Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the vintage crowd the curmudgeon crowd?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
I'm not entranced by the drinking part of the equation, but some of my most enjoyable moments have occurred late at night.

That I can relate to! I have many fond memories of late nights in my 20's.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Yep. For instance, some of the most profound (and most controversial) philosophical conversations I've been in seem to take hours to get to warmed up, and somehow seem to end up at night.

YES! I cherish those all night conversations in unassuming places.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
PrettySquareGal said:
Question: Why does the late night drinking crowd equate exciting people? I know many who become boorish and boring while intoxicated.

I hate to advocate drinking and late night excess. But it has always worked for me.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
While I usually have fun going out till one or so, i find taht much after that it is often people trying desperately to have some fun before the night is over. Tends to get pretty boring. That, and the ratio of men to women goes way up.

Foofoogal

Banned
Like Paisley I love to dance. I was always the first on the floor and the last as well. I could probably dance till dawn still but it is something I would have to drag honey to. So dance away for me and stay up all night and chit chat. I would love to go to the Cicada club or any vintage place. If it remotely smells like vintage anything I am in. Barbershop quartets, vintage towns etc. just move me. lol

Tiller

Practically Family
What is wrong with being a curmudgeon? It's a great way to be funny, and many acts have at least one guy who liked to complain even if he was the "straight" guy of the duo. How funny can Lou Castillo really be without Budd Abbot next to him? Lou worked off of Budd! Jeff Dunham's best puppet IMHO is Walter, the curmudgeon Vietnam vet. And who can honestly say the that show (and character of) House isn't one of the best shows on television today!

Not to mention most of the great fictional detectives over the years have been curmudgeons. Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolfe are both fine examples. Neither one cared to much about their clients beyond the problems they handed them (or money in the case of Wolfe).

Further for all of you who claim you need to be awake at 4 am to have a philosophical conversation, should get into pipe and cigar smoking. All you do then with your friends is talk philosophy, economics, politics, or just things about daily life, and you can do it all before 5 pm.:p Usually if I'm awake at 4 am it's with my gf and talking about philosophy is the last thing we are doing.

My late night days was when I was a younger (and an illegal) drinker. I found the later you stayed at a certain place the more boring it got. Being a we bit older now I've learned to be able to have my fun before 12-1, and then if I want to continue either do it at my house, or at a friends. Much beyond that the whole drinking scene gets quite boring, and you usually end up with a crowd you normally would just shake your head at. At least in this neck of the woods.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The real curmudgeons are those who have to clean up the empty bottles and sweep up the messes left behind by the late night partiers.

As far as all-night lucidity goes, I used to work 48 hours without sleeping while covering local elections during my radio days. I used to have a tape of what I sounded like at 4AM the morning after Election Night. Lucid or coherent are not words that could be used to describe it.

THe Conductor

One of the Regulars
I work for the railroad on the grave shift (8PM - 8AM,) so my 'partying' naturally starts late (waking up at 6 pm :p) Unfortunatly, Portland doesn't seem to be a night town. Driving around at 2 AM and the streets are desserted, except for the bums down in Chinatown. So my late night partying is reserved for a few hours at a pub, then going home and watching late night TV or movies.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Tiller said:
What is wrong with being a curmudgeon? It's a great way to be funny, and many acts have at least one guy who liked to complain even if he was the "straight" guy of the duo. How funny can Lou Castillo really be without Budd Abbot next to him? Lou worked off of Budd! Jeff Dunham's best puppet IMHO is Walter, the curmudgeon Vietnam vet. And who can honestly say the that show (and character of) House isn't one of the best shows on television today!

Not to mention most of the great fictional detectives over the years have been curmudgeons. Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolfe are both fine examples. Neither one cared to much about their clients beyond the problems they handed them (or money in the case of Wolfe).

Further for all of you who claim you need to be awake at 4 am to have a philosophical conversation, should get into pipe and cigar smoking. All you do then with your friends is talk philosophy, economics, politics, or just things about daily life, and you can do it all before 5 pm.:p Usually if I'm awake at 4 am it's with my gf and talking about philosophy is the last thing we are doing.

My late night days was when I was a younger (and an illegal) drinker. I found the later you stayed at a certain place the more boring it got. Being a we bit older now I've learned to be able to have my fun before 12-1, and then if I want to continue either do it at my house, or at a friends. Much beyond that the whole drinking scene gets quite boring, and you usually end up with a crowd you normally would just shake your head at. At least in this neck of the woods.

Ah, but being a curmudgeon is fine. But it is an art. You must be charming and preferably witty. Otherwise you are just an ass or a grouch. many a would be curmudgeon comes off as such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe