Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joan Collins says British women have given up trying to look good.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
I think she's a fine looking woman for her age.

Indeed!

My grandmother never looked like that when she was 76 years old. :eusa_clap

Joan Collins 2009 Grammy Salute at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
2009GRAMMYSaluteIndustryIconsArriva.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
So many of the complaints I've heard (other places, not picking on anyone here) would have some merit if she was 40 and just fond of laying on the foundation with a caulk-gun, but really, seriously, she's over seventy.

So many women seem to think they HAVE to set aside glamour or caring about how they look after a certain age, the age varies but I find this stance sad. Pick an aesthetic you like and rock it!

And I can't fault anyone for not much liking the pastel polyester blends and butterscotch-hued helmet-hair options that older women are told is reasonable any more than I can fault someone for not liking the pajama pants and hoodies young women are told are reasonable.

Hestia

Familiar Face
Funny how long we've been on the road to ruin! I can imagine a 76-year-old in 1946, looking at these lovely ladies:

4002882165_81fef39358_m.jpg

and saying the same thing. They look so neat and well-put-together to us, but you can see their legs clear up to the knee, and just one or two layers of light fabric covers the rest of them... quite a problem, if you were raised wearing this:

4002882281_4f4e488b1c_m.jpg

I don't think we're in for an apocalypse quite yet. And fortunately, how other people dress doesn't interfere with my own clothing choices in the least, that's why I learned how to sew!

Christy

One of the Regulars
Brummagem Joe said:
........Joanie can certainly be put in the mutton dressed as lamb category......

lol lol lol I've never heard this saying before, it's such a clever way to put it. I love it! I'm definitely going to use this phrase.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Christy said:
lol lol lol I've never heard this saying before, it's such a clever way to put it. I love it! I'm definitely going to use this phrase.

Oh Christy, you have never heard of that saying before? It's a very, very popular term used for elderly people (say 60, 70, 80 plus )who, HEAVEN FORBID :eek: dare to look younger than they are!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I think of mutton dressed as lamb being more those forty year old women who wear lime green tubetops like some sort of Antique Eleventh-Grader, rather than older women who merely dye their hair and dress as elegant/glam WOMEN as opposed to teenage girls.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
I think of mutton dressed as lamb being more those forty year old women who wear lime green tubetops like some sort of Antique Eleventh-Grader, rather than older women who merely dye their hair and dress as elegant/glam WOMEN as opposed to teenage girls.

Exactly Viola! :)

What we are talking here Christy, is a 76 year old lady, Joan Collins in this case, who is lucky enough to look that good!

Christy

One of the Regulars
HadleyH said:
Oh Christy, you have never heard of that saying before? It's a very, very popular term used for elderly people (say 60, 70, 80 plus )who, HEAVEN FORBID :eek: dare to look younger than they are!

I knew what it had referenced to but I had never heard it put that way before. I always just said that they were trying to dress like a teenager. It definitely made me giggle!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Christy said:
I knew what it had referenced to but I had never heard it put that way before. I always just said that they were trying to dress like a teenager. It definitely made me giggle!

Ahhhh ok Christy! then giggle away ... it might help to keep you young too!;) lol

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
It's sadly funny how women can't seem to win, isn't it? Men can get fat and bald and old and have relatively few issues with it, while the female of the species is expected to simultaneously be ageless & beautiful, as well as "act her age."

Smuterella

One Too Many
Lucky? Lucky to look that good?

Come off it, she has a fortune in both money and time at her disposal. A good surgeon, a relaxed life and your own personal hair and make up artists do tend to help.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:

Come off it, she has a fortune in both money and time at her disposal. A good surgeon, a relaxed life and your own personal hair and make up artists do tend to help.

Sure lucky.

Not only lucky but super lucky. With all that I wouldn't call her unlucky, would you?

Smuterella

One Too Many
No but its completely unreasonable for the average person to look like that, she needs to get down off her hoity-toity perch and realise that people with real lives don't have the time or the money to spend on themselves that she has.

I'm just so sick of women criticising other women for their looks.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
ThesFlishThngs said:
It's sadly funny how women can't seem to win, isn't it? Men can get fat and bald and old and have relatively few issues with it, while the female of the species is expected to simultaneously be ageless & beautiful, as well as "act her age."
Soooooo trite..........

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Is there any chance that someone can come up with something a bit more judgemental, and offensive here?

Let's not forget that there are countless people working for nothing in the UK, for all the hours god sends, there are thousands of families waiting for housing in London, and that most folk are just about managing to keep their heads above water financially at the moment.

There are more important issues at stake than whether or not someone has remembered to polish their shoes before they leave the house.

Besides if there is a problem with modern day British women it is predominantly obesity, not dress code.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
:eek: :eusa_doh: Formaldehyde?

A little "enhancement" of great looks dear chap!

Smuterella said:
No but its completely unreasonable for the average person to look like that, she needs to get down off her hoity-toity perch and realise that people with real lives don't have the time or the money to spend on themselves that she has.

I'm just so sick of women criticising other women for their looks.

Yeah all woman are beautiful ...right?

A little dab of powder...a little dab of paint...makes a girl's complexion...just what it ain't!lol ;)

...so said me dear old Mum (RIP)

Smuterella said:

Like all our Loungerettes right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe