Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies Belts & Buckles: A Primer

Kim_B

Practically Family
Vintage Betty, you have done it again! Thank you for sharing your (seemingly endless!) knowledge with us!!

:eusa_clap

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This thread...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=31593

Is the one where Cherry lips asks the question...
and then she asked it again in some other thread too, so someday they will get merged!

Great Belts, VB! But I cringe at "Swingtime" being used to denote the 50s - the swing era was over at the end of the war, and the movie of the name Swingtime is from the 30s, so what the heck did your source mean by that? Besides, it's my band name, and I am not a fan of the 50s so I have to object on self-defense...

Other than that, another amazing research example from Vintage Betty!

ShortClara

One Too Many
I just got this lot of vintage belt buckles. They are not as fancy as Betty's beautiful examples, but they are way more interesting that anything made today. I guessed 40s-50s for them.

5875_1.JPG

Trying to find belt buckles at JoAnns here is a sad exercise in futility.

Vintage Betty

Thanks cherry lips and Kim_B for your kind words!

It actually took me about 3 hours to retrieve all those buckles from their various locations. I know I have more, but these are the good examples I wanted to share with y'all.

Miss 1929 said:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=31593

Is the one where Cherry lips asks the question...
and then she asked it again in some other thread too, so someday they will get merged!

Great Belts, VB! But I cringe at "Swingtime" being used to denote the 50s - the swing era was over at the end of the war, and the movie of the name Swingtime is from the 30s, so what the heck did your source mean by that? Besides, it's my band name, and I am not a fan of the 50s so I have to object on self-defense...

Other than that, another amazing research example from Vintage Betty!

lol Well, I have to laugh at you chiding my "sources" since I am entirely to blame!

You see, I was foolish enough to start scanning the buckles for this project at 12;30am and posted the photos and text around 2-2:30am.

I'm not my brightest starting at 10pm anyway, so y'all are in BIG trouble with me working that late.

Anyway, I had a brain freeze on what to call the 1950's and I was so tired I just came up with swingtime.

So...Miss 1929, here's the bad news...I'm not going to change the photo or the title. Too much work.

But...here's the good news!
I hearby nominate *you* to rename the 1950's section! And I'll agree with whatever you want to change it to!

Fair??

So, I've spent part of this afternoon pulling source information. I will be scanning it in and providing authentic reference material which either supports or destroys the information I will be writing about each era.

Ya get what you pay for ladies...and I'm free! lol

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

1923 Sears Roebuck (Reproduction Edition)

1923_sears_roebuck1.JPG

1923_sears_roebuck2.JPG

Mode Practique, June 9, 1923

mode_practique_060923_1.JPG

mode_practique_060923_2.JPG

Mode Practique, June 16, 1923
*Free pattern listed below!

mode_practique_061623_1.JPG

mode_practique_061623_2.JPG

Mode Practique, October 13, 1923
*Interesting article, as this is relevant, though it's not belts. The article is entitled "Trimmings on the Hip"

mode_practique_101323_1.JPG

mode_practique_101323_2.JPG

Vintage Betty

Question

I can probably research this thread as far back to the 1850's within my personal library and forward through a year by year study of the early 1900's, possibly the 1930's the 1940's (maybe) and 1950's (definately).

As a reminder, I am happy to research questions in depth, but I usually ignore other questions until I feel the question of this thread has been answered fully.

How much information do you need on this particular subject?

Vintage Betty

Ada Veen

Practically Family
This is really amazing Betty, you rule! :eusa_clap

I have a beltbuckle I got in a thrift shop that appears to be made of bakelite, I think it's maybe 1940s. I'll try and post a photo of it this week. I'm going to try and get some suede to make a belt for it. Clara, I love those funny shaped green buckles.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Betty, you're ace! All this knowledge is very exciting. To answer your question in a somewhat selfish manner, I'm mostly interested in the belt fashions of the 40s and 50s. Year by year would be a real treat! Say 1939-1960 :)
P.S. My friend Mary may be interested in the 30s.

Mary

Practically Family
Thank you Vintage Betty! I truly appreciate whatyou do! This is great as a reference and I liked the little quiz in the beginning.

I'm still not sure how to tell a shoeclip from a buckle. The shoeclip I've seen before have been from the 50's and they have a clip on the back like earings. How can you tell by those you posted?

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe