Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso

Recently made but to old world standards.

mJLCf01.jpg

mJLCb01.jpg

Joe_Frances

New in Town
In my opinion, besides the Reverso, which is pictured above, the Oris Culture Series Atelier 18 Rose Gold handwinder is the most fantastic reproduction art deco watch I have ever seen. Of course, when I say "seen" I mean seen on the internet, as no watch purveyor in the NYC area has one because it is too rare, a bit too expensive for the Oris line (around $4,000 discounted) and a handwinder. If I come across some unexpected cash, I am going to get one in a second.

davestlouis

Practically Family
As much as the new "neo-retro" pieces are cool, I enjoy owning and wearing watches that are 60 or even 70 years old and still keeping time. There's a connection to the past that I find compelling. The cheap-skate in me also likes finding working time pieces for next to nothing...my normal budget is $25, anything less than that is cool with me. Makes it a cheap hobby, but one I enjoy. That, and watches don't take up much space.

TomS

One Too Many
Mechanical watches are a great hobby! I've been a member of the NAWCC for over twenty years, and I've owned hundreds of watches. I think that Hamilton watches from 1920-1960 are some of the finest watches ever made. If you like Deco style you should really look at the Illinois brand also.

I've considered the WOSTEP program for watch repair, as well as the NAWCC programs. However, if you just want the ability to clean, oil, and regulate a simple wristwatch then you should investigate the Timezone program available over at TZ (if you don't already know of it) :D

Best,
Tom

There's nothing like winding a watch to get your daily routine on the go! ;)

Dad's an old school, Heuer-trained watchmaker, so he fixes up all my non-working cheap pick-ups. Got a beautiful diamond-encrusted 1952 Hamilton in a junk shop in Lafayette, IN that served well for a 5th wedding anniversary present.

A Gruen Curvex is next on my list … Anyone got a broken one?? lol

bk

davestlouis

Practically Family
Baron, all of my Gruens are VeriThins or Precisions, no Curvex...yet. I grew up in Cincinnati, where Gruens were cased and assembled, so I have an affinity for their watches.

TomS, I really like windhwshopping at TZ...it's a shame I don't have a million bucks to throw at toys like watches, I'd be dangerous if I did.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I should be getting my Dad's old Gruen Curvex back this week, along with my Zodiac Sea Wolf. My computer is on its last leg, going to the shop in the AM.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I have two wonderful vintage watches that aren't running (and two different repairmen in NYC have revived them only briefly).

Are there old watches that simply aren't repairable, or did I find two dud service people?

Anyone have a repairman to recommend to me? (How about your father, Baron -- would he help out a fellow Lounger? I'd happily pay him if I got these watches working.)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
If I wanted to get a self-winding automatic mechanical field-watch, the kind that talks about "the movement of your arm winds it" etc., a) what are the search terms I should use so I look like less of an idiot b) what are good brands? I want a girls' one and a guy's one ideally, or two guys' ones I guess but I might look for one that needs the band replaced then.

davestlouis

Practically Family
They're all over the place for very little money, but be prepared to spend $50 or more to have that $20 watch serviced. I started reading posts on the timezone forum to get a feel for what's out there, and started buying inexpensive pieces locally, as I learn more and more.

Talbot

One Too Many
I own one quartz watch for working on the car and under the house etc, otherwise they are all mechanical. I buy in fits and starts and try to limit myself to nothing over $100, or then it becomes a significant purchase and I start to feel prudent and don't go ahead:rolleyes: .

Its still a lot of fun to be able to get a neat vintage watch and get change out of say $50.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I look down at my wrist during the day and just *grin* because of the cool old watch I'm wearing. I just wish these items could talk and tell me where they've been and what they've seen.

sixties.nut

Viola

Viola said:
If I wanted to get a self-winding automatic mechanical field-watch, the kind that talks about "the movement of your arm winds it" etc., a) what are the search terms I should use so I look like less of an idiot b) what are good brands? I want a girls' one and a guy's one ideally, or two guys' ones I guess but I might look for one that needs the band replaced then.

You would be needing to use ' automatic ' as your keyword. I have no idea where in the world Tastycakes is but if you were searching in the US you would be searching for Bulova, or Omega. Not many companies produced automatic watches for the ladies.

But both Bulova and Omega made some smaller mens cases that would work as ladies watches compared to today's sized watches for women. 26 to 36mm.

Should you live in the UK you'll see some exceptional values in the Rotary brand these are newly made (some with vintage styling.) They are also available in the US but not so much with favorable pricing.

You should be aware that a new automatic although higher priced will be a better choice than to seek out a vintage piece and then pay for the service. I say this because even with service there is a far greater chance that you could still see the need for a second or third service. There is a lot to go wrong buying an older watch from an unknown source.

Check your phonebook for a watchmakers listing, many times people leave very good watches unclaimed due to the labor charged on a piece.

Good Luck !

davestlouis

Practically Family
I'm intrigued by the simplicity of the automatic concept...move your arm and a little pendulum moves on its axis, powering the mainspring...very elegant idea, much more cool than a battery-driven quartz movement.

Hand-wound watches are great too, except there's that extra little bit of effort involved with winding it:rolleyes:

I like "off-brand" watches, for instance, my Tissot is a corporate cousin to the Omega, but while a decent vintage Omega is a relatively expensive thing, I paid $35 for the Tissot because the seller had no idea what it was.

I'd start a "what watch are you wearing" thread but I'm afraid I'd feel compelled to buy one for every day of the month...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld