Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The other great thing about being a member of the FLYING CIRCUS here...

...is that you are among Irvin lovers, and this game is all about (and half the fun of the chase) networking and contacts and sharing. So that when one of us feels like passing along a jacket, we want to make sure it goes to a trusted, deserving and caring home where it will be loved and cherished for future generations.

REMEMBER, "An Irvin isn't just for Christmas;) "

Milu

Familiar Face
Windsock said:
Sacriledge!!...and it will make you look like a Poodle.

Seriously though and no offence intended but, try to get one that fits from the start. I know you are buying a repro but they were never worn this way. I'm sure they make one that will fit you.:) It will also be too bulky to roll back on itself.

I agree, the poodle look is best avoided. Ideally I would get one that fits from the start. Past experience tells me that the sleeves are likely to be a little long for me. I guess I can always have them shortened.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Shortening 'Irvin' sleeves is relatively easy. Here's what I was taught to do (usually to overcome the common 'bald cuff' syndrome).
For a small degree (1" - 2") of shortening...
Open the zips. Remove the end stoppers from the zip chains. Carefully, using fine pliers or clippers, break off the number of teeth from the end that corresponds to the length you want to reduce the sleeve. Reinstall the end stoppers and try the zip for function. Unpick the sleeve hem, cut off what you require and resew. Job done. As the 8" zip has only had a couple of inches off it, it will still work and not look too bad.

For a larger degree (2"-3") of shortening...
Remove zip, slide up towards elbow by the required amount (you may need to shorten the zip as above for a full 3" cut). reinstall zip and repeat operation on cuff as described above.

This can be done with handstitching if you don't have a machine as all the holes are there. In some ways it's easier.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Milu said:
I agree, the poodle look is best avoided. Ideally I would get one that fits from the start. Past experience tells me that the sleeves are likely to be a little long for me. I guess I can always have them shortened.

Daz1972

New in Town
WW2 IRVIN JACKET SEARCH

Hello Gents and Ladies,

I am trying to get my foot on the Irvin ladder but not sure how to tell a fake from a repro and am worried about what I should be paying.

I believe that a WW2 (which is what I'm after) in my size 42/44 will be expensive - can anyone give me any guidelines on this?

In fact if anyone can help with any pointers on what I should look for, where and a rough price guide that'd be great - or even better, anyone got a WW2 Irvin in my size to sell? - got the cash waiting!!!

I'd consider undertaking a restoration too, so would value pointers on this too..

Failing that I've seen a web site "What Price Glory" and may consider one of these as they see easier on the pocket.

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks, Daz :)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Milu said:
I saw it. Very nice!
Cost is also a consideration, and I'm not sure I could get to Thruxton until after Easter. I don't know enough about Irvin fit and measurements to feel confortable having one made over the internet.

Milu - go for it. Both Aviation Leathercraft, Aero and Eastmann are very helpfull.
You will be asked to take measures yourself including armlength from shoulder to cuff. It's not like leaving an order on the internet and keeping your fingers crossed - just call them up and talk with them. They are all most willing to get you the right size Irvin.
Even when I - due to misundertsanding on their side- got a too small jacket from Aero, they were head over heels to try to make it good. I just had not the time to wait another 5-6 weeks, in order that, they could make another one.
So I ordered one from AL instead - whom I knew from old days and from my first Irvin.
And they too were very keen on making the jacket as I wanted it - even with different, lighter - less bulky and more historical correct - fleece.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
It's absolutely beautifull, Smithy.:D How about yours - been north of the polarcircle I heard!

Haven't been wearing much else, since I got it out of the box. When I see pics of the originals here, I get a good feeling about the weight, thickness and non-bulkyness of mine.
Hope the Irvin Flying Circus will find some time for a get-together soon, so one can actually get a feel and close look on some of the others. And compare both originals and repros. Besides having a few pints, that is!

Improved pictures of Coastal Command/Fleet Air Arm Irvin. Far too warm for such a jacket in London right at the minute, though it may see some service on a walk to the local this evening. Any hints towards who might have manufactured it?

Front 'n' back. 4 panel construction both. Colour of the leather is accurate. I find that when i use a flash it appears much more of an orangey-brown. This is without flash and shows better the darker brown.

CoastalIrvin1.jpg

CoastalIrvin2.jpg

Side, showing the yella hood.

CoastalIrvin4.jpg

Side showing the panels under the arm and the armpit venting. Also showing the belt attachment area. See the inaccurate leather colour?

CoastalIrvin3.jpg

Aero's repro AM zips on the main and arm zippers.

CoastalIrvin5.jpg

Belt 'n' buckle. Note the length of the fleece. This stuff is not short!

CoastalIrvin6.jpg

And the loop for hanging the jacket - not that i actually use it for that, but for the sake of completeness . . . This pic shows most accurately of all of these the colour of the fleece.

CoastalIrvin7.jpg

I'd be happy to take more pics if people have specific requests.

bk

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Daz1972 said:
Hello Gents and Ladies,

I am trying to get my foot on the Irvin ladder but not sure how to tell a fake from a repro and am worried about what I should be paying.

I believe that a WW2 (which is what I'm after) in my size 42/44 will be expensive - can anyone give me any guidelines on this?

In fact if anyone can help with any pointers on what I should look for, where and a rough price guide that'd be great - or even better, anyone got a WW2 Irvin in my size to sell? - got the cash waiting!!!

I'd consider undertaking a restoration too, so would value pointers on this too..

Failing that I've seen a web site "What Price Glory" and may consider one of these as they see easier on the pocket.

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks, Daz :)

Hi,Daz.

I too have recently gone out to find a ww2 Irvin which resulted in a pre-war Irvin from eBay.
Not sure how much knowledge you have yet but here is my beginners guide (bracing myself for all the corrections from the other forum chaps!).

The early pre-war Irvin’s have shorter fleeces and no vertical seams, i.e. they are made from fewer pieces.

Later Irvin’s say from 1940 generally have two vertical seams across the front and back and later in the war they hade even more seams also in the sleeves too. Also later war Irvin’s were contracted but you need to be an expert to tell who made them.

You often see coastal command Irvin’s from around £250.00/£300. These have larger and bulky collars due to a yellow hood stored in them, to be more visible if drifting at sea!

Then there is the issue of original Zips (see previous threads, or better still read them all as I did)

Prices rise from there and I’m afraid the popular size you need commands higher prices.

Then there is the jackets with history attached to them, known owners, stories and such like. And then there is the condition!!

I have seen wearable jackets range from £250 to £1000.

Aero in Scotland has originals sometimes.

I feel if you study pictures on this tread it will be easy to spot a fake.

Best of luck old boy and please let us know how you get on.

James.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Daz,

The whole Irvin thread has the info in one place on the net about Irvins. I would recommend reading it as it should answer most of your questions.

James,

I think you mean horizontal seam tapes rather than vertical ones on mid war Irvin jackets. Whilst it is true that most pre-war jackets were of the typical two panel construction for the back and front, there were exceptions to this and there are pics of early ones with a four panel configuration on this Irvin thread.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
**Paddy Announcement**

You're spot on gents - thanks for the heads up!!

As soon as my attention was drawn to this, I immediately corrected it and we are back where we belong with this one safely home in Outerwear and just in time for 'tea and medals!!;) '

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
aswatland said:
Now here are some pictures of another type of Irvin worn by aircrew at the time of the Dams raids. It is almost certainly a late '30s jacket made by Irvin Air chute. It is a large size, at least a size 5, probably a 6. I have restored it, replaced the ugly plastic YKK main zip with a reclaimed "Dot British zip". One of its owners had sewn various patches on it and the stitch marks are still visible. Nevertheless the sheepskin is very supple and strong. I love the contrasting light russet cowhide facings. The sleeve zips are the single trunnion "Dot made in England" variety and their leather pulls are original.

033-1.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

040.jpg

038-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

I have decided to sell this jacket as it is really too big for me! It's a size 6 with a 50 inch chest (pit to pit-25")! Its going on Ebay tonight if anyone is interested.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's a beauty Andrew and I love the colour of both the fleece and leather. I imagine you will get a pretty penny for this what with it also being a biggie size.

And another thank you Paddy for bringing us back here where we belong, well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe