoyment of their property.

The problem here appears to be a lack of basic civility on the part of the tourists in question, and perhaps also now on the part of some of the homeowners in question. Of course, this modern age has no monopoly on annoying, pushy, destructive tourists. Those who doubt this might well re-read Twain's "Innocents Abroad".

I don't think I'd exactly classify the Hollywood sign as a "minor tourist attraction." It is recognizable worldwide.

I can understand being upset with people parking in driveways or yards. That's an easy fix: more or better signage. Better yet, start charging $10 or $20/car for driveway parking. :lol: We have a large PGA tournament here every year. The country club where it is held is located smack dab in the middle of one of the city's ritziest neighborhoods. They run shuttles and do other things to divert traffic, but many of the homeowners near the club take advantage and offer yard or driveway parking for varying prices. And every year, those driveways & yards are packed with cars. One homeowner I know makes enough in that week to more than cover his home's property taxes for the year.

Overall I can't say I side with the homeowners. They moved near an internationally-known landmark, and in today's world, Google Earth and GPS are commonplace. People are going to find it, and want to drive to it. The bottom line is that you can't stop progress. Deal with it, or move somewhere else.

Tourists bring in money, and being located near the sign almost certainly raises their property value.

Last edited:

MissMittens

One Too Many
uh huh.... spoken like a man that's never been to the track :p

OMG, I live 5 mins from the "Monster Mile"......happens twice every year......I wish Bubba would take his trailer home to Arkansas and take his Confederate Battle Flag with him. Oh wait, or was that Jonny, Billy-bob, Billy-joe......too many of them to know. But they all seem to answer to one of 4 names, hehe

You just described my family reunions. I can't remember a time my parents didn't fly the Confederate Naval Jack at our homes.

OMG, I live 5 mins from the "Monster Mile"......happens twice every year......I wish Bubba would take his trailer home to Arkansas and take his Confederate Battle Flag with him. Oh wait, or was that Jonny, Billy-bob, Billy-joe......too many of them to know. But they all seem to answer to one of 4 names, hehe

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I've been to one NASCAR race. A guy I was dating at the time had free tickets to the local track on the opening weekend after construction was completed. I found it repetitive and too loud. The fun really began after the race, when in trying to exit the parking lot, I witnessed an altercation between a NASCAR fan and his female companion and a police officer. This quickly escalated from arguing to the NASCAR fan trying to run the cop down with his car, and the wife attacking another female officer. Any enjoyment gleaned from the race was lost with the ensuing months of telephone calls from attorneys and insurance adjusters. :lol:

Last edited:

MissMittens

One Too Many
^ I've been to one NASCAR race. A guy I was dating at the time had free tickets to the local track on the opening weekend after construction was completed. I found it repetitive and too loud. The fun really began after the race, when in trying to exit the parking lot, I witnessed an altercation between a NASCAR fan and his female companion and a police officer. This quickly escalated from arguing to the NASCAR fan trying to run the cop down with his car, and the wife attacking another female officer. Any enjoyment gleaned from the race was lost with the ensuing months of telephone calls from attorneys and insurance adjusters. :lol:

LOL!!! This happens every time NASCAR is in town here. There are always drunken rednecks brawling, some of them female, and creating problems for those who live here. I just go out of town when they're here. I knew the track was in town when I moved here, so have no right to complain about it, so I just avoid it all and it goes away :D

MissMittens

One Too Many
[video=youtube;oSPAZIvgDtI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSPAZIvgDtI[/video]

Monster Mile's finest :D

[video=youtube;b7Tmsz1td00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Tmsz1td00&feature=related[/video]

Talladega's finest :D

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
being located near the sign almost certainly raises their property value.
I can't see how a quiet residential neighborhood being overrun with tourists will add to property values. The majority of the residents have no view of the sign so the benefit for them is have their small residential roadways packed with tourists. This influx of tourist traffic is a recent occurrence that the majority of residents did not buy into. The sign is perfectly viewable from many commercial areas of town. This is a case of people wanting a closer view.

[video=youtube;CrFE5NghXC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrFE5NghXC4&feature=related[/video]

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
The residents must have known that their neighborhood provided access to the sign, even if they don't have a view of it. They must have known that tourists would want a closer view of an internationally-known landmark, particularly one that involves a history of people being close to and climbing up the sign (suicides). And if your quiet residential street provides a "back door" entrance to that view - then it is completely logical to believe that at some point, and through rapidly advancing technology, others will figure that out. Just because it wasn't printed on tourist maps of 10 years ago, it seems inescapable that word would get out and people would figure out the available rear access through their 'hood. Everyone has the internet and GPS now. Did they really believe nobody would ever figure this otu? The residents may not be thrilled about it, but it just seems like a "comes with the territory" thing for me. Maybe it wasn't bad when they moved in, but when buying a home, it is important to think ahead. What's the old saying - location, location, location?

Again, if people are causing problems, sure. Post more signage and fix the problem, or move elsewhere. Maybe not adjacent to a landmark next time.

Last edited:

BigFitz

Practically Family
I can't see how a quiet residential neighborhood being overrun with tourists will add to property values. The majority of the residents have no view of the sign so the benefit for them is have their small residential roadways packed with tourists. This influx of tourist traffic is a recent occurrence that the majority of residents did not buy into. The sign is perfectly viewable from many commercial areas of town. This is a case of people wanting a closer view.

[video=youtube;CrFE5NghXC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrFE5NghXC4&feature=related[/video]

If people are trespassing, then they can be prosecuted. If they are not trespassing or violating any law, then the residents don't have much recourse other than trying to change or enact a new law. If this doesn't work, the sign can be taken down or the residents can move if the inconvienence is too much for them.

rue

They must have known that their neighborhood provided access to the sign, even if they don't have view of it. They must have known that tourists would want a closer view of an internationally-known landmark. And if your quiet residential street provides a "back door" entrance to that view - then it is more than reasonable to assume that at some point, and through rapidly advancing technology, others will figure that out. Just because it wasn't printed on tourist maps of 10 years ago, it seems to me that the residents should have expected that at some point, people would figure out the available access through their 'hood.

Unless the laws have changed since I lived out there, it is illegal for the real estate agent not to tell you that there are certain issues with your home.... if someone died in it for example or if someone buys a house on the 17 mile drive, they are told that it has a heavy traffic because of the tourists. I can't imagine that the people that bought homes there weren't warned. Heck I wouldn't have to be... I would just know.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ Exactly. Even if your street provided remote back access, it seems to me that you'd accept that people would figure that out.

Why don't the homeowners just get the neighborhood gated?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I can't imagine that the people that bought homes there weren't warned.
Warned of something that had yet to occur? Has it been mentioned enough that this is a very recent development......:frusty:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
The fact that the access was discovered by the general public is a recent development. The access itself was always there, no?

I'm just trying to understand the facts - is this a NEW road that is leading tourists in, or an existing road & well-kept secret that only recently has gotten out?

Last edited:
I think I'd take the NASCAR crowd over soccer fans any day. I still remember when the US hosted the World Cup in 1994. It was held at the Rose Bowl and there was a great deal of concern at the time because we didn't quite know what to expect.

[video=youtube;NO94eghqoCE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO94eghqoCE&feature=fvwrel[/video]

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe