Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Bought an Aero A-2 on eBay

AIRCRAFTMECH

New in Town
Hi everyone, I'm so excited, I won (I hope I consider it a win when I get it) a lightly used aero leather real deal in seal brown. It's got a few WWII aviators autographs in the lining, not what I would do but hey. I normally wear a 42 in sport coats. I'm 5'9" and 175 pounds and this ones a 44. I hope I don't swim in it! My arms are kind of long and was more worried about arm length than chest. I also hope the leather is substantial, my US Wings goat is pretty thin! I'll post some pictures when it gets here.
This forum has been a wealth of information and I really enjoy lurking around! Cheers!

morrison2951

Practically Family
Congrats! Sounds like it may be alittle big for you but always get the jacket measurements and don't just rely on the label size.

Generally speaking I'm a size 44 at 6'0" and 195 lbs.

dan_t

Practically Family
Congrats on your 'win'.
+1 on using the actual jacket measurements, rather than the label size.
I'm actually 6'2" & around the 204 mark, yet I wear regular size 42 suits & jackets to match. It just goes to demonstrate how 'fit' is such a personal thing. Hope you're happy when it arrives!

Edward

Bartender
It can also vary by contract. My Aero A2 is the goatskin model, based on a 1942 contract. It's a bit snugger than ideal at the minute, but once I shift my excess gut again, it'll be ideal on me over just a shirt. That's a 42. The slimmer, earlier (pre-war) contracts, I'd need a 44 for sure. I'm mostly a size 44 in a decent suit, 42 on the high street. (That said, I have stuff that fits me well in a size from anything between a 42 and a 48; there's no "one louder" whewn it comes to jacket fitting).

Still, if you got it at a good deal and it turns out not to be right for you, Aeros are popular enough that you should be able to resell without a loss. The autographs, insofar as they can be verified, will add significantly to the value for some; they give the jacket a collector value over and above its worth otherwise.

AIRCRAFTMECH

New in Town
I'll let yall know how the fit is next week when it Finally arrives. My cooper A2 circa the 80s is way too small in the chest and the arms are too short. My modern A2 in large fits perfect.
The autographs look authentic but I don't count them as an asset to the Jacket.
I'll attempt to have them verified though. If it doesn't fit, back on the market she goes! BTW I paid $385.00. I hope that's not too much, my wife says I can sleep on it, whatever that means...

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got a shed in case her indoors ever takes a VERY dim view on any of my jacket purchases.

Fingers crossed the Aero fits you...I tend to vary between 44/46. My jackets will fit better in the stomach department too when I shift a few pounds later in the year...the thought of more exercise depresses me! Better have another beer :=D

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I hate to sound like a broken record, but you can get almost anything (though not a replica A2) from Johnson Leather and have it fitted to your own bod before it's built. As a local used car legend, Cal Worthington, used to say, "It takes the worry out of the deal."

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I hate to sound like a broken record, but you can get almost anything (though not a replica A2) from Johnson Leather and have it fitted to your own bod before it's built. As a local used car legend, Cal Worthington, used to say, "It takes the worry out of the deal."

I absolutely love JL, but for an A-2 with a WWII feel, the Aero is a better choice. For a civilian jacket, Johnson's a great choice though.

AIRCRAFTMECH

New in Town
Still waiting for mr postman. Should arrive Tuesday due to the holiday. 16-17 years ago, before I knew better I bought a replica B-3 from San diego leather. It's a 42 and pretty tight. It's such a sweet jacket and I did just get an ELC B2 cap. Im anxious to have the autographs on this Aero verified.

AIRCRAFTMECH

New in Town
My Aero Leather real deal just showed up. Gentlemen, I couldn't ask for a better fit! It looks and feels as though it's never been worn and has a nice creak when I move. The smell is marvelous, like a leather store. The seal brown is an excellent match. Pictures to follow...

AIRCRAFTMECH

New in Town
IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0583.JPG IMG_0581.JPG

morrison2951

Practically Family
Nice! It does look to be alittle too big with tunneling in the arms but the more that you wear it they may shorten up a bit. Wear it in good health!

thor

Call Me a Cab
I recognize Richard Cole's signature there inside your jacket; he was Jimmy Doolittle's co-pilot in plane #1 on the famous Doolittle Raid on Japan in 1942. When signing autographs, many of the Raiders add the plane number that they were on for that historic mission (R.E.Cole #1).

Edward

Bartender
Nice looking jacket. might be worth having the back lining panel removed/replaced to preserve those signatures?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I recognize Richard Cole's signature there inside your jacket; he was Jimmy Doolittle's co-pilot in plane #1 on the famous Doolittle Raid on Japan in 1942. When signing autographs, many of the Raiders add the plane number that they were on for that historic mission (R.E.Cole #1).

That's a very big deal!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jacket looks fantastic on you, if you have any concerns on sleeve lengths that can easily be rectified. I'm with Edward on those signatures...I have to say though...what a score!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe