Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Independence day! 2015

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I've been avoiding Holidays since I lost my parents… treating them like the plague. Melancholia sets in and I don't want to think about celebrating anything. But I think today… today I should go watch some things explode while I shout at the british monarchy from afar about how we will never live under their tyranny… we make our own rules your highness! NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION! Happy fourth! TAKE THAT KING GEORGE! (waving fist in the air in defiance)

My All American In-N-Out Animal Style Burger.
11701037_10153025993743811_2607983706118645325_n.jpg

pawineguy

One Too Many
I have to admit that one of my favorite parts of my recent West Coast swing was my lunch at In-N-Out. (It's a must when I'm in CA) I respect them for not franchising but open up in the Northeast already!! I take a double-double with fries. Happy Fourth.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
We're headed to a low-key get-together with one of hubby's co-workers. No drinking or stupidity involved - just some good conversation and good food.

Just got finished watching the Astros get their collective butt whipped. Got some shrimp and crab legs to cook now.

Which brings up one of my traditions growing up. There's a regional dish from the Gulf Coast of Florida called "crab shala". It's blue crab cooked in a spicy tomato-based sauce served over spaghetti. We always had it on the 4th of July. I'd make it now, but it's a lot of work, not the least of which is going down to the pier and getting the crabs. So I'm steaming crab legs.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I haven't had a fourth of July off from work for fifteen years, but few people go to the movies on July 4th so it's a relaxing afteroon. I'm eating Kentucky Fried Chicken and listening to the radio while half a dozen people watch the 5:30 movie. As is traditional it's gotten cold and foggy, so probably the fireworks will be cancelled.

But I've got my flag out at home. Even a lefty descended from Nova Scotia Loyalists gets to celebrate.

Bro. Hudson -- I thought that game was just fine, thanks. Every once in a while Buchholz labors under the delusion that he's an All Star.

Last edited:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We had a nice get-together and cookout with the family yesterday. As three of my four children work in health care (and, ironically, are all having to work this weekend), the 3rd of July was our 4th of July. That was probably a good thing, as it is pouring the rain right now (and has all day today).

Hope everyone has a grand 45th of July.

I was happy for the rain that fell last night. That might free up the fire department a bit.

As to your kids working in health care this day, Big Man, here's hoping they have a quiet holiday.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was happy for the rain that fell last night. That might free up the fire department a bit.

As to your kids working in health care this day, Big Man, here's hoping they have a quiet holiday.

Yes, the rain is a welcome sight to the Fire Department, especially with all the fireworks last night and tonight.

As to my kids, thanks. They all three work in direct patient care. Two of them at a State psychiatric hospital and the other at a State MR facility.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I have to admit that one of my favorite parts of my recent West Coast swing was my lunch at In-N-Out. (It's a must when I'm in CA) I respect them for not franchising but open up in the Northeast already!! I take a double-double with fries. Happy Fourth.

When I visited Temecula on the West Coast. I happened to stop at the local In-N-Out. All the personnel were clean cut kids
with a very positive friendly attitude. I was told by my friend who lives there, that the owner has provided free of charge for
the kids to go & attend college.
I thought that was a nice thing !

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Put my flag out this morning, then went back to bed! I think all the non stop action last month finally caught up with me. It rained for about 20 minutes, forgot about the flag, good thing, now the white stripes are bright again, and it smells good! Not watching the fire works, but I am listing to them. Happy, Independence Day!

...Not watching the fire works, but I am listing to them...
You can't help but hear them in our neighborhood. Our neighbors start in the first week of June--one here, one there, throughout the month--and on July 4th they barely wait for the sun to approach the horizon before turning our neighborhood into the sound effects track of a World War II movie. I swear, some of them must spend half a year's salary on fireworks, and they're not even legal in our city. 3.5 hours so far, and I'd guess they'll go for at least another hour. Then it'll be back to "one here, one there" for the next week or so. And because we have a cat and a dog who appreciate the noise far less than we do, we usually spend our July 4th at home trying to keep them calm. This year my wife attended a barbecue hosted by some good friends, so I stayed home and acted as "the good parent". For anyone who hasn't caught on yet, Fourth of July "celebrations" don't impress me, especially since most of the people we know only use the holiday as an excuse to drink too much and blow things up.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It seems that every nation that has come into contact with the Brits, has some sort of national day. And how they celebrate that day. Some indictment on our part. Here in The British Isles, the gaelic nations all enjoy their patron saint's day, with the Irish going overboard on St. Patrick's day. But the English day of St. George, April 23rd, is suppressed, to the point where we are told that it's racist to celebrate "Englishness."

I do hope our American cousins enjoyed their celebrations, but a word of warning. Look up The Royal Society of London. They are plotting a restoration of our former empire.
NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION! Happy fourth! TAKE THAT KING GEORGE! (waving fist in the air in defiance)
Have you ever seen the British sit-com called Dad's Army? Your taxation quote reminded me of it. (Your name is on the list.)
[video=youtube;0V3SqxUomwk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V3SqxUomwk[/video]

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I think Brits should rightfully feel immensely proud of this day also!
The British cimmander was the Earl of Sandwich (err, right?), and he was reluctant to disembark from Royal Navy ships to do any 'leading' and 'fighting', by far preferring to play cards. As a function of which, he asked for meat to be put between two slices of bread.
This first 'sandwich' is a milestone in British cultural development that has benefitted the whole world!
It's a win-win situation all round!

St. Louis

Practically Family
My British coworker, who happens to be back in his native land at the moment, emailed me yesterday: "Rest assured, we always have a major celebration for American independence here. It's one of the happiest days in our history."

Meanwhile, I ran up the flag early yesterday morning and discovered that many of the stripes had begun to separate. I guess it's time to retire this flag and find a new one. From what I've been able to discover, though, the only way to retire a flag properly is to burn it in a ceremony, and I absolutely can't do that in this neighborhood. Any advice? Would a local American Legion post take the flag from me? I can't bring myself just to throw it in the kitchen trash.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
My British coworker, who happens to be back in his native land at the moment, emailed me yesterday: "Rest assured, we always have a major celebration for American independence here. It's one of the happiest days in our history."

Meanwhile, I ran up the flag early yesterday morning and discovered that many of the stripes had begun to separate. I guess it's time to retire this flag and find a new one. From what I've been able to discover, though, the only way to retire a flag properly is to burn it in a ceremony, and I absolutely can't do that in this neighborhood. Any advice? Would a local American Legion post take the flag from me? I can't bring myself just to throw it in the kitchen trash.

Yes, they would. A lot of posts, like mine in Maryville, have a formal flag burning ceremony at some point in the year.