Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy hat post em up

RBH

Bartender
mingoslim said:
112307a.jpg

I know the ribbon is not wide enough . . . but maybe if Indiana became a member of the Brotherhood, he would have worn a hat like this . . .
I am sure he wore a thin ribbon Slim! He just wore his other hat so the thin ribbon would stay clean.:D

mingoslim

Practically Family
Rick Blaine said:
Is it a Borsalino, Open Road or what?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

It is a pre-OR Stetson Royal 3X . . . the date penciled on the inside of the sweat is 1947 . . .

As for the Indiana Jones . . . as someone who has worked on an archaeological dig in the middle east on more than one occasion, I can promise you he did not wear that hat all the time . . .

In my Indiana Jones mode I was more likely to wear something like this:

cap1994-abila.jpg

RBH

Bartender
mingoslim said:
It is a pre-OR Stetson Royal 3X . . . the date penciled on the inside of the sweat is 1947 . . .

As for the Indiana Jones . . . as someone who has worked on an archaeological dig in the middle east on more than one occasion, I can promise you he did not wear that hat all the time . . .

In my Indiana Jones mode I was more likely to wear something like this:

cap1994-abila.jpg
Cool photo Slim, thanks for posting it.

tracyam

One of the Regulars
me6.jpg

Hey people,
First time poster here. I've been reading up here on hats for a while now and just got my account activated. What a great website.

This is not really an Indy hat. It's just an inexpensive "lite felt" hat I got to wear around. Still though, I'd like to get one of those high falootin' Indy hats one day.

However, because I actually am an archaeologist, I usually only wear this when I'm around non-archaeologist, friends, or vacation. If I know I'm going to be around other archaeologists I usually don't bother wearing it. For some reason I feel like they won't take me seriously. Yeah, yeah...I know. It's silly.

tracyam

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the Lounge tracyam.
Damn what the others might say, thats a great looking hat on you. I SAY WEAR IT !

Thanks for the kind words. Maybe when I find a dark green or dark gray soft hat I won't have such a problem with it.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Welcome tracyam- wear it!

I'm new too (well, here anyway- my wife's looking over my shoulder and just said, "No you aren't"!). There goes my ego!!

Anyhoo, tracyam, the thing is do you like the hat and does it do what you bought it for!?! (Keep the; sun off, rain off, head warm, head cool, etc.). If so, wear it proudly! :p

My first real fedora was one of the Stetson Indy's from gosh knows which of the films (I told you I was new- I should know!). It wasn't the top of the line because I was in graduate school but it was "fur felt" and a gift! I wasn't going to get it at all - I felt a bit silly in a hat that didn't have a bill and a logo on the front (waaaayyyy too much baseball!).:rolleyes: My wife said it looked sexy. I still thought silly.

I still have it (though many have come and gone= hats, I mean). The only time I feel a little silly now is when I wear it with a copy of a n A-2 Flight Jacket (but it is closer to a G-2) and someone asks why I'm dressing like Indy. :rage: (Jacket is a Bannana Republic A-2 clone- according to their goofy catalog- I don't know who made it- purchased around 1985). Now that the hair has decided I should look more like my grandfather than the picture in my head, I feel less cool without one. And I have grown to feel just a little "mis-dressed" if I don't have a knife in my pocket and a hat on my noggin! ;)

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Thanks much.

Thanks RBH. I have been looking around for a few days. The folks in the Lounge seemed more helpful and friendly - like old friends offering friendly advice rather than making newbies feel silly (what's with me and feeling silly today?). :eek:

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Question for fishmeok

RBH said:
Nice Federation and a great photo, thanks.

Is that a Fed or the Deluxe? (Either way, looks good). Also, is hatsdirect the exclusive source on those. I can't seem to find a Fed anywhere else. It strikes me more as a hat Indy would copy rather than the other way round. A bit more style and adaptive yet just as rugged and functional as the Indys (all meant as complements!). lol Congrats on the anniversary :eusa_clap - we are up to 26+. Surprise- she still likes me, fsr.

mingoslim

Practically Family
Welcome mtechthang and traceyam . . .

Wear what you want . . .
You need the coverage in the field . . . at least you do in the mid-east, which is where I worked in the 80s and 90s.

And if anyone asks if you are trying to look like Indy, tell them the truth . . . Indiana Jones is a fictional archaeologist . . . and more a treasure-hunter than real archaeologist . . . He was trying to look like the real thing, which is what YOU ARE! SO in a way, Indiana Jones is copying you, and a host of others who have gone before you (myself included) . . .

RBH

Bartender
mingoslim said:
Wear what you want . . .
You need the coverage in the field . . . at least you do in the mid-east, which is where I worked in the 80s and 90s.

And if anyone asks if you are trying to look like Indy, tell them the truth . . . Indiana Jones is a fictional archaeologist . . . and more a treasure-hunter than real archaeologist . . . He was trying to look like the real thing, which is what YOU ARE! SO in a way, Indiana Jones is copying you, and a host of others who have gone before you (myself included) . . .
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
mingoslim- YEAH!!!

That's one of the great lines/sentiments ever! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Underlying it is, of course, you aren't copying anyone. And if you do pick up some pointers it is just you developing your style. I read a book right after graduate school which attempted to differentiate between having a style and being in style. Folks who are "in style" never have style. Also, I live in a high mountain desert region where temps in the summer regularly get to 110+ with 60s at night. Consider taking the plunge on a really fine Panama Fedora or Havana!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
tracyam said:
me6.jpg

Hey people,
First time poster here. I've been reading up here on hats for a while now and just got my account activated. What a great website.

This is not really an Indy hat. It's just an inexpensive "lite felt" hat I got to wear around. Still though, I'd like to get one of those high falootin' Indy hats one day.

However, because I actually am an archaeologist, I usually only wear this when I'm around non-archaeologist, friends, or vacation. If I know I'm going to be around other archaeologists I usually don't bother wearing it. For some reason I feel like they won't take me seriously. Yeah, yeah...I know. It's silly.
Welcome to the Lounge, Tracyam. It's nice to have another archeologist around, too!

I comepletely agree on the issue of not wearing an Indy style fedora around other arch types. We run the real risk of losing credibility as professionals. Even though I wear a hat daily, and some are fedoras, I purposefully avoid brown ones for that reason. Doesn't make any difference, though, any hat evokes the Indiana Jones comments. My light tan Akubra Flinders evokes Indy comments! It looks almost identical to this Gymkana, but with the bound edge. Does this even resemble Indy's hat?!

Gymkhana.jpg

Here's my usual working attire around here when it's cold (inlcuidng the Akubra Riverina):

GiantDecorticationFlakesm.jpg

And when it's hot (in this case with my Newcastle slouch, but more often with a straw):
VirginiaDaleMine.jpg

Even with a green hat with a puggaree, desert boots, shorts and a chambray shirt, I still get "Hey, it's Indiana Jones!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe