Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Vanson Competition Cowhide Waterproof?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I know horsehide is supposed to be waterproof and I think goatskin is also, but what about cowhide.? I have an Enfield that I think is going from motorbike only to general wear and it would sure be nice if I could wear it in the rain. It seems like water beads and rolls off, but that's different from being in a rainstorm. I suppose I could treat it with a waterproofing dressing, but would that be a good idea?

Peacoat

Bartender
Jeff is right about the various hides being about the same in water resistance, depending on how they were tanned. Although, I really can't vouch for the goatskin as I don't remember getting caught in the rain with goat.

After I get a motorcycle jacket broken in, it seems to lose a bit of its water resistance. I then usually put a coat of Pecard on it to help keep it water resistant. That seems to last about a year, then I do it again to keep the rain off for another year. The non motorcycle leather jackets, I don't worry too much about. I treated my Vanson Enfield with Pecard about six months ago, and it is still beading water. Wore it tonight in the rain (not on the motorcycle), and it performed just fine.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Why don't you just wear a Gortex jacket over your leather jacket when it rains, that's what I would do!

I was more wondering whether it would be safe to wear it on a cold day when rain is threatening. In any case, I'd have an umbrella and I do have a nice Woolrich Goretex rain parka that I got twenty years ago and have been wearing in the rain ever since.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I was more wondering whether it would be safe to wear it on a cold day when rain is threatening. In any case, I'd have an umbrella and I do have a nice Woolrich Goretex rain parka that I got twenty years ago and have been wearing in the rain ever since.

The point is that leather can't be hurt by water, no matter how much. It just makes the leather heavy to wear. You can even put a leather jacket in the washing machine to break it in, without any harm.

I break in my leather jackets by wearing them in a nice rain, soaking them through, and then letting them air dry.
After that I don't mid a bit of rain...though prefer not to get them soaking as they do absorb water and get heavy. HH or steer.
If I want "waterproof" I wear a rain jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82