Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
kools said:
I'm afraid I may not be much help in the "compare to other originals & replicas" department. I certainly know vintage clothing, but leather jackets and especially wartime jackets go beyond what I would consider any area of expertise. I need something to keep me warm & the Irvins sure look good on you guys.

Rest assured, there are quite a few Irvin experts here, so a few pics will do.
If you feel like it, that is :)

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
kools said:
Driving to work this morning it is 5 degrees F & the ground is already covered with snow & ice here. I'm patiently waiting for my WPG to arrive as I join the club.

When did you order yours, Kools? I too am suffering mightily here in the midwest waiting for the WPG Irvin I ordered last Saturday to arrive. I'll be in Duluth this weekend where the forecast high Saturday is 4 degrees F (-12 C for you chaps across the pond). I sure do hope it gets here before then!
I will also post pics if I'm still alive when it gets here.

kools

Practically Family
I, too, ordered mine on Saturday along with a rollneck sweater. I'm kinda hoping I'll have a package waiting for me when I get home tonight, but I'm not banking on it.

I will try to post pics once it arrives.

kools

Practically Family
Look what Saint Nick left on my porch this evening.

P100153.jpg

Sorry...I'm trying to get pics loaded. But if I can't,this is me & my WPG Irvin.

kools

Practically Family
Boyorastroboy...did your's arrive today also?

I'm very happy with what arrived today. From an Irvin novice perspective, it's gonna be a nice jacket that keeps me warm for a long time.

I cannot, however, get my image to show. I seem to be following the instructions by pasting the address from photobucket. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
kools said:
Look what Saint Nick left on my porch this evening.

P100153.jpg

Sorry...I'm trying to get pics loaded. But if I can't,this is me & my WPG Irvin.

maybe not for everyone else but the picture isn't loading for me...have any more? :D

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
kools said:
Boyorastroboy...did your's arrive today also?

I'm very happy with what arrived today. From an Irvin novice perspective, it's gonna be a nice jacket that keeps me warm for a long time.

I cannot, however, get my image to show. I seem to be following the instructions by pasting the address from photobucket. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
I did also receive my WPG Irvin today. I'm a bit torn about it. There's lots to like, but it does have kind of cheapo feel to it (I know: not surprising given the price). The sheepskin portion of it feels kind of fragile to me, I almost thought it was vinyl at first. It'll be interesting to see how it wears. I'm also not sure about the size. I went one size up from my usual 44 and though the sleeve length is great, overall the jacket feels a little poofy. I'm going to try to post some pics shortly, maybe you gents can let me know if it looks right.
Sorry, Kools, I have no idea what could be amiss with your pictures.

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
WPG Irvin Pics

Here's me in my new WPG Irvin. It's roomy even with a sweater, and my girlfriend's telling me it's too big. Though I'm loathe to wait for another, I may indeed need to downsize. I think part of the problem is that the arm holes where the sleeve and the rest of the jacket meet are huge, probably much larger than in an original. The upper portion of the sleeves is therefore very roomy. A smaller size might not be any help there.

NewIrvin1.jpg

NewIrvin2.jpg

NewIrvin3.jpg

It doesn't look as "Michelin Man" unzipped, but I probably wouldn't wear it like that all too often.

kools

Practically Family
P1000153-1.jpg

Here it is. I'm sorry to hear about your sizing issues Boyorastroboy. It does look big. I agree with you regarding the arm holes, they are big. Besides that, the size works well for me as it fits real nicely with a sweater underneath. The chest is nice...not too snug, but not too big. I'm usually a 40-42, so I went up to a 44 on the jacket and it's a perfect fit.

By the way, I believe my image loading problem was that the image was too large. I had it at "message board" size on photobucket, but needed to reduce the size to get it to work.

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
SamMarlowPI said:
they look good though...think ill still get one...

Yeah, they do look pretty good in person too. The leather does strike me as wimpy, though. Unfortunately, I don't really have a very good frame of reference, since I'm comparing to very thick cowhide and goatskin MC jackets I've owned. It really feels like I could rip this with my hands without much effort. If anyone out there has had their hands on a WPG Irvin and a real one or higher-end replica, I'd be interested to hear their opinion.
I knew I'd be in for less-than-stellar workmanship buying an 'entry level', cheap (tag says made in Pakistan) coat for a fraction of the cost of a good replica, but I was hoping the cost savings were more in labor and accuracy of zippers and that sort of thing than in the actual sheepskin. Again, I could be suffering from a lack of familiarity with shearling--it might be tougher than it feels.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Seems like you gents have got some very nice jacket. Off course one needs to hold them, to be able to judge the authencity and quality.
See details like buckels, zippers, underarmventilation etc.
One thing struck me though - the colour seem to be sort of "redish". Maybe it's only the photo and the (electric) lighting that does that.

But overall - seems like you gents have made a good bargin.
Welcome to the club of insane Irvinlovers:D
From now you are hooked!;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm with Spitty, well done!

I have heard before from an RAF reeactor that I know that the leather on the WPG is of a different standard than other repros like Eastman and Aero for example. But overall the pattern of the WPG looks good.

Kool, good job that size looks perfect on you.

boyorastroboy, you might possibly be able to go for a smaller size as your jacket does look a tad largish in the photos you posted but much depends on how you feel in the jacket. If you are looking to compare with originals and other repros have a trawl back over this thread. Andrew (aswatland) has posted a lot of pics of his fine collection of original Irvins, Spitfire recently posted some pics of his Aviation Leathercraft Irvin, and I posted quite a few pics of my Eastman 1940 (Battle of Britain) Pattern Irvin.

Great to see some other Loungers getting into Irvins!

Marv

A-List Customer
Guys, I wouldn't worry too much about how your jackets look size wise, as long as they are comfortable, warm and you can wear what you like underneath then that's perfect in my book.
Here's a snap of John "Killy" Kilmartin and Bill Stratton and their Irvins look slightly oversized but still do the job whilst looking rather cool. :)

1st_squad_kilmartin_stratto.jpg

Mike1973

A-List Customer

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I have examined an example of the WPG jacket. You are right. The sheepskin is noticeably lighter in weight than that of original jackets (of which I have owned a few) and the usual repros (which I have also owned). To be fair to Jerry, he mentions this factor in his 'blurb'. He doesn't say anything about the cut, but anyone who is familiar with WPG (or SoF) re-enactors' gear will know that it is cut 'to suit the modern body' (as SoF puts it). In other words, big armholes and a loose cut. Perhaps he should recommend buyers to order a smaller size?

Alan

boyorastroboy said:
Yeah, they do look pretty good in person too. The leather does strike me as wimpy, though. Unfortunately, I don't really have a very good frame of reference, since I'm comparing to very thick cowhide and goatskin MC jackets I've owned. It really feels like I could rip this with my hands without much effort. If anyone out there has had their hands on a WPG Irvin and a real one or higher-end replica, I'd be interested to hear their opinion.
I knew I'd be in for less-than-stellar workmanship buying an 'entry level', cheap (tag says made in Pakistan) coat for a fraction of the cost of a good replica, but I was hoping the cost savings were more in labor and accuracy of zippers and that sort of thing than in the actual sheepskin. Again, I could be suffering from a lack of familiarity with shearling--it might be tougher than it feels.

Windsock

A-List Customer
I've not seen one of these in the flesh, only through reviews on the VLJ, and i'm only basing my comments compared to originals, but from what i've seen the main issue with these is the shape of the collar which is more B-3 than Irvin- possibly belying it's US origin. The general shape of the jacket appears quite close to the early '40's pattern they appear to have copied but the collar appears inaccurate having collar "points" at what look like right angles-90degrees. Original collar "points" varied from jacket to jacket but are obtuse- ie greater than 90deg. Pre-Wars I have measured varied from 107 degrees to 115 degrees, and my '41 measures 100 degrees.

Don't try to compare the fit to other jackets such as an A-2 as they are seriously outerware made to be worn over multiple layers so will be generous ans bulky by nature,

Nice period pics too. I plan to post all the period shots I have of originals when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe