Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz Crescent

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Hi everyone,

Over the summer, I bought a Langlitz Crescent jacket. This is their cafe racer type jacket. It is the medium weight hide (which is plenty heavy!) and medium fit (allows you to layer one light sweater underneath). I also had them make it a little longer in the body.

When I first got the jacket, it was super stiff, but has broken in nicely over time. The leather is the nicest I have seen in person and they use one hide to make the jacket.

IMG_1527.jpg

I've noticed that there is not a lot of talk about Langlitz on this forum. If you are in the market for a motorcycle jacket give them a call(they also make bombers, but I don't know how good of a replica they make). They were very friendly and helpful on the phone and really go out of their way to make sure that you get what you want.

BTW, they don't list all their products on their website, so have them send you a catalog.

unzipped.jpg

zipped.jpg

Back.jpg

South

One of the Regulars
Highanddry,

Fantastic jacket! Thanks for sharing. I like the sleeve length - did you request anything special on that, or is that what they did based on your provided sleeve measurements? (It's the length I'm aiming for.)

How much longer did you specify on the body length?

I'm getting ready to order a Crescent myself, with the following changes:

- Dress collar (shirt-type collar)
- A little longer in the body (maybe about 2-3 inches below the beltline)
- Have the front zipper extend farther down at the bottom (about 3/4" from the bottom)
- Heaviest cowhide
- Zippered breast pocket
- Maybe a gun pocket on the inside

If you care to post any more pictures of that nice jacket - feel free!

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I didn't request anything special on the sleeve length, they just altered it according to my measurements. I believe that the back is 3 inches below the belt and the front 2 inches below the belt. Another option I did is to leather line all the pockets, which turned out really nice.

The heavy cowhide will be really heavy! I believe that their medium weight cowhide is equivalent to Aero's heavy cowhide.

I think because of the economy, the wait on the jacket was only 3 weeks (a big change from the 90's when it was a year!). Enjoy the jacket, you'll love it. I get compliments on it all the time.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I think you are right, but comparing my jacket to my friend's Aero Highwayman, they seem to be about the same weight/type of leather.

Call the guys at Langlitz and see what they say. IMHO, the mid-weight is very heavy leather. The heavy weight leather would be like a suit of armor!

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Looks awesome!

The reason why Langlitz is less talked about is because their jackets are more on the realm of $1,000 or more when customized to a large extent, bringing this make among the highest end of durable leathers, like Lewis Leathers, IMO.

If you want an even sportier cut, then the Cascade with straight front zip option may be for you. Seeing this model, I am amazed at the fine simplicity of this jacket. Makes it hard to decide whether I like the Lewis Sportsman or this one more. Fine jackets in the $1000 range, no doubt.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
True, the Langlitz was toward the 1 K range. The reason I took the plunge is that I always loved their jackets, but I could never afford them until now. When I was riding during/after college, I always had the cheap 100 dollar, made in Pakistan jackets! The only downside now is that with two young kids and a "little spill", my wife suggested that maybe riding wasn't the best idea!

I also like the Lewis jackets, but I never have seen them in person and being located in Europe, I thought it might be difficult to address future problems. Although I did everything over the phone/mail with Langlitz, they are in Portland, just a short drive from Seattle. I initially was hesitant to spend all that money on a jacket that was done over the phone, but they assured me that if I wasn't happy that they would make a new jacket for me. Kind of sealed the deal with that remark.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
I myself am sending a deposit to Langlitz for something similar in horsehide. They're upping the prices by $50 come January. I was on the fence for a long time having read over and over of the great experiences everyone here was having with Aero but after talking to Dave Hanson and receiving all his email advice and sending me swatches in the mail, I choose Langlitz. Very easy people to work with and I have no doubt you will get what you want. Check out the Langlitz Japan site for some good pics: http://www.langlitzjapan.com/columbia.html
....that's not to say that I won't be getting an Aero in the near future however. :D But for now, I'm in need of some gozo American leather!

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Heavy steer hide

By the way, upon reading this post I pulled out my leather samples that Dave at Langlitz sent me and looked again at the heavy steer hide. It is incredibly heavy stuff. I recommend getting samples of everything you think you might want first. Dave will help.
Big thanks for posting these pictures. These jackets are expensive but when I divide the cost by all the years of wear I'll get it's a great deal.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
I'd drive up there to get measured

I'd drive up there to get measured If I decided to get one. Hey, I don't see a horsehide option on their brochure, how is it?
The Japanese website offers great ideas, from hidden fitted to yoke pads to center zipper cascades. Workmanship looks A-1 superb. One of America's very best, I think.

Flyingtom

New in Town
Aero Leather size problem

In the last 10 Jears i order a lot of Aero Jkts now i have 16 Jackets from Aero size 42 and 44...When i order a Jkt, is like a wish list ...does it fit or not .I have 8 Jackets in size 44 some Jackets feels to big and some to small..I have a RAF Jacket in size 42 its very snug and i have a B-3 in size 44 its to big ,but a G-1 in size 46 fits perfect----i like Aero but with the sizes ...they have a problem...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Flyingtom said:
In the last 10 Jears i order a lot of Aero Jkts now i have 16 Jackets from Aero size 42 and 44...When i order a Jkt, is like a wish list ...does it fit or not .I have 8 Jackets in size 44 some Jackets feels to big and some to small..I have a RAF Jacket in size 42 its very snug and i have a B-3 in size 44 its to big ,but a G-1 in size 46 fits perfect----i like Aero but with the sizes ...they have a problem...

Tell us more about this. You obviously care about jackets but there's been some bad luck. Please explain.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Langlitz Horsehide

Here’s the link if you want a visual on their HH: http://www.langlitzjapan.com/leathers/horsehide.html

I think I have some photos of Langlitz HH jackets on my computer somewhere that I can post. I personally do not have sample of it. I called Dave Hanson yesterday after posting and he said that HH is a +$1200 dollar option for a jacket which puts it out of my price range. I think their only option is black but I did not ask. I will get some Aero HH next year but right now I want a Langlitz. I went ahead with a deposit but am going with the mid weight steer option in a very dark (almost black) brown which I really like. Right now I’m interested in a Crescent with a removable fur collar. I am going up to get measured by Dave since I’m getting some custom Wesco boots anyway and those two companies are very close together geographically. Dealing with both of these companies thus far has been great. There is no risk in dealing with either of these companies as they will fix anything if there is an issue and all products are guaranteed. That goes a long way with me and I like the fact that everything is stateside. The current wait time with Langlitz is a month to 3 weeks as of yesterday. The wait for custom Wesco’s, for those that are interested, is currently about 90 days.

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Mr. No-Toes, Thanks for that link. What a great excuse for going to Oregon. I've been trying to order some Wesco's for some time, but you know I just don't feel like measuring my feet! I got some nice Wescos off their bargain basement and they really put eveything else I've got to shame. I'd love to visit the Langlitz factory as well. Isn't it remarkable that both Wesco and Langlitz seem to cater more to Japan than their domestic market? Maybe it's just that the Japanese are more creative and demanding in the options they prefer for jackets and boots. Thank heavens for the Japanese!

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Aero Leather size problem

Hey Flyingtom, I know what you mean. I also have at least 10 Aero jackets and I've been surprised more than I would like by what arrives when I place an order. Obviously I like their product, but to get exactly what you want sometimes requires trial and error which can be expensive. It reminds me a little of the old adage, "Pancakes are like children, you should always throw the first one away...."

Part of the 'sizing' problem is that although they have patterns, each tailor does things in their own way. I've ordered the same jacket, maybe in a different color, but if you don't specify who is making it, the individual apparently has a lot of leeway in how to interpret the pattern. Ultimately of course, how many jacket manufacturers are actually going to even try to do the customization that Aero does. So we keep trying. If you've been ordering for the last ten years as I have, there has been some changes since the days Ken Calder ran the place and the way the daughter, Amanda, runs things. In one conversation I had with Ken, he was adamant, "The customer is king!" I haven't found that to be the case lately. When things are wrong, it's like "We'll put it on consignment for you...." not like the old days when if it was wrong, we'll fix it, was the attitude. Maybe it's just me, but if you have a collection of 'not quite right' jackets, then you are in the same boat.

Part of the problem is just communication. If you read brother Jan's posts on Aero, he is like a living "Japanese website" of Aero possibilities. Since he is posting from outside of Britain, he apparently has invested quite of time speaking to Will and Amanda about what is available and how he would like his jackets. Maybe those of us who are shy and not willing to communicate at great length to the 'Aero masters' are just doomed to having a collection of jackets which didn't quite hit the mark.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I'm surprised to hear about your experience with Aero. I bought a B-6 from them and I find the jacket to be perfect for me in terms of fit. I was thinking of folding the shearling back on itself, so that it won't show the shearling at the cuffs and hem. I emailed Amanda and she said that they would do it free of charge. I thought that they were very accommodating. I remember one member here who sent his jacket back because of a small tear in the leather and they made him a new one in a week.

In terms of getting measured by Langlitz, I only live 2 1/2 hrs north of them and did everything by phone/mail. As Dave told me, 95% of what they do is this way, so I wouldn't hesitate to do it by phone/mail. If you are going to PDX for measurement, at least go during the summer! That way you can hit Bandon Dunes to play some golf :) !

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Langlitz/Wesco

Elmonteman said:
Mr. No-Toes, Thanks for that link. What a great excuse for going to Oregon. I've been trying to order some Wesco's for some time, but you know I just don't feel like measuring my feet! I got some nice Wescos off their bargain basement and they really put eveything else I've got to shame. I'd love to visit the Langlitz factory as well. Isn't it remarkable that both Wesco and Langlitz seem to cater more to Japan than their domestic market? Maybe it's just that the Japanese are more creative and demanding in the options they prefer for jackets and boots. Thank heavens for the Japanese!

Elmonteman, you are spot on with that last assessment. The Japanese do understand quality and tradition for sure. We’ve lost that to a great extent in this country IMO and it’s to our detriment. I’m actually more tradition oriented than I am fashion conscious so these companies, like Aero, have great appeal to me. My trip to Oregon is a pilgrimage as much as it is the opportunity to get some cool stuff that will last many years. These companies are dear to me.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Elmonteman said:

Oh, by the way, if what you're getting off the rack from Wesco is working well for you there is no need to measure for a custom fit, most likely. There are variations in sizing accross the different styles and Pete in the custom fit department can guide you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld