Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Baggers

Practically Family
I purchased an Stauer Magnificat about two or three months back. It's a nice looking watch, but it gains about 30 seconds a day. I have no idea if this is typical for this make, but I don't mind resetting it each morning. Sort of takes the place of winding since it's an automatic.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Actually, I think the thread was titled "if Indy wore a watch", so I guess we're going with the supposition that he didn't wear one in the films, but if he did have one, what type would it be.

And I think the thread finally petered out with a number of people opining that he really used a pocket watch, not a wrist watch. ;)

Cheers!

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
Blue '33

Wild Root said:
Elgin with a blue glass jewel? :eek: I've got to see that!!!

=WR=

Here's a snapshot for ya'

1933Elgin.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Baggers said:
... I think the thread finally petered out with a number of people opining that [Indy] really used a pocket watch, not a wrist watch. ;)

As an archaeologist, Indy would have had a soft spot for sundials. You know, they're ancient and stuff.

To be on topic: didn't a company named "Fossil" make a fortune selling repro-esque watches?

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
You gotta go with the mechanical watches!

Sometimes you luck out and find them on Ebay for cheap. These were all from auctions, and they were all around 30 bucks each. I don't know the years for the vintage ones like the other guys do (maybe somebody can help me find out the dates for them?).

This is my favorite, an old Elgin. Unfortunately, after serving me well for about a year, it is currently non-functional-- I think it needs a new main spring.

IMG_5295.jpg

Here's my old hinge-back Bulova:

IMG_5299.jpg

I hate the band on it, but other than that, I am quite proud of it, old face and all. It keeps accurate time, and it has the only 10AN Bulova movement that I have ever seen with 21 jewels. It had some ugly new hands that someone had put on it which I replaced with what I thought were better, period appropriate ones. Unfortunately, the ones I put on it were from a round watch and were too long, which is why the minute hand broke off :(

Here's the inside:

7d5be4be.jpg

Lastly is my day-to-day knockabout watch. It's not vintage, just a cheapo modern Seiko:

28ea7dcb.jpg

I think I actually paid less than $20 for it. But believe it or not, it's an automatic! No batteries for me. I teach elementary school and sometimes I'll take my watch off and show it to the kids. They are always amazed by all of the gears ticking away. Frankly, I am too! It is amazing that these little vintage gems were made so long ago and still do their job so well.

--G.R.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
are there any cheap modern knockoffs? I currently wear a ratty digital timex, which I only like because I can wear it to camp; go spelunking in it, bash it against rocks.
But other than that. I HATE it!

Since I'm only in High School, I don't have enough disposable income to buy a nice old watch, is there something that actually looks like a real old watch, not just a metal one, but one that looks like the real deal. for 50 bucks or less?

Baggers

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
are there any cheap modern knockoffs? I currently wear a ratty digital timex, which I only like because I can wear it to camp; go spelunking in it, bash it against rocks.
But other than that. I HATE it!

Since I'm only in High School, I don't have enough disposable income to buy a nice old watch, is there something that actually looks like a real old watch, not just a metal one, but one that looks like the real deal. for 50 bucks or less?

Sorry to take so long in responding, but I couldn't find the catalog that sells this little gem until yesterday:

10883.jpg

It's from Acorn and is $65, but it's a great little knockoff. I bought one a couple of years back and use it all the time as a costume piece. It also comes in silver with a black band.

Cheers!

ideaguy

One Too Many
Great watches:

Griemersma said:
Sometimes you luck out and find them on Ebay for cheap. These were all from auctions, and they were all around 30 bucks each. I don't know the years for the vintage ones like the other guys do (maybe somebody can help me find out the dates for them?).

This is my favorite, an old Elgin. Unfortunately, after serving me well for about a year, it is currently non-functional-- I think it needs a new main spring.

IMG_5295.jpg

Here's my old hinge-back Bulova:

IMG_5299.jpg

I hate the band on it, but other than that, I am quite proud of it, old face and all. It keeps accurate time, and it has the only 10AN Bulova movement that I have ever seen with 21 jewels. It had some ugly new hands that someone had put on it which I replaced with what I thought were better, period appropriate ones. Unfortunately, the ones I put on it were from a round watch and were too long, which is why the minute hand broke off :(

Here's the inside:

7d5be4be.jpg

Lastly is my day-to-day knockabout watch. It's not vintage, just a cheapo modern Seiko:

28ea7dcb.jpg

I think I actually paid less than $20 for it. But believe it or not, it's an automatic! No batteries for me. I teach elementary school and sometimes I'll take my watch off and show it to the kids. They are always amazed by all of the gears ticking away. Frankly, I am too! It is amazing that these little vintage gems were made so long ago and still do their job so well.

--G.R.
Very nice selection of the real thing-I'm lucky to have a watchmaker I've done business with for 25 yrs. the new stuff is in the shiny cases out front, but underneath the counter-time in a drawer...all working, all original, and if you want to get a proper band, Gretchen opens the inside of the c.1965
Speidel display, and starts pulling out croc bands,30's deco gold plated, oh man-they all have the original price tags on them as well...can't tell you where it is , though. Secret.

Lancealot

Practically Family
smallville watch

I was watching the Smallville t.v. series and Johnathon Kent's watch caught my eye does anyone here watch that show and recognize that watch it looks vintage but I'm not sure what kind it is.

Any help is apreciated.

Thanks,

johnnyrocket

New in Town
James Dean's wrist watch...

Help...This one is for the experts out there in Fedora space. No one has ever been able to answer this question...does anyone know what style and model of wrist watch James Dean owned. I've contacted all the dean people/collectors and such but none of them know. I've even talked Marcus Winslow, James Dean's cousin but to no avail. I've also contacted the Fairmount Museaum in Fairmount, IN also have talked with David Louer.I do know for sure that it was a Jaeger-LeCoultre 18KGold with a black dial face...but I need to know the "exact style" and "model"of this watch Dean owned. Can anyone help to find this information.

Thanks,
Johnny Rocket

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
johnnyrocket said:
I do know for sure that it was a Jaeger-LeCoultre 18KGold with a black dial face...but I need to know the "exact style" and "model"of this watch Dean owned.

Do you have a photo of the watch?

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Eloga Swiss Watch

Just purchased this 1938 NOS Eloga Swiss Watch...

ElogaWatch.jpg

Does anyone know anything about the company? I just couldn't resist this and it looks to be a beauty!

(My first vintage watch!!)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe