Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Independence day! 2015

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Consumer fireworks were banned in Maine in the late forties -- my mother remembers the day her brother lit a cherry bomb in the back seat of the family car going across the Waldo-Hancock Bridge, and couldn't get the window rolled down to throw it our. They couldn't open the back door because the car had suicide doors, and they finally shoved it out the front window just as the thing went off. It could have killed all of them if it had gone off in that closed car -- which likely would have careened into the side of or thru the side of the bridge and into the river 90 feet below. Some fun.

Anyway, aside from the occasional box of sparklers, and kids banging on roll caps with a rock on the sidewalk, consumer fireworks were a very rare thing when I was growing up. They were legal in New Hampshire and in Quebec, so people on road trips would sometimes sneak a pack or two of firecrackers across the border, but I never even heard of bottle rockets until some neighbors got hold of some for the Bicentennial. They were little squibby things that didn't seem much worth the effort.

Up until recently, the worst I'd experience I'd had with fireworks was about twelve years ago when the drug dealers living in the house next door to me got a crate of skyrockets and shot them off directly in front of my house. Our street is barely twelve feet wide, and the houses are generally less than twenty feet apart, and I basically have no front yard at all. So it was like my own little slice of the Blitz out here until they got done. The next morning there were gawping holes melted in the tar where they'd launched the things.

Two years ago they legalized consumer fireworks here in a move that was opposed by all public safety officials in the state. Our town, along with many others, immediately exercised the local option clause and passed municipal bans, but a fat lot of good that did. Over the past week, idiots have been shelling my neighborhood every night, and sometimes even during the day -- something went off yesterday afternoon that sounded like an actual bomb going off, and everybody on the street was out back looking around to see what it was. Eventually someone's going to get killed, or there'll be a disastrous neighborhood fire, and then we'll see who's having fun.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
As small kids who didn’t know any better, we used to cut open the small firecrackers & gather the powder
& placed it in discarded medicine bottles . Tins cans & huge metal garbage cans is where we would detonate them. The sound
could be heard all over the neighborhood. The bottle rockets came in different sizes, but we couldn’t afford them.
We were ignorant kids & had no supervision. It’s a miracle we weren’t seriously injured. One thing though, I never saw any of
the kids target cats or dogs. But if they had tried, I would've beat the crap out of them. It was my grandmother who influenced
me in a better direction growing up. My sisters, some of them would play with the sparklers but when it got near the end, they
would give it to me, because they were afraid of the sparks burning them. You must remember that the sparklers were a tad
bigger than the ones produced today ! :D

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Growing up, in the country, it was rare that I knew anyone who put up their own fireworks. The local fire departments would have an event. I knew families who used hand held sparklers and a few ground displays (all illegal) but nothing big.

When we moved into a decent sized city ten years ago (300,000 people in the greater metropolitan area) i was amazed at the size of the fireworks people put up. This was in 1950s style suburbs, densely packed with yards that were 50 ft by 100ft. I could have reached out and touched my neighbors house while touching my own on both sides. But there people were putting off rocket types. And everything was still illegal.

I'm not sure if that's due to cultural differences (city versus country), time marching on, etc. But I noticed that where I live now (a small city of 20,000) there wasn't nearly the fireworks that I experienced in the bigger city thats only 40 mIles away. I heard some rockets on the holiday (still illegal) and saw the ground display put off in the parking lot (legal), but it wasn't the five day war zone we had in the bigger city.

Maybe it's a function of where you live and the culture there? Suburbs versus smsll cities versus small towns? Here it doesn't seem like something you do, you go to the community fireworks and don't do your own thing.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
When I was a kid, we had Black Cats and bottle rockets. The former you would light and throw, the latter, you were suppose to put in a used pop bottle light and it would go up in the air and explode. I said, suppose, because we would hold the stick, light them and let them go horizontal at the target! We also had Cherry bombs and M-80s, both are banned by the U.S. congress since 1966. I do remember being very disappointed latter in life, when I was exposed to real high explosives, to find out, an M-80 is not even close to a real quarter stick of Dynamite in power. Still, an M-80 will completely mangle a child's hand if it explodes even close!

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Wow, you all had very different childhoods from me. Growing up, my dad was the local pyromaniac (having accidentally burned down half a harvested corn field a few years after he moved in). Every 4th we'd have a huge barbecue AND grilling party and at sunset we would blow up a pack of large firecrackers to signal the fireworks show. We lived in the county at the edge of town (literally our property was the town line) and my uncle was a county officer and my neighbors wife was deputy county sheriff so we never got bothered by the police. My dad would go across the border to Indiana and score some decent cakes and stuff while my uncle would bring over confiscated mortars and M-80s. We'd blow up our backyard. Half the neighborhood would be at the party and the other half would show up any way. I've even seen town cops sitting at the town line enjoying the show but unable to do anything about it.We haven't thrown a party like that since my high school graduation. I miss them a lot.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Growing up in Illinois, I always envied the Wisconsin kids as they had access to fireworks. We could buy oleomargarine in Illinois: not much of a tradeoff when you're a small boy.

At nine, I knew exactly where I wanted to attend college. And then I found out that it was Virginia Polytechnic (and not Pyrotechnic) Institute.

Growing up in Illinois, I always envied the Wisconsin kids as they had access to fireworks. We could buy oleomargarine in Illinois: not much of a tradeoff when you're a small boy. ...

I was born In Madison and lived there on and off for the first dozen years or so of my life. I recall grownup relatives coming back home from trips down to Illinois with cases of margarine.

Whatever "real" fireworks that might have been obtained in Wisconsin weren't readily available in Madison. Some kids got their mitts on cherry bombs, which we regarded as something just marginally less illicit than, say, heroin. And I remember car rides with the Old Man out in the countryside, with him tossing explosives of one sort or another out the window of our Studebaker Lark. Fine role model, that guy. It's a wonder we survived our childhood. (One of my brothers nearly didn't, on account of his recklessness.)

tonyb, similar experiences here. I remember the Old Man and some of his less than sober friends and relatives launching M-80's and cherrybombs with a slingshot, or flips as we called them down here. May be why I'm not a huge fan to this day.

Most telling four words in the story ...

"Alcohol was a factor ... "

Every time I read a story of someone doing something really stupid, it's typically followed by "police think alcohol may have been involved."

A similar thing happened here in Texas this past weekend, though the guy tried to light the fireworks off his chest, rather than his head. Perhaps he considered his head, and then though "you know, the head might not be such a good idea..."

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, alcohol is something of a wonder drug, eh? Makes us smarter, braver, cleverer, better looking, more talented, bulletproof, et cetera.

The most dangerous words in the English language, "here, hold my beer!"

tmal

One of the Regulars
Light 'em up! Go boom! Screw authority and ignore alien orders! This is a country of rebels. Are you or ain't you are a rebel? If it upsets authority, all the better! What do you think those guys at Valley Forge suffered for? (Oh no sir, you can't light that firecracker.)