Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnnyphi Hat Club

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This hat is amazing

This is my second Johnnyphi hat that arrived yesterday:

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

I dry creased it to a diamond using my wife's grandmother's saltine box. I bet Grandma never thought her cracker box would become a hat shaping tool.

I like to know what you think of my work since I've never attempted a diamond before. But even dry the hat is so soft it took a shape with hardly any effort at all.

BobC

Thank you, gentlemen. I'm really overwhelmed with how nice this hat is. It's older than I am, and it's in better shape.

Keep posting, UH. A few "nice hats" here and a few questions there and you'll have 15 posts in no time.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Semper Phi...

OK, the camera finally arrived home, and I couldn't resist posting this group shot of Thursday's arrivals...

3phi.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

AlanC

I got this Adam from johnnyphi some weeks back, but it happened to arrive just after a move and just before a basement flood. That distracted me a bit and since it's summer and I'm not really wearing felts at the moment I haven't had much chance to focus on it.

My interest in this hat stems from the other Adam, the refurbished Grandfather's Hat, that I have. This one is the same brand and has that same pleated bow. It's a hat that my grandfather could have bought himself. It's amazing that I can have it in its pristine glory.

p1012971rg6.jpg

p1012974um4.jpg

p1012977qt4.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Adam "Triport"

OK. Now I get it. Forgive me for posting these lids yet again, but I finally figured something out today and thought I'd pass it along. When I examined the tag under the sweat, it listed the price ($7.50); then came the word "Triport"; then came the size. I was wondering if Triport could be the name of the lid, but I was wondering what the "tri" was meant to capture. On the mocha lid -- (calling it "mocha" instead of "taupe" is more in line with my new take on "carefully studied casualness"... lol) -- I could see that the edge binding was a light green, versus the light brown crown ribbon. When I examined the green lid today, it all fell into place. In the sunlight, it was clear that the edge binding is a silver gray, while the crown ribbon is green. It's all pretty subtle, which is very cool. I hope you'll be able to see it in the photos. In any event, there you have it -- felt color/crown ribbon color/edge binding color = "Triport." Thought I'd post about this, since some of you may discover the same thing about your lids.

Mocha Triport:

MochaTriport.jpg

Green Triport:

GreenTriport.jpg

I think you can really see what I'm talking about in this shot:

AdamTriports.jpg

Semper Phi,
JtL

Duck

Practically Family
Jimmy, those are fantastic lids. The tri-coloring really shows on the last photo.
I have seen this quite a bit and thought it was odd that the edge binding did not match the ribbon, but is in our modern view.
This may have been quite the thing in the 40's. [huh]
Either way, I like it!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
JtL, those three are wonderful. How you pick just one to wear I have no idea.

Bob, that Stetson is great as well and I really like that nice deep diamond you put in the crown of it. Top notch job:eusa_clap

BobC

Thanks for the insight, JtL. I'm going to check my Executive again. Again, very nice lids, and I really appreciate the education you have to offer.

Thanks, Bart. This hat is absolutely amazing. I have only dry bashed it, no water, no steam, no nothing. It molds and stays that way....soft as butter.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Duck said:
I have seen this quite a bit and thought it was odd that the edge binding did not match the ribbon...This may have been quite the thing in the 40's. [huh] Either way, I like it!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

There certainly was an aesthetic aspect to combining different colors of ribbon on the same lid -- I really like that look, as well. But there may also have been a practical aspect. By adding a slightly different color to the hat, it might have helped a salesman illustrate how the hat might work with a wider variety of clothing options. Just a thought...:)

Cheers,
JtL

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe