Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafers

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
Bass is still very much in business. If you travel, you can find their outlet stores all over. In my part of the US, May Co. and Dillard?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s carries them.
The Wejun(sp?) penny loafer is what we all wore to high school back in the 60?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s
Regards,
Forrestal

CasaBlancaChuck

Familiar Face
Bass Loafers (and white bucks!)

Hi Zach...I recently ordered several pairs of Bass Weejuns (penny loafers) from this mail order outfit. (www.brownshoe.com) (Scroll down to "Bass" under the Brands heading) I was very satisfied with both the quality, and the fast return. Put your birth year penny in the loafer slot and you're sure to get some comments. I also ordered a pair of white bucks (ala Pat Boone) and was very pleased with them as well. They also have some nice saddles. These styles have been around for many...many years and haven't really changed...Alas, I have.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Speaking of pennies

I used to put pennies in my penny loafers. I forget what it means. And there are other meanings if you use other coins, as I remember...

But maybe these things are as lost as the Padiddle.

Mycroft

One Too Many
scotrace said:
I used to put pennies in my penny loafers. I forget what it means. And there are other meanings if you use other coins, as I remember...

But maybe these things are as lost as the Padiddle.

Not that I know of, why do you put a penny in them?

Zach R.

Practically Family
Mycroft said:
Yor welcome, tell me which did you pick? And how did they turn out? I might be getting a pair.

Well, I didn't quite pick yet, I'm going through all of the choices and seeing if I can scope them out in the area first so I can see them in person and try them on before I make my decision.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Sure

Very common. The penny goes in that little slot opening at the front of the shoe below the tongue. Hence "Penny" loafers.

Wicky'd it:

The mouth opening of the shoe soon was used to hold an ornamentation - perhaps a penny and thus penny loafers became a style. Penny loafers often held a dime instead of a penny. If a girl's date got out of line she could call home on a pay phone--which accepted dimes during most of the fifties and sixties.

A more worldly friend tells me a penny in your loafers meant "virgin," and a nickel in black loafers meant... well... not virgin.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am wearing a pair of cordovan Bass Weejuns right now! I have them in a bunch of colors.
And yes, the penny, I remember that. Though, if I recall correctly, it was only the girls at my school who did this.

Mycroft

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Very common. The penny goes in that little slot opening at the front of the shoe below the tongue. Hence "Penny" loafers.

Wicky'd it:

The mouth opening of the shoe soon was used to hold an ornamentation - perhaps a penny and thus penny loafers became a style. Penny loafers often held a dime instead of a penny. If a girl's date got out of line she could call home on a pay phone--which accepted dimes during most of the fifties and sixties.

A more worldly friend tells me a penny in your loafers meant "virgin," and a nickel in black loafers meant... well... not virgin.

How enlightening, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally