Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk about wool coats, jackets, and vests

RiteStuffBryan

One of the Regulars
Awesome old jacket there.
I tend to prefer longer stuff when it comes to wool because I'm used to it keeping my rear end warm, but I'm not against something like that.
Actually I'd really like to eventually get something like it.
It’s nice to mix things up, this is a great short one but long ones are nice to have too for the aforementioned reasons.

Here’s one in 1946 that’s almost identical but seems slightly longer? Either that or he sized up one.

D5E14C33-89DD-47B5-B036-8673E268A08E.jpeg

WOW!!!! DO tell the story....where on earth did you find that?

This was a lucky find on yahoo actions, went for not much from some store that specializes in used women’s luxury bags lol

It’s nice to mix things up, this is a great short one but long ones are nice to have too for the aforementioned reasons.

Here’s one in 1946 that’s almost identical but seems slightly longer? Either that or he sized up one.

View attachment 491554

This was a lucky find on yahoo actions, went for not much from some store that specializes in used women’s luxury bags lol
Incredible! That’s a grail piece if I’ve ever seen one. Not a term I throw around lightly as it’s been diluted IMO but that jacket….WOW! Windward jackets are incredible and one could easily argue they are the defining point of luxury outerwear for the era.

I’ve all but given up my hopes for a jacket like yours in my size and turned my attention to the Western style wools from the 40’s and 50’s. They seem to have withstood the years better for whatever reason and aren’t quite as scarce. I’m diligently looking for a square dance partner for this one. I’ve worn this just about everyday since it arrived.
D1C862FD-E4E1-4B36-89C0-EB7B4D70CC0E.jpeg

Ben Langworthy

New in Town
Had a very lucky find in here in the UK: a late 1930s - mid 1940s? Sportclad which just arrived today:
1723237139594.png

1723237153887.png

These are the sellers photos I will take more over the weekend. It's a beut' and fits me nicely. It does have a couple of issues: one of the side pulls is missing and some sensitive darning is needed at the corners of the pockets but I'm not complaining at for £30 including postage!

LukeST

New in Town
Had a very lucky find in here in the UK: a late 1930s - mid 1940s? Sportclad which just arrived today:
View attachment 632202
View attachment 632203

These are the sellers photos I will take more over the weekend. It's a beut' and fits me nicely. It does have a couple of issues: one of the side pulls is missing and some sensitive darning is needed at the corners of the pockets but I'm not complaining at for £30 including postage!
This is excellent. Great find.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I scored this 50's Woolrich 503 off Ebay back in January and it was hard to wear anything else, this is an awesome piece that quickly became one of my favorites.
20240129_130639.jpg

The storm cuff knitts are in excellent condition, and it has just a few spots of well done subtle darning to keep it honest.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 632202
View attachment 632203

Please do more pictures. I have several Sportclads like this. The zipper appears to be a mid 40s
Conman zipper. Nice find!!

Peacoat

Bartender
I scored this 50's Woolrich 503 off Ebay back in January and it was hard to wear anything else, this is an awesome piece that quickly became one of my favorites.
View attachment 632220

The storm cuff knitts are in excellent condition, and it has just a few spots of well done subtle darning to keep it honest.
I have one very similar, but probably a 1960s model. Mine has he 28 oz. shell, as does yours, I imagine. The current offerings are in the 24 oz. weight, at most. More like a heavy wool shirt.

Ben Langworthy

New in Town
Please do more pictures. I have several Sportclads like this. The zipper appears to be a mid 40s
Conman zipper. Nice find!!

Here are a few more photos of the Sportclad. Only on a hangar im afraid as theres something of a mini heatwave in London today!

IMG_7246.JPG

IMG_7243.JPG

IMG_7248.JPG

The zipper is a Talon, which while mostly silver now looks as if it was originally gold in colour.
From my meagre understanding it's probably late 1930s - mid 1940s?

IMG_7238.JPG

IMG_7240.JPG

Nice small angled chest pocket:

IMG_7251.JPG
IMG_7249.JPG

As you can see some repair is needed around the pockets:

IMG_7244.JPG

And one of the wait straps is missing:

IMG_7253.JPG

Other than these noted issues the rest of the body seems in good order, as far as I can tell.

Attachments

• IMG_7252.JPG
    IMG_7252.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 24

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Here are a few more photos of the Sportclad. Only on a hangar im afraid as theres something of a mini heatwave in London today!

View attachment 632418

View attachment 632419

View attachment 632420

The zipper is a Talon, which while mostly silver now looks as if it was originally gold in colour.
From my meagre understanding it's probably late 1930s - mid 1940s?

View attachment 632421

View attachment 632423

Nice small angled chest pocket:

View attachment 632425 View attachment 632424

As you can see some repair is needed around the pockets:

View attachment 632426

And one of the wait straps is missing:

View attachment 632427

Other than these noted issues the rest of the body seems in good order, as far as I can tell.
Thanks for the pictures! This indeed is a red, white. and Blue wartime jacket. The zipper stop is the last in this pre war sunrise style. These are often seen with a #3 on the face, indicating 1943. These colors were very popular during the war era. I have 2 or 3 in this pattern. This is a longer style half belt. They also produced a shorter style.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I have one very similar, but probably a 1960s model. Mine has he 28 oz. shell, as does yours, I imagine. The current offerings are in the 24 oz. weight, at most. More like a heavy wool shirt.
Yeah there's not much wool over 24oz available today, I think Bemidji and Johnson may offer or have until very recently offered their hooded hunting coats in 26oz but most wool these days is much more loosely milled.
Even by the 70's woolrich's stuff was getting pretty loosely milled with more pilling.
This stuff is very substantial and quite densely milled, Pendleton wool is still milled well but probably tops out at 26oz and they don't manufacture anything with that wool in the US these days if they're actually still milling the fabric here or just processing the raw fiber to be milled elsewhere.

Ben Langworthy

New in Town
Thanks for the pictures! This indeed is a red, white. and Blue wartime jacket. The zipper stop is the last in this pre war sunrise style. These are often seen with a #3 on the face, indicating 1943. These colors were very popular during the war era. I have 2 or 3 in this pattern. This is a longer style half belt. They also produced a shorter style.
Thanks for the info! Do you have photos of yours in the same pattern? I'm interested to hear you say this is the longer version as it sits very short on the body, much shorter than any of my long half belts.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the info! Do you have photos of yours in the same pattern? I'm interested to hear you say this is the longer version as it sits very short on the body, much shorter than any of my long half belts.
It is not a huge difference, but noticeable when you have them on.
I thought they were all the same shorter length until I got a longer one! Both lengths are fine. It would take measurements to demonstrate the differences. They will not run as long as a "long" leather half-belt. The short wools are very short.

Hercules

1723412075683.png
1723412090736.png
1723412107991.png

Sportclad

1723412193126.png
1723412208024.png
1723412224585.png

40 Below
1723412275353.png
1723412291177.png
1723412313743.png