Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iron Heart Nagoya

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IHUK selling items for markup + British VAT is one thing. Having a global monopoly such that even sales by stores in the U.S. are handled through them and incorporate that cost is another still.

I don’t give Iron Heart Japan a pass for it to be clear. I don't see them as passive in giving Giles his monopoly.

As far as I understand, Giles and Haraki quickly went beyond producers and distibutor to become partners. From a business perspective it is certainly better for them. They have better control of their brand and can avoid their image being diluted by the decisions of others.

For the customer, it means higher prices, but also means centralised customer service, and a really good one at that.

I am not sure what is wrong in Haraki giving the overseas market to Giles?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
As far as I understand, Giles and Haraki quickly went beyond producers and distibutor to become partners. From a business perspective it is certainly better for them. They have better control of their brand and can avoid their image being diluted by the decisions of others.

For the customer, it means higher prices, but also means centralised customer service, and a really good one at that.

I am not sure what is wrong in Haraki giving the overseas market to Giles?
IH Japan could be getting extra payments from IHUK in exchange for exclusive overseas rights. Pure guess on my part; I don't know how that works on a global scale in terms of anti-competitive practices. I suspect it is fine; diamond cartels are doing quite well, thank you very much. And if there are enough people willing to pay $500 for a quality pair of pants + excellent customer service, who am I to criticize that? I do love my second hand IH canvas chinos, I will say that.

red devil

IH Japan could be getting extra payments from IHUK in exchange for exclusive overseas rights. Pure guess on my part; I don't know how that works on a global scale in terms of anti-competitive practices. I suspect it is fine; diamond cartels are doing quite well, thank you very much. And if there are enough people willing to pay $500 for a quality pair of pants + excellent customer service, who am I to criticize that? I do love my second hand IH canvas chinos, I will say that.

Ah yes, I don't really know how that works either.

But then again we are talking about how a successful company in the Japanese denim world decides to distribute itself, not about a monopoly over their sector. As far as I am aware, there are many Japanese denim brands available for us to buy whether in the US or the EU, correct? (I have not worn denim in a while, and it is not looking likely I will wear any before losing at least another 5kg lol)

Buying second hand is always an option indeed :)

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Ah yes, I don't really know how that works either.

But then again we are talking about how a successful company in the Japanese denim world decides to distribute itself, not about a monopoly over their sector. As far as I am aware, there are many Japanese denim brands available for us to buy whether in the US or the EU, correct? (I have not worn denim in a while, and it is not looking likely I will wear any before losing at least another 5kg lol)

Buying second hand is always an option indeed :)
As a cheapskate, I don't shop at the international denim stores, the prices are higher and I am not local to them so it would just be online shopping anyways for me and I can't try them on nor would it be particularly easy or cheap to return for sizing.

So for me, the difference is that other brands like Warehouse, Sugar Cane, TCB and more, I can get them from Japanese retailers for the Japanese domestic price minus their sales tax (so even cheaper than for their domestic customers) and sometimes even shipped for free from some retailers. Iron Heart distribution is heavily controlled so their domestic stores aren't allowed to ship abroad so my only option is going through Iron Heart UK.

As I said, I am very budget concious so that makes a big difference for me, because comparing like for like, Iron Heart would be significantly more expensive than other brands that would be the same price tier in Japan.

That being said, I had a great experience dealing with them for my Wesco boots, so for brands like GOOD ART HLYWD, I'd go with them because it's the same price as others and they have a generous shipping policy.

Last edited:

red devil

As a cheapskate, I don't shop at the international denim stores, the prices are higher and I am not local to them so it would just be online shopping anyways for me and I can't try them on nor would it be particularly easy or cheap to return for sizing.

So for me, the difference is that other brands like Warehouse, Sugar Cane, TCB and more, I can get them from Japanese retailers for the Japanese domestic price minus their sales tax (so even cheaper than for their domestic customers) and sometimes even shipped for free from some retailers. Iron Heart distribution is heavily controlled so their domestic stores aren't allowed to ship abroad so my only option is going through Iron Heart UK.

As I said, I am very budget concious so that makes a big difference for me, because comparing like for like, Iron Heart would be significantly more expensive than other brands that would be the same price tier in Japan.

That being said, I had a great experience dealing with them for my Wesco boots, so for brands like GOOD ART HLYWD, I'd go with them because it's the same price as others and they have a generous shipping policy.

Thanks for the context.

It makes sense for you to get the most value for your money, I would not call this being a cheapskate personally.

In the US, you are lucky to be able to buy such items without paying any customs, here in the UK it is cutthroat lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markjames