Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Collecting - Ever ask why?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So I purchased a jacket today. Shocking...right? To probably nobody on this forum who has been around any length of time.
What did I buy? Well just another black cross-zip, made of leather, that likely will fit pretty well. Was a decent deal.

No big deal right - well that's what I thought, until I drove home from the gym this evening, and just very frankly asked myself "Dude, why did you do it...?" "What deficiency within yourself are you seeking to fill, by adding yet another cross-zip to your 7-8 jacket cross-zip collection?" "Is there some deeper underlying reason you are seeking to own this?" "Or are you just having flashbacks to some other time in life and feeling the need to keep searching out the perfect jacket...and something else?" Like I said this was quite a conversation I was having in my own mind.

After all this, I realized, yes, I may need to be a little more balanced. There may be a few more jackets showing up in the classifieds soon. However I do not think the purchase had anything to do with insecurity, or an inflated sense of self, or image management. In fact, I just wanted to check it out here. If it does not work out, I will sell it along. Not an issue.

Still that gnawing little voice keeps coming along. Maybe I have more to think about here! :)

Anyone else ever deal with this...?

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone else every deal with this...?
Yes as a matter of fact, I have!
Recently I have been sorely tempted by a RMC L2B. Now this in itself is not surprising, I am always tempted by some jacket or another. What was surprising to me was the fact that I actually sat down and thought about how I already have several jackets nylon flight jackets along with six or seven leather flight jackets and I really don’t need to order another one. That was odd, a rare bit of self-control.

TelemarkTumalo

One of the Regulars
So I purchased a jacket today. Shocking...right? To probably nobody on this forum who has been around any length of time.
What did I buy? Well just another black cross-zip, made of leather, that likely will fit pretty well. Was a decent deal.

No big deal right - well that's what I thought, until I drove home from the gym this evening, and just very frankly asked myself "Dude, why did you do it...?" "What deficiency within yourself are you seeking to fill, but adding yet another cross-zip to your 7-8 jacket cross-zip collection?" "Is there some deeper underlying reason you are seeking to own this?" "Or are you just having flashbacks to some other time in life and feeling the need to keep searching out the perfect jacket...and something else?" Like I said this was quite a conversation I was having in my own mind.

After all this, I realized, yes, I may need to be a little more balanced. There may be a few more jackets showing up in the classifieds soon. However I do not think the purchase had anything to do with insecurity, or an inflated sense of self, or image management. In fact, I just wanted to check it out here. If it does not work out, I will sell it along. Not an issue.

Still that gnawing little voice keeps coming along. Maybe I have more to think about here! :)

"Best not play it too careful. Cause for reflection" Buster Scruggs

Biff42

A-List Customer

No big deal right - well that's what I thought, until I drove home from the gym this evening, and just very frankly asked myself "Dude, why did you do it...?" "What deficiency within yourself are you seeking to fill, but adding yet another cross-zip to your 7-8 jacket cross-zip collection?" "Is there some deeper underlying reason you are seeking to own this?" "Or are you just having flashbacks to some other time in life and feeling the need to keep searching out the perfect jacket...and something else?" Like I said this was quite a conversation I was having in my own mind.

I like the thrill of the hunt and trying new stuff. I want to decrease my collection and have been more willing to trade or sell here to cut out the fees from eBay. is there something wrong with my dopamine reward system, yes, probably. I gave up drinking years ago, so this and other pursuits are likely filling some void. I don't care though, I like the FL and the people on here.

A man should take some pleasure where he can find it.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Well….we all are hunter gatherers.
Try as we may to rationalize that we will never get away from that.
Jackets, hats, etc help fill that need but never the urge.
B

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I like the thrill of the hunt and trying new stuff. I want to decrease my collection and have been more willing to trade or sell here to cut out the fees from eBay. is there something wrong with my dopamine reward system, yes, probably. I gave up drinking years ago, so this and other pursuits are likely filling some void. I don't care though, I like the FL and the people on here.

A man should take some pleasure where he can find it.
Congratulations on cutting the drinking part out!! I understand that can be exceptionally difficult to do.
I have not ever been drawn to alcoholic drinks, for which I am thankful. Jackets and the collection/wearing/discussing of such is a much more intriguing topic for me.

I love clothes. I also love changing my style. Luckily, I realized that piling up on clothes that make up one certain style doesn't work for me as tomorrow, I'll wake up as someone else. Right now I'm at the end of the road and the fog is thick.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Getting back into classic menswear was a wakeup call for me. When I was more into that side of things, despite my limited budget at that time, I made sure everything filled a specific purpose and I had a buying strategy that meant I still have things I wear and use regularly from when I was 16. Wool is also an incredibly flexible material and unlike leather, you can keep extra material as inlay inside a jacket, allowing you to take it out or let it in, whether because your own body has changed over the years or because you are altering it to fit.

When I got into workwear/leather, I don't think it was the same way. Looking back, I have spent more on this stuff than it would have cost me to go to some of the finest cutters on Savile Row. And of them, really, the most satisfying are one Schott Perfecto, one Johnson CHP, and probably the vintage Schott cowboy jacket I got off of Tony. The rest feel redundant.

I'm going to start phasing things out, many of which I've rarely worn, and perhaps they'll be of some benefit to some of you (especially if there's still interest in wool!)

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I loved jackets since I was about 15. Started with an M-65 and a Navy olive drab duffel bag. Trying to shove it in the Communist's faces in Iron Curtain Poland. It was a statement, rebellion at that time. Am 66 now. Not trying to shove it into anybody's face anymore, and no M-65, but still kind of a statement, I guess. That I am different from the North Face wearing crowd. So I have a few jackets now, but I really stopped collecting. Unless I see a Star Glove or a Seattle Woolen for a good price, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun