Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latest Project: Mycustomtailor Suit!

Etienne

A-List Customer
I hope it isn't too dreadful that I'm posting in this men's section, but here goes: first of all, I think your suit looks really splendid and you wear it very well! Second, I am wondering if this tailor can make ANY kind of suit or just this era of vintage? I am searching for someone to make a suit for my son who is 6' 2", very thin and really prefers a sort of retro-London 60's sort of look or a vintage "country gentleman" look. Any thoughts?

Since this thread has drawn curiosity for mycustomtailor, I'll throw in my experience as well. Here's a pic of one of the suits I bought from them and that I had to send back. (Actually, I had to send both of them back, a black eight button as well) I did give them exact specifications, and on the phone I was explicit in my request for a high armhole, form-fitting suit, but when I got the suits, the cut was all wrong. To me, this is baggy, but when I sent them this pic, they say it looks fine. (Am I crazy?)

whitebadfit.jpg

They claim that the suit feels baggy because it's a summerweight suit, but that's hogwash. A suit should fit right no matter the weight and I sent them pics of my vintage summerweights to prove it.

Unfortunately, I'm finding their workmanship to be hit and miss. Buttons are found to be loose - jackets are cut off-center (more material on left than right) I made notes of these problems and hopefully they'll correct them.

I tried mytailor.com for shirts and since I was overall pleased with their product I think I'll give them a shot at a suit when I decide to buy more. Their salesman makes trips to the U.S. for measurements, so it may work out better. Getting measured by e-mail leaves much to be desired.

You can see that HJ has had far greater success with them than I have - I don't know how he got his suit in 10 days when it took 5 weeks for mine. Sending back the suit is a pain too because you have to pay $40 for shipping and you have to worry about getting it through Thailand customs who will charge you if they catch the return (You have to pay $50 customs even on returned goods in Thailand) For this trouble, MCT will give you a free necktie - I'll presume it's going to be ugly.

Anyway, cheers to HJ who does look great in that suit. If anyone has any other questions about online tailoring, please ask. I'm starting to be an old hand at this.

Regards,

Senator Jack

geo

Looking very sharp, Mr. Jones. I'd like to compliment you on your shirt and tie as well. The shirt looks like it has a white and grey striped body and solid white collar, and the tie must be vintage.

Jack,

the only trouble i had with them was with my first suit - they made the waist too big. Yours looks massive on you. I found that they'd changed the numbers in my profile - they put 2 inches on the chest, waist and arm length. They were happy to change the chest and waist back, explaining that most of their customers measure too small. I had lots of trouble getting them to change the arm length. They are unfortunately convinced that the customer knows nothing. I like short (compared to most modern) arms on my jackets - so that the entire hand and a small portion of the wrist is exposed. They had trouble accepting this for some reason.

I got an 8 button too. Is yours the one that has a pic of Cagney in their catalogue?

In future i'll be ordering only shirts from them. Their shirts are great. No collar/cuff fraying after a year and a half of wear!

Hemingway,

Nice suit. Very nice indeed. Agree with 3pcstguy on the button stance. And the avatar is cool.

bk

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Senator Jack said:
I can't believe yours fit on the first shot, HJ…

I'm glad you had better luck with them than I am having. Looks like the spring suits I ordered aren't going to be here till summer.:(

Regards, Senator Jack
Thanks, Senator, and I think it was just that: luck! Especially, on the turnaround; I couldn’t believe how fast it was!

I am a little less discerning than some of you fine folks and I am quite pleased. I will compromise for something that is a little bit more wearable, if you will, around the office and this one fits the bill perfectly.

I bought it for NYC, hoping to have something vintage-ish! I am happy that I received something I can wear around the office and on weekends, especially since peaked lapels are back.

Benny Holiday said:
Kevin Costner as Eliot Ness? Nah! I vote for Hemingway Jones.
The colour of your tie is also a very nice contrast. The suit looks a million bucks! (Well, a lot more than under $300 worth, anyway!)
Thanks, Benny, that is a high compliment and I appreciate it. It does have a certain G-Man look, especially with the shape of that Borsalino. Man that block is bold!

3PieceSuitGuy said:
very sharp suit indeed and it matches your hat perfectly!

The actual picture used by the tailor shows a slightly higher button stance and a more nipped in waist to the jacket. I am not sure of your build, but you do look like you are tall and slim enough that they could have given the jacket more of a shape like the pic. Are you happy with their interpretation of the picture? Is it really like the vintage suit in the picture? Did you need to give them a lot of information to get the suit made, other than your measurements?

Also can you show me more detail on the vest? Is it 6 button, and a cut similar to 30's / 40's vests? Your new avatar is great by the way! Cheers Peter
Thanks, Peter! I was trying to get it to match, so I am glad I hit it! Kind of like Nick Nolte in “Mulholland Falls,” but in brown!

I am not sure the button stance is that far off. I think my gut pushes it out a little and makes it look lower in the photos. If you look at the close-up picture I posted, it is a little closer, though it may be off a little. I am certainly unconcerned; I like it how it is.

As for my build, well, I ain’t what I used to be! Am 6’2” and 205, 44L in suits with a 42” chest and a 38” waist, so that four inches of taper is not quite going to match the ten inches of taper in the drawing! But it is much more dramatic than a normal suit, much, much more dramatic. The shoulders are really built up. I am very, very pleased with the result. In fact, I am giddy.

I didn’t give them a lot of information. I did this on a whim. In retrospect, I probably would have paid more attention to the armholes, but I am lucky the way it all came out.

I can show the vest once I get home. I think it is 6 buttons. I know there are a lot of them. It is very similar to the cut of the vests I have seen on 3-piece suits of the day.
Thanks for the kind words on the avatar! Daisy Buchanan nailed that shot.

Etienne said:
I hope it isn't too dreadful that I'm posting in this men's section, but here goes: first of all, I think your suit looks really splendid and you wear it very well! Second, I am wondering if this tailor can make ANY kind of suit or just this era of vintage?
Thanks for your kind words.
They will make any suit you ask them to and they have quite a few “Mod” suits on their site. They do charge more for something, if you send them a picture and ask them to make it. They wanted $500 to do a Hollywood Jacket!

geo said:
Looking very sharp, Mr. Jones. I'd like to compliment you on your shirt and tie as well. The shirt looks like it has a white and grey striped body and solid white collar, and the tie must be vintage.
Thanks Geo! The shirt has clay/ dark pinkish stripes with taupe/ gray and the collar is white. Here is a picture (it will expand if you click on it.):

The tie is vintage 1940 and a present from Daisy Buchanan. I think the tie is one of those hand-painted ones.

Baron, thank you for your kind words! I appreciate them.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For those of you who have requested it, here are some additional angles.
First, a back view:

And now the lining, which has a pattern that looks suspiciously like the Gucci stirrup, not exactly, but it makes one wonder...

And here is the back of the vest with the little strap:

The vest with 5 buttons:

The pants; frankly, they could be higher, but I did not ask for them to be, and this way I can wear them to the office without thinking twice.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, that should just about cover it! :)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
I like the pose, and the mystery of it. The drape of the left leg echoes the drape of the right side of the back, creating a diagonal sweep upward. What can I say? Cool!
Thanks. That's interesting.
I was curious and I value your opinion, so that's why I asked specifically. ;) :)

The story behind the picture: it was windy on my roofdeck and I am holding onto my Borsalino for dear life before it ended up on Commonwealth Avenue! :)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, "The Pose"

:) Looks like something I saw in old movies,...can't quite remember which ones. But it's that sort of ready for action pose one would see just before or after a fist fight.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I got that exact same suit in navy. I didn't get any where near as good a fit as you HJ.

Did you just specify 44L or did you give them all the laborious details of each and every measurement?

Some observations....

- That suit looks awesome, I really should have gone brown, not navy.

- It's funny how they only put two pockets in the waistcoat.

- It's funny how come there isn't a silk/satin lining at the back of the waistcoat.

Your suit looks great.

PS - which pair of spectators are you wearing in the first photo?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Maj.Nick Danger said:
:) Looks like something I saw in old movies,...can't quite remember which ones. But it's that sort of ready for action pose one would see just before or after a fist fight.
I'll keep this in mind for future posts!
Marc Chevalier said:
Exactly. And the mystery of it is that there's no one else in the photo. Who is Hemingway going to fight? What's he doing up there, anyway?
Hmmm. Well, Daisy Buchanan took the photos... But I wouldn't mess with her!:eusa_doh:
JW said:
thanks for the extra pics. the vest looks sharp
Thank you, JW.
Ghos7a55assin said:
The back is well-cut. The fit is very flattering.
Thank you. I consider you an authority of the subject, so your feedback is greatly appreciated. :)
Mr. 'H' said:
I got that exact same suit in navy. I didn't get any where near as good a fit as you HJ.

Did you just specify 44L or did you give them all the laborious details of each and every measurement?
Hello Mr. H, I was sorry to hear that, as we discussed before; I think I just got lucky!

Mr. 'H' said:
Some observations....

- That suit looks awesome, I really should have gone brown, not navy.

- It's funny how they only put two pockets in the waistcoat.

- It's funny how come there isn't a silk/satin lining at the back of the waistcoat.

Your suit looks great.
Thanks! Navy is a great color, especially solid navy. I went with brown to match my vintage Borsalinos and my two brown Adventurebilts.
Yes, two pockets. It does make for a clean look, and I like the fabric back, though silk would make the jacket slide on and off better, wouldn't it?
Mr. 'H' said:
PS - which pair of spectators are you wearing in the first photo?
The Spectators are from Pediwear and a post on them may be found here. I love these shoes!
The suede wingtips are from J.Crew, BTW. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe