Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just got my Magnoli suit . . . .

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Indy's back

I just got an email from Indy Magnoli last night, so I guess he's back from vacation. He was very accomodating about my problems with the suit. He said to remeasure, and send the suit back and he'd make it right, which is what I expected. I'm having the trousers that I bought in the same order taken in at the waist locally. I hope this does the trick for them. The waist was not quite as high as I had hoped, but they still look OK otherwise.
The jacket, on the other hand, may require major surgery, possibly amputation, possibly something more drastic.
Stay tuned.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Good question. I think I better find a tailor. Any suggestions?
I want a real tailor, not just a nice lady at the cleaners who hems trousers.
(Hmmmm . . . maybe I can have a seance and contact my great great grandfather!)

Re: measurements

I can relate to the problem. In our shop we do a lot of custom & made-to-measure, we have a lot of out of town customers. A few times some would send in measurements for us to cut a suit in, and on occasion a suit would turn out terribly -- but correct as to the measurements. This is why we no longer cut from anyone's measurements but our own, unless we know the tailor.

If you are in doubt about your measurements, or aren't quite sure how to do it correctly then I urge you, you simply MUST go to a tailor to get them taken.

This applies for suitings, trousers, shirts, everything. Using a tape is a little harder than you may think, and there are things to consider other than the numbers. And if you must err, go bigger. It's always easier to take fabric out.

In fact, I would suggest every man go at least once a year to get measurements taken, just to have. It takes 15 minutes, and can save a lot of heartache (and cash!)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Magnoli’s suits:

I have never ordered one, I’m not much for the mail order suit my self however, I would say that it might help to send him a suit that fits very well along with your order that can be copied. It may help ensure a better fit. Or, if you don’t feel comfortable to let go of a suit for a month or so, you may want to take photos of your self and send it along with the measurements.

These are just ideas of course, not a solution to the problem.

He seems to have a number of happy customers and I’d like to have faith that the two suits that have been ill fitted are just a thing that happens now and again in any business such as this. Maybe there are more who have had disappointment and haven’t said anything… not sure.

In the days of Sears, they offered mail order clothes. You’d fill out a little card with your measurements and send it in. The clothes you received were often times needing tailoring to some degree I’m sure. I wouldn’t know for sure since I didn’t live in the 30’s but, I’d almost bet that there were people who were disappointed even back then with mail order clothing.

I have seen some of the photos of Magnoli’s suits and I recall a member ordering one to look like a late 40’s Hollywood drape suit… I remember it looking more like an early 30’s suit. I feel he hasn’t quite mastered the art to constructing pants in true vintage fashion. The late 40’s and early 50’s trousers I own are rather full in cut, with a generous hem and cuff. His were rather tapered and snug fitting.

FM~

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Even though I haven't purchased anything from Magnoli Clothiers, I have corresponded with him about some of the items for sale. He has always been exceptionally courteous and honest about the goods offered. And for those of us who have been members here and at COW since he opened the doors for prop-making, it is 100% certain that he will jump through whatever hoops are necessary to make a client happy.
What he is doing isn't easy or simple. And he has worked to fill a niche that was wide open and obvious - supplying clothes and accessories closely based on vintage models that could be had at reasonable cost, in sizes and styles that are very rarely found. For that alone, he deserves plenty of elbow room for the occasional temporary stumble. There have been several members here who have started to develop such a business or promised reproduction garments. Some are still in the works - by the most knowledgeable people to be found here - and when they are ready to go, they will be the best that can be had at any price. Others (me included) have found out that it is indeed an enormous undertaking with rather tiny monetary reward - and a need for connections in several, mature, rather difficult to crack industries.

Please keep us posted.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CharlestonBows said:
In fact, I would suggest every man go at least once a year to get measurements taken, just to have. It takes 15 minutes, and can save a lot of heartache (and cash!)

Just out of curiosity, what would be the etiquette of going into a suit shop and asking for measurements? When you don't intend to purchase a suit. Or shirt. Or even a mint.

Undertow said:
Just out of curiosity, what would be the etiquette of going into a suit shop and asking for measurements? When you don't intend to purchase a suit. Or shirt. Or even a mint.

In the shop, I'll give a guy his measurements for free on one of our sheets -- provided I get one of his business cards;) .

But really, most shops shouldn't charge too much - I'd say a $5 or $10 tip is more than enough. Just throw some business his way if you can!

Feraud

Bartender
I am glad to read Magnoli is working with you on the suit issues.

Can you take some "before" pictures so we can compare the original with the revised outfit?

dhermann1 said:
I just got an email from Indy Magnoli last night, so I guess he's back from vacation. He was very accomodating about my problems with the suit. He said to remeasure, and send the suit back and he'd make it right, which is what I expected. I'm having the trousers that I bought in the same order taken in at the waist locally. I hope this does the trick for them. The waist was not quite as high as I had hoped, but they still look OK otherwise.
The jacket, on the other hand, may require major surgery, possibly amputation, possibly something more drastic.
Stay tuned.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Forgotten Man said:
...Or, if you don’t feel comfortable to let go of a suit for a month or so, you may want to take photos of your self and send it along with the measurements...

That's what Indy suggested I do when I contacted him this week about getting a suit.

My parents wanted to buy me a present for my 30th birthday, and I told them I was considering getting a suit from Magnoli, so they offered to pay for it. Obviously, this makes this thread even more important to me, since my own disappointment at an ill-fitting suit would be nothing compared to my parents being disappointed that their present wasn't what I could have been.

Forgotten Man said:
...He seems to have a number of happy customers and I’d like to have faith that the two suits that have been ill fitted are just a thing that happens now and again in any business such as this....

I like to think you are right about Magnoli - he seems like a friendly and accommodating bloke, and although this thread has given me cause for concern, it certainly hasn't changed my mind about his products.

Besides, a disappointed customer is always bound to talk about their negative experience more than a happy customer might talk about their satisfaction. That's just human nature.

I know there has been talk of this elsewhere on the suits forum, so apologies for this question: someone told me that Magnoli suits are actually made elsewhere, and that he simply manages the orders, etc. Is this correct?

Thanks guys. Nice place you've got here. lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
In Thailand. He makes no secret of this.
I do suggest getting your measurements done by a pro. My girlfriend helped me get mine, and it was obviously the blind leading the blind.

It's all in the measurements guys. And sticking to the basic type suits. Nothing fancy if noone (i.e. a tailor) is going to see you in it before it's a finished product in your hands. For online tailoring, stay well well well back from belted backs. I've never seen one from an online tailor that looked anywhere near good.

I will post the suits i got from Thailand online tailor (i think mysuitshop.com). I'm very happy with them. I don't wear them much these days as i'm pretty much totally vintage now. But after one glitch on the first suit (waist a little big) they have been spot on. Very good for the price paid.

bk

Feraud

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
I will post the suits i got from Thailand online tailor (i think mysuitshop.com). I'm very happy with them. I don't wear them much these days as i'm pretty much totally vintage now. But after one glitch on the first suit (waist a little big) they have been spot on. Very good for the price paid.

bk
I would love to see them.

dostacos

Practically Family
When I as the tailor to measure me, I will be buying accessories from him shop. Shirt, tie braces socks etc.

I go to an old time mens store that has real tailoring available on site. they don't do custom BUT they are old school. they also have big/tall and I think they even have hats.

first lose weight, then measurements then Magnoli:)

Dan

fatwoul

Practically Family
dostacos said:
...first lose weight, then measurements then Magnoli:)...

Haha I've been thinking the same thing. I need to lose a bit of gut before I actually measure up for any suit, but then of course I have to commit to keeping that weight off.

If you're happy at the weight you are, I'd say don't worry about losing any, because after Christmas you'll be splitting the seams on your new suit! ;)

What I mean is, if like me your weight fluctuates all year, it makes sense to measure yourself at the time of year the suit will be worn. I want a Princeton Three Piece, which I wouldn't wear in the summer, so It can be a little bigger to accommodate my Christmas scoffings.

Plus, as other people have suggested, in any places I am unsure, I will measure larger rather than smaller, so that the suit can be adjusted later if necessary.

dostacos

Practically Family
fatwoul said:
Haha I've been thinking the same thing. I need to lose a bit of gut before I actually measure up for any suit, but then of course I have to commit to keeping that weight off.

If you're happy at the weight you are, I'd say don't worry about losing any, because after Christmas you'll be splitting the seams on your new suit! ;)

What I mean is, if like me your weight fluctuates all year, it makes sense to measure yourself at the time of year the suit will be worn. I want a Princeton Three Piece, which I wouldn't wear in the summer, so It can be a little bigger to accommodate my Christmas scoffings.

Plus, as other people have suggested, in any places I am unsure, I will measure larger rather than smaller, so that the suit can be adjusted later if necessary.
I need to drop an entire "IndyMcfly" before I can get hip surgery [well I only need to hit 250, but I am shooting for 200. If I can get to 225 and stay there I may be happy] of course when I lose that much I will look like a Shar-pei ... but without the blue tongue:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe