Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

dr greg

One Too Many
watch it

I don't have many but I use the analogy of cars: my 60's GP is like an old European car, looks nice and finely made, but you wouldn't take it cross-country with a load of old boxes in the back...for daily knockabout stuff I use a Singapore-made Seiko, great reliable robust watch, like a japanese car (used to be :) ) and so on, horses for courses as they used to say.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I had misplaced a modern pseudo-Gruen with Japanese quartz movement...looked high and low for that dumb thing, couldn't find it. Lo and behold, I found it today. It needs a battery and is a Gruen in name only, but I'm glad I found it. One can never have too many watches for daily wear.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
I've got a Seiko 5 military, which is supposedly vintage-military inspired. Hey, 21 jewel automatic movement for less than $100 is a quite a bargain! lol

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
My daily wearer is an Elgin automatic. Picked it up on ebay about two years ago from a seller in Brazil. It is circa 1958 judging by the serial numbers and keeps fantastic time.
I have a couple of Bulova automatics and a Longines automatic, which I think keeps the best time ever. It is about 1951 I think.

Cheers!

Dan

number6

Familiar Face
Watch

Check out the Oris big crown models , retro looks with none of the hassle and reasonable pricing compared to many brands.

Paul.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Oh, one I almost forgot about was my Pop's Eterna-Matic watch. He bought it over in Germany when he was stationed over there in 1951-53. That was the watch that go me on the quest for a good automatic watch. It needs a little cleaning & service but it still runs great.

Cheers!

Dan

davestlouis

Practically Family
I love my Tissot bumper...heavy little pendulum moving around in there, on the wrist I can't feel much, but off my wrist I can feel and hear it moving and hitting the springs.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Can anybody recommend a supplier of replacement watch glasses please (real glass and rectangular)?

I can find plenty of suppliers of round glasses, but not 'fancy' shapes.
I'll consider custom made if need be, but I'd prefer UK based companies.

Thanks.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I purchased a 1918 Elgin 15-jewel open-face screw back & bezel gold-filled *deep breath* pocket watch with a hindu-arabic dial. Stem wind & set, at the flea-market today from a very nice lazy named Lizzie, who previously sold me my 1957 Ball RR watch (which you can see in my avatar).

Elgin1.jpg

Elgin2.jpg

Elgin3.jpg

Shangas said:
I purchased a 1918 Elgin 15-jewel open-face screw back & bezel gold-filled *deep breath* pocket watch with a hindu-arabic dial. Stem wind & set, at the flea-market today from a very nice lazy named Lizzie, who previously sold me my 1957 Ball RR watch (which you can see in my avatar).

Nice. That's an oldie for sure. I hope she gave you a good price on it. :D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thank you!!

Yes indeed, Camberwell. This will be the...fourth pocket watch...that I bought from the market. I'll be selling one of my poorer-quality watches to fund the repair for this watch. I don't know if you can see it in the first picture, but the crystal looks like it was held up to a belt-sander. I wanna see if I can get all those darn scratches polished off.

I'll just be using my regular brass Albert chain for this watch. I had considered buying another chain, but that may have to wait a bit...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld