Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a non-fedora yet felt hat wearing man, welcome here?

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
I experienced the early '50s as a high school boy in Brooklyn and have been a jazzbeaux and an aficionado of music from the '20s on. Living near the water back then, I wore a big-green-billed,cloth,fishing hat. After moving to The City and starting to work Downtown I found Young's Hats and the HST model Stetson Open Road. An aside, I hate it when they connect the hat to LBJ. As was stated on the plaque on Harry's desk in the Oval Office, "The Hat Started Here." Having bought a magnificent olde Swiss made split-hand stop Chronograph after my first year on a job; and after nicking my Mother for her $10 1883 gold piece, to be used as a fob, I wore hardly naught but vested suits for years and years until the town became a trifle too edgy for a display of gold such as I then sported.

Part of the attraction that Western or semi-Western headgear held for me was that even as hats as an item of standard apparel were on the wane, those few hats that I saw on the Street were Fedoras. A Young Man seeks not to be in strict conformity, or at least, I didn't. Jeeze, I was out of step with most of my peers in the '60 with the 3 piece suits.

In my time I have owned 2 Open road and 2 Stetson 150s. One of the 150s is now a rain hat because so old and beat up. The other has been well kept and is rarely used from year to year unless I travel. I have left out a bunch of non-de script straw hats.

It's so hot and humid most of the year; down here, that wearing a hat seems a chore. Full grown Gents wear shorts 7 months out of the year, and worse...

Tell me then, why have I bought two heavy and very wide brimmed, lower grade, but of good manufacture(Amer. Hat and Stetson) Western hats this month?

WEEGEE

Practically Family
WELCOME

Is a non-fedora yet felt hat wearing man, welcome here?

Of course...just don't hold anything against a lounger who converts a vintage Western into a Fedora.I have not heard the reverse but there has to be a first.

regards,

WeeGee

Wolf

New in Town
WEEGEE said:
Of course...just don't hold anything against a lounger who converts a vintage Western into a Fedora.I have not heard the reverse but there has to be a first.

regards,

WeeGee

Converting a western into a fedora? Tell more. I have a nice Stetson western hat I don't wear anymore, brims too big. Was thinking of ebaying it, but maybe a conversion is in order?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Katt --

The Open Road converts quite nicely into a standard fedora. I have one, a silverbelly colored hat that looked LBJ-ish. I don't like that look, nor do I look good in it, so it was turned into a fedora by a local hatter.

Looks great.

I have a number of super cowboy hats -- a Stetson "Gus", a black Stetson, a silverbelly Rand hat with black trim, several Akubras, an unformed Bailey silvermist hat that I am thinking about having styled, and I have at least a dozen newsboy caps.

We have all sorts here, welcome to the Lounge.

karol

WEEGEE

Practically Family
REBLOCK, CUTDOWN BRIM AND ADD A NEW RIBBON

Wolf,

Art Fawcett http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/ can do it ...and i'm sure others will chime in soon.

I have an old Knox on my list to get done but i have not walked that path

yet...others in the Lounge have though.

Make a new post and ask the question or just wait the answer will come.

regards,

Weegee :cheers1:

Wolf

New in Town
WEEGEE said:
Wolf,

Art Fawcett http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/ can do it ...and i'm sure others will chime in soon.

I have an old Knox on my list to get done but i have not walked that path

yet...others in the Lounge have though.

Make a new post and ask the question or just wait the answer will come.

regards,

Weegee :cheers1:

Weegee, I wouldn't even know where to begin asking questions, being new to fedoras, I don't know what looks good on me yet.

Fedorista

Familiar Face
Subheader of Hats Forum title on the Fedora Lounge's main page:

"Everything from fedoras to pith helmets. If a guy doesn't have a lid, he is not worth talking about."

Bebop

Practically Family
I have converted a western hat into a fedora by cutting the brim down and reshaping the crown with steam. It takes a steady hand to cut the brim but it can be done. Open Roads are also easy to bash into fedoras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe