Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's about time we define "fedora"

Can we define "fedora"?

• Yes. An adequate definition exists.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Yes. We're getting there.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Probably. We're pretty smart guys.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know.

• No. It's like trying to define happiness.

• Why are you making me think?

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
rlk said:
Both before and after creasing-- it is never straight-- only more verticle in its average line than some other hats, and the width at its upper limit is significantly less than at the base of the crown.

Yes point taken. :) I edited my post.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Maybe we can create a Fedora Bureau of Standards. Who wants to be a delegate for the convention to set the Guidelines? Maybe in Garland in March.;)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
My photos are of a Fed IV. Yours might have a deeper crease but the hat has taper. If you open crown you will easily see it. Please take some photos (open crown and creased).

I don't really care that much. If it's going to make you feel better for me to concede the point, so be it.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
I think the issue of whether a particular hat could be a fedora is moot. That cone of fur felt a hatter starts with could be a fedora but would one call it a fedora in its coned form?

An open crown hat with snap brim, etc. is NOT a fedora until it is given a crease that completes the fedora look. It could just as easily be a pork pie.

I can snap the brim down on an Open Road with the Cattleman's crease but it isn't a fedora until I change the crease.

The definition really should be something that is workable. One should not have to remove a man's hat in order to determine whether he is indeed wearing a fedora.

If material and method of construction are a part of the definition then one cannot actually "know one when you see one" and we all know that we do indeed know one when we see one.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Yeps said:
I think it has to be made of felt (although I would refer to a straw fedora, but not a cloth one), wool or fur.

Fortunately I believe that a cloth fedora-like hat (made of poplin or maybe some other heavy material) is referred to as a Gable hat, so no need to try to fit them into the fedora definition.

I've still got a couple, I think. They're good hats. They do have a downside, and that is after someone sits on one or a mover crushes one in a box they're never quite the same! :eusa_doh:

Cheers,

Tom

Mr Vim

One Too Many
This is a great discussion, I was at work all night, and one of my coworkers looked at the screen when I stepped away, I came back and he said "I think this is crazy, I know a fedora when I see it."

"Oh really?" Says I, "What is it then?"

He sputtered then said "It's you know, *he proceeds to loop his hand around his head, and tugs an invisible brim low over his eyes and gruffly says* Here's looking at you kid."

I got to hand it to him, that's a pretty good definition for 3am, on watch in the Coast Guard.

jlee562 said:
I don't really care that much. If it's going to make you feel better for me to concede the point, so be it.

No big deal. I like hats with varying degree of taper (from IJ hats to severely tapered Alpine hats (yes even with cords)). :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Most of us are great candidates to head the hat BS. :D

rlk said:
Maybe we can create a Fedora Bureau of Standards. Who wants to be a delegate for the convention to set the Guidelines? Maybe in Garland in March.;)

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Mr Vim said:
This is a great discussion, I was at work all night, and one of my coworkers looked at the screen when I stepped away, I came back and he said "I think this is crazy, I know a fedora when I see it."

"Oh really?" Says I, "What is it then?"

He sputtered then said "It's you know, *he proceeds to loop his hand around his head, and tugs an invisible brim low over his eyes and gruffly says* Here's looking at you kid."

I got to hand it to him, that's a pretty good definition for 3am, on watch in the Coast Guard.

lol

Feraud

Bartender
rlk said:
That is not a bad idea. Let the professionals set the definition and everyone else fall in line. This democratic process is for the birds.. ;)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
In my opinion a fedora hat is in width, from three inches at most, down to about half an inch, or however narrow stingy brims can get, at the least. Even if creased like a fedora, I believe that anything over three inches can probably be best classified as an Australian outback, or American western/cowboy style hat. Basically, a country hat, rather than a city hat, I think. Anything under half of an inch is... not really much of a hat, so... I honestly don't know if I've ever seen a fedora that stingy...

They can be creased in a number of ways, such as the center dent, teardrop, and diamond crease, even a cattleman's crease. However, if it is just a telescope crease with no front dents or pinch, it is for all purposes, a porkpie hat.

The edge of the brim, again in my opinion, can be raw, overwelted, underwelted, or bound (perhaps I'm missing another unique brim feature here), but it is technically a homburg if it has that certain bound brim curl, I forgot what it is called exactly. Also, while homburgs are generally, and traditionally not creased in the front or sides, they can be and still be classified as such; a homburg.

As for the issue of fedora versus trilby, I just think it's a regional difference, the general American usage versus the British or European usage to describe the style of hat, for example.

Regarding the matter of taper, versus a stovepipe crown, either can be, depending on crease and brim width, a fedora/trilby. It's a personal preference, or a period detail, here, I would be inclined to think.

Finally, I believe that a fedora is traditionally fur felt (beaver, rabbit, nutria, or a blend, etc), although I accept the terminology of "straw fedora," to describe a straw hat shaped as such. These can be Cuenca or Montechristi Panama hats, but they can also be made from palm, shantung, milano weave, or other materials.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I do believe that is a very extensive definition, I think the goal was to have something shorter to say on hand.

I still like Brad's idea. Simple.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Out of curiosity I checked several on-line vendors to see what they consider to be a "fedora." It was interesting that a few did not use the word "fedora" at all to describe the hats.

Obviously, the popular definition of a "fedora" is not at all specific. It would seem that a "fedora" is indeed a hat (a covering for the head usually having a shaped crown and brim) and not a cap (a soft and close-fitting head covering, either having no brim or with a visor) so a large part of the definition of "fedora" is hat.

A "fedora" is a hat. More specifically a "fedora" is a hat with a particularly shaped crown and brim.

I'm even more certain that the materials and method of construction DO NOT determine whether a hat is or is not a fedora. The ONLY determining factors are the shape of the hat. If it is shaped like a fedora it is indeed a fedora.

NogginTops
TheFedoraStore
Optimo
Hollywood Hatters
Delmonico
Hats in the Belfry

donnc

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Although today we tend to only see the novelty versions of the Zoot Suiter's hat I would still consider that a fedora, but they seem to fall outside of the general description here.

Because no pinch?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld