Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JUST ACQUIRED

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice snag!!

I was watchin' that one for a week... :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap ...sure looks like "all that" i.e.- un-creased, unbashed... maybe unworn... I would've tried to bid on it, but I have a OR 25 on the way and am trying to limit myself to a single lid "in transit" at any one time, lest Mrs. Blaine accuse me of stealing bread from the mouths of the progeny...(d@mn progeny :eek: ).

Can't wait to see what you make of it!
... and ya' know if it dosen't work out for any reason... :p

Tony in Tarzana

Oh, come on, Rick! Half the fun is getting a box on the doorstep and having no idea what the heck is in it! lol

Better still is opening the box, pulling out something vaguely resembling a hat and asking oneself "When the heck did I bid on this thing?"

Oh, Douglas! Great hat! I was watching it, too!

When it shows up, e-mail the seller and explain to him what a "top hat" is. lol

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Great buy

I was tracking that one, too, but didn't bid as I thought it was probably small for me, and I have one close in color. That looks like a really nice hat--look forward to seeing pix.

feltfan

7 and 8/16ths would be a 7 1/2, no?
Sounds like it's too big for you Douglas.
You'd better have them ship it to me.
I promise photos for your book.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Great buy Douglas-I wanted to go on it, but I'm waiting on another hat too.
I think you got a real winner-did you get a box with it?:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

DOUGLAS

I am sorry guys. I wasn't looking at the bid list. In the future if this happens again just let me know and I won't press so hard or at least we can talk about it,as long as it is not the type of Borsalino I didn't win last week. It is not going to fit me but it looks too good to pass on. I have never seen that type of sizing before. I am enjoying the open crown lately too. If it has not been styled before I may leave it the way it is.
I believe the box does come along as well.
Tony you may be joking but that has happened to me before. A few times I forgot I was waiting for a hat and was suprized when it arrived. I try to make every day Chistmas

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
That type of sizing was done many years ago . Imagine that hats were sold in sixteenths instead of eigths . Today you see hats in s,m,l,xl . It has a lot to do with mass production and the decline of hand done work.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

squid

One of the Regulars
besdor said:
That type of sizing was done many years ago . Imagine that hats were sold in sixteenths instead of eigths . Today you see hats in s,m,l,xl . It has a lot to do with mass production and the decline of hand done work.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

It seems like this would be helpful in dating a hat. When did they stop using this system? And what companies did/did not use it?

DOUGLAS

I may not. I know that sounds crazy but there is something very appealing about a pristine unused hat. If it is as good as I hope I will keep it as is. It is much too large for me at any rate. Some I buy to wear and some to collect. This may go to the collection.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Sizing a hat using sixteenths were used by many comoanies back then . I have a Knox hat similar to the one Douglas won that is a size 7 3/16 . i think that the factories realized that instead of having so many sizes , they could narrow it down to using 1/8's and now to s,m,l,xl (and soon one size fits all!!) .
Can you imagine asking Art Fawcett to make hats in size 6 15/16th's . He would go nuts !!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Rick Blaine

Pushing back the frontiers of my ignorance

besdor said:
Sizing a hat using sixteenths were used by many comoanies back then . I have a Knox hat similar to the one Douglas won that is a size 7 3/16 . i think that the factories realized that instead of having so many sizes , they could narrow it down to using 1/8's and now to s,m,l,xl (and soon one size fits all!!) .
Can you imagine asking Art Fawcett to make hats in size 6 15/16th's . He would go nuts !!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

... once again, thanks Steven.
Would use of this sizing system then restrict this item to a certain date? (e.g.- sometime before 1950)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally