Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a pork-pie a different category?

Lester was by no means a small man, giving you an impression of the dimensions of this hat. As said by almost everyone else, a porkpie is all about the crease.

lester-young.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
A black porkpie looks religious? The Saturno is a long way from a porkpie, surely. [huh] I don't think i've ever seen a porkpie in a religious context.

JB_Saturno3web.jpg

Much as i disagree with the man - in fact totally - he has a good hat sense. Wish i could get away with this.

pope_benedict_saturno_hat.jpg

bk

Looks kind of like a fifties kid's cowboy hat.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pork Pies...? is there a demise...?

I'd agree that they are a 'very different' breed. But recent shifts have indicated that they maybe a dying breed as far as 'in vogue' and 'hat wearing' is concerned. Meanwhile, the Fedora is going from strength-to-strength.
Almost a tortoise and hare thing, where the Pork Pie has become rather 'now' and 'grunge trendy' and 'high street' (think Gap..etc). But like all 'hip' things that come one day, the next they are *poof* ...gone and had their day [huh]

On a positive, Great thing about headwear is that there is 'something' for everyone.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I've just received my first pork pie hat through the post today (from Laird Hatters, London, http://www.lairdlondon.co.uk/).
It was an impulse buy as I was offered a hat to compensate for the unexpected failure of a brim snap in a new 8-panel Bakerboy cap; the cap was also replaced. Excellent customer service and I can't praise them highly enough.
I'm a bassist and I've always admired Lester Young's and Marcus Miller's headgear, but when I saw Danny Thompson wearing one (http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...thompson-posing-with-his-news-photo/168739380) I though that I'd give it a try.
Extremely comfortable, really stylish when tilted back, forward or cocked to one side. I'm really enjoying wearing it (always was a bit grunge trendy, Paddy ;) )

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Yes, Bob, I'd say Stevie Ray's hat is vaquero style. It's much closer to Zorro than to Popeye Doyle (or Art Carney).

It seems to me that when a dress hat has the telescope crown, we tend to call it a porkpie. But the telescope bash has always been very popular in Westerns, which nobody calls a porkpie. So I would probably draw the distinction that way. A hat that could be a fedora, but has a telescope crown is a porkpie, while a cowboy hat with that crown style is not.

Besides Zorro and Mr. Vaughn, some famous telescope-crown Westerns have graced the heads of Clint Eastwood and Michael Landon. And, as noted above, pretty much any kid wearing a child's cowboy (or cowgirl) hat has a low telescope crown.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Bob, I'd say Stevie Ray's hat is vaquero style. It's much closer to Zorro than to Popeye Doyle (or Art Carney).

It seems to me that when a dress hat has the telescope crown, we tend to call it a porkpie. But the telescope bash has always been very popular in Westerns, which nobody calls a porkpie. So I would probably draw the distinction that way. A hat that could be a fedora, but has a telescope crown is a porkpie, while a cowboy hat with that crown style is not.

Besides Zorro and Mr. Vaughn, some famous telescope-crown Westerns have graced the heads of Clint Eastwood and Michael Landon. And, as noted above, pretty much any kid wearing a child's cowboy (or cowgirl) hat has a low telescope crown.
Good distinction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld