Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just got my Magnoli suit . . . .

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just received my Magnoli suit, and I have to say, I'm not too happy. I got the Marrakesh and an extra set of trousers. The waistline on both trousers is almost 2 inches too large, that can be adjusted. But the jacket. . . I don't know what to say about it. I think it's too short, but the proportions are pretty off in general. I'll try to get a picture up some time soon.
The problem obviously is in the original measurements. My girlfriend helped me with this, but I'm no tailor and neither is she. The instructions are clearly not adequate. He absolutely needs a video to show people how to do the measurements.
I'm going to have to think about what to do next. Certain things can be taken in, but if there's not enough material to do some letting out, then I'm going to need a new jacket. I'm also sort of surprised that the Hollywood trousers don't have suspender buttons.
Stay tuned, folks.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I feel sorry for the guy.* He's obviously very sincere about what he's doing. His business plan has a fly in the ointment tho, and that's the measurements. I suspect trying to take your own measurements is comparable to the lawyer representing himself. He has a fool for a client. We'll see.

*On the other hand, I'm not too happy about my $500. I expect he'll do his best to make good.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I will say this in his defense, when I was talking to him last year about getting a suit I remember him telling me the best scenario was to print out the measurement form and take it to a tailor to get it filled out. I don't know if he gave everyone that advice though.

iammatt

Familiar Face
In his defense, or possibly in critique of his business model, have you guys seen how many true custom suits from really good tailors end up being relatively poor? I think that anybody who is supplying measurements and details to an overseas tailor without ever meeting them is asking for nothing but heartache. It is really not a feasible model IMO.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I've been getting few messages regarding Magnoli and I have to say that I can't speak out of expertise for his suits as I don't own one. There are several on the forum who are pleased with what they have recieved and there are ones that are unhappy.

Keep in mind that the suits from Magnoli are not by any means Bespoke or benchmade. They are made to measure which means you are subject to ill fits if the wrong measurement has been taken.

As for the quality of Magnoli suits, I feel I have to address this since I have recieved three messages from three seperate people over the last few weeks. Since the messages I've been recieving are from concerned members who ordered and recieved something other than what they were expecting... Well this is what I have to say.

I've seen about 4 suits from Magnoli and to my eye they are what you would expect for a 300 to 400 dollar suit. That is the lower end price range for suits nowadays. Ill fits and tailoring issues may be out there. They are made to measure which means you have the chance to choose your fit if you are a close enough body shape to the model of the suit, because they are made over seas you should see a local tailor to have adjustments made.

If you are looking for better fits that means a higher price tag and a personal correspondence with the tailor.

Talking to some of the individuals who own Magnoli suits I hear about vests being long or trousers not being the same as previous pairs ordered or chests looking awkward... take it up with Magnoli... This can have to do with measurements or patterns or even products used to fuse the chest in the case of the jackets. Hopefully he will be back soon and address all your issues.

Again, he's not a custom tailor. He doesn't make bespoke which would mean seeing an actual tailor that takes your measurements. The quality is of a 300 to 400 dollar modern suit.

Measurements seem to be a difficult thing to do yourself.

One thought is that sometimes on EBAY the seller gives actual measurements of the suit jacket describing point to point, and I was wondering if a person had a good fitting suit if pictures with measurements of what fit well (along the same lines as done on ebay) would be of use for INDY and the tailors he uses?

carter

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1, This doesn't sound like a positive experience to say the least. :(

Not to advertise for anyone, but doesn't Marty Martin do all the measuring for his client's custom suits himself? I know he doesn't make them but believe he does all the measurements.

It seems to me that, if you have this done once, a custom tailor should be able to get the fit right multiple times. (Unless your body changes.)

It's also nice to have an agent of the tailor to deal with if things go awry.

A truly bespoke suit avoids all this as the fittings are done at the tailor shop.

It'll also cost considerably more.

Micawber

A-List Customer
dhermann1, have you had chance to confirm the measurements of the supplied garment against the measurements you provided as this would help narrow down where the discrepancies are.

I just checked his measurement page and they appear to be of a fairly standard nature, the help provided seems basic but adequate. There again I am used to taking and working with them but it is always useful to double check measurements and then check against a known well fitting garment.

GBR

One of the Regulars
This is the second suit from this guy to be reported here as a travesty of what was intended in two weeks. He has a serious problem and seem totally untrustworthy.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Apart from what we read here (in addition to cases of positive feedback, if I remember correctly), do you have any further knowledge you'd like to part with?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I haven't actually taken the suit and measured it vis a vis the measurements I sent. The workmanship looks pretty nice, a lot of nice detail work. I expect I'll measure the suit tonight and post the results. Sigh.

Barry

Practically Family
My jacket was fine. I've lost a considerable amount of weight and it no longer fits properly though.

My measurements were taken by the owner of a menswear store that has been in operation since the mid-1960's. I'm pretty sure the owner measures his customers for Samuelsohn suits and custom shirts, but I could be wrong. In any event he spent a lot of time taking the measurements.

To be honest, he did sort-of "caution" me a bit about ordering suits online. As he was ringing up a couple pairs of dress trousers that I purchased that day he said I should bring the jacket in for alterations when I received it. He did not say "If it needs alterations, bring it to our store."

Feraud

Bartender
GBR said:
This is the second suit from this guy to be reported here as a travesty of what was intended in two weeks. He has a serious problem and seem totally untrustworthy.
Two complaints out of the many garments and shoes Indy Magnoli has produced does not read like a travesty to me. Calling a person "totally untrustworthy" without having allowed him the chance to give his side of the issue is unfair.

In fact I am a very satisfied customer of Indy Magnoli. My wife purchased these shoes as a Christmas gift to me and I am extremely happy with the construction and fit.

Let us not discuss the semantics of measuring for a suit versus shoes. It is really easy to screw up a measurement whether you are the customer or tailor.

As I noted in the other thread that required locking down, let us give Indy the opportunity to present his case before we judge him guilty.

Edward

Bartender
Feraud said:
Two complaints out of the many garments and shoes Indy Magnoli has produced does not read like a travesty to me. Calling a person "totally untrustworthy" without having allowed him the chance to give his side of the issue is unfair.

Not to mention (with my professional hat on) potentially libellous - nobody wants to get involved in that sort of caper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe