Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm going clothes shopping, what do you suggest?

Brinybay

Practically Family
Until I found this forum I never gave a thought to style, I went for practical, which meant a couple pairs of jeans and some golf and sweatshirts.

I still need to be practical, but I would like to get into something a little more stylish. It also needs to be stuff I can get locally at major dept stores and within a reasonable price range, no more than I would normally spend on a new pair of jeans. I'm not above going to Goodwill, the main one in Seattle is right off the freeway and easy to get to. There's also a couple other smaller ones near me.

I'm looking to buy some shirts and pants for every day knock-around use, maybe some shoes and also a jacket. I need a light jacket for spring and summer (yes, it does get warm in Seattle that time of year). Any ideas?

Brinybay

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Here's a thread on wardrobe staples.

Thanks, but that's The Powder Room for women. As a guy I'm not concerned about blouses, evening gowns and such. I'm not necessarily looking for a specific era look, just something more stylish than blue jeans and sweatshirts.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Brinybay said:
I'm a blue-collar guy, the only opportunities for me to wear a suit are at weddings and funerals.
Back in the day it wasn't uncommon for blue collar men to wear suits and sportcoats on their off hours;Some workplaces even had locker rooms, with showers, to accommodate such.

Marty M.

Vendor
Blue collar with a white collar attitude.

Tomasso said:
Back in the day it wasn't uncommon for blue collar men to wear suits and sportcoats on their off hours;Some workplaces even had locker rooms, with showers, to accommodate such.

He speak'um truth (he's always right, I hate that :eusa_doh: ). I really like hearing that your attitude towards clothing is changing towards "Puttin on the Ritz" more. You don't have to wear a suit. Have you thought about wearing a navy blazer with your jeans and a nice tee shirt? Or trying a 3/4 length lightweight dresser outer jacket paired up with khaki's and a knit top?

Now that you're breaking your old mold and developing a new one, you'll have to come up with your own personal style. Easier said then done, but it can be a lot of fun. I would recommend going back to the "What are you wearing" section of the Lounge again. Go back to the beginning and start clicking. There are more fellas with personal style there, then any that have graced the pages of GQ magazine.
I'm probably not the guy whose picture postings you'll want to emulate (too dressy). But, there are a lot of other guys that have a great "dressy" casual look. One of my favorite "Stylist" from that section is Lucky Strike. Check out his postings in particular. His casual side is absolutely brilliant. Good luck.
Marty Mathis

Brinybay

Practically Family
Tomasso said:

I realize that, but I'm looking for stylish, but casual. I would feel silly and uncomfortable wearing a suit all the time. My everyday activities simply do not allow for that formal of attire.

My employer prescribes a uniform - shirt, pants, shoes, that they pay for, I can wear only that to work. As a matter of fact, they do have showers and locker rooms available, but be damned if I'm going to get naked at work! I have a shower and closet space at home, I don't need theirs. Besides, this isn't for work.

Someone suggested in another thread Chino pants. I looked them up, very practical for my needs, major stores carry them and they are within my price range, now I need some suggestions for shirts, shoes and a light jacket.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Marty M. said:
I really like hearing that your attitude towards clothing is changing towards "Puttin on the Ritz" more. You don't have to wear a suit. Have you thought about wearing a navy blazer with your jeans and a nice tee shirt? Or trying a 3/4 length lightweight dresser outer jacket paired up with khaki's and a knit top?

Hey Marty

I'm totally clueless to clothes and also terms. When browsing FL, I have a second tab open to a dictionary to look up some of the terms youse guys use. That's a good thing. T-shirts I know, sweatshirts I know, golf shirts I know, but what's a "blazer"? "Dresser outer jacket"? "Knit top"?

Marty M. said:
I would recommend going back to the "What are you wearing" section of the Lounge again. Go back to the beginning and start clicking. There are more fellas with personal style there, then any that have graced the pages of GQ magazine.

I'll start browsing that thread and ask some questions when I see something I like, that is if they've posted pictures.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Brinybay said:
Thanks, but that's The Powder Room for women. As a guy I'm not concerned about blouses, evening gowns and such. I'm not necessarily looking for a specific era look, just something more stylish than blue jeans and sweatshirts.

Oops! I'm sorry! :eek:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
One woman's suggestions

A few things to consider before you shop:

Your build. Lean, fit people can wear knit and slim fitting clothes; a heavy-set person looks better in woven, tailored clothes with a fit that's not too narrow or baggy.

Neck. If you have a short neck, a low-collar shirt or v-neck works best. With a longer neck, a crew neck or higher collar works best.

Leg length. If you're short legged, high-waisted pants may look good. But if you're short waisted (length from neck to waist), better to have pants that ride a little lower, and sweaters a little longer.

What you will be doing. Working with your hands? Hiking? Dancing? Being a flaneur?

Shoes--whatever style you wear, they should be clean and, depending on the material, shined. Make sure to clean the welts--they collect dust.

Finally, one of the most important things is the fit. Men nowadays tend to wear clothes that they could fit two of themselves in. Pants shouldn't fall to the floor without a belt. Nor should they drag the ground, getting ragged and picking up every nasty thing on the sidewalk. Sleeves should start at the top of the arm, not at mid-bicep. Long sleeves shouldn't come down to your knuckles. If you would look sharp, see a tailor.

Good luck!

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Brinybay said:
I'm totally clueless to clothes and also terms. When browsing FL, I have a second tab open to a dictionary to look up some of the terms youse guys use. That's a good thing. T-shirts I know, sweatshirts I know, golf shirts I know, but what's a "blazer"? "Dresser outer jacket"? "Knit top"?
I'm a fan of courdory--both slacks and sportjackets. My husband has a courdory blazer that he wears on the weekends like this one from JCPenny's:

0900631b81302d38M.TIF

Or something like this is nice (but I also really like plaid):

0900631b813ef418M.TIF

Catalogues are also a good place to start, because you can get an idea of how to put looks together. You can also find something you like in a magazine or catalogue, and then try to find the various pieces in less expensive stores.

From what I've seen, "blazer" and "sportsjacket" are pretty much interchangeable terms.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Good info, thanks. I'm 5'8", 200lbs, but working on the weight, have lost 12 lbs so far since the first of the year. My goal is to get to 170-180, and stay there (I've done this before, then went back to old habits and, well, the result is as I am now.)

I looked up some of the stuff Marty was suggesting.

Blazers - I'm not so sure about those, still may be a bit too dressy for my tastes, but I'll look around. There's also an association that I have a hard time shaking about blazers. My worst nemesis in my High School years was an obnoxious, upper-crust snob who always wore a blazer. To this day I think of him whenever I see someone wearing a similar one.

Knit tops - i.e. sweaters. Not real keen on sweaters, but I like sweater vests.

I couldn't find anything on "outer dresser jacket". Overcoat? If someone has a link to a pic of one, that would help.

Activities - just general day-to-day stuff, housework, shopping, surfing the net, going for walk, go to lunch or dinner (informal cafes mostly), walk the dog, visit a friend, etc.

I think I have the pants down - Chino's. And since I'm loosing weight, I can go to Goodwill and look for good used ones so I don't end up spending a lot of money on pants that won't fit in a few months.

I guess I have a medium neck, I'm not real sure, here's a current pic if that helps:

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Hey Brinbay. I'm pretty new here myself, but please allow me to risk some input on all this.

Brinybay said:
Good info, thanks. I'm 5'8", 200lbs, but working on the weight, have lost 12 lbs so far since the first of the year. My goal is to get to 170-180, and stay there (I've done this before, then went back to old habits and, well, the result is as I am now.)

Good for you. I've been there and done that. I am currently 5'8" and about 225. Yeah, I'm working on it too. From your picture, we're not that differently built.

I looked up some of the stuff Marty was suggesting.

Blazers - I'm not so sure about those, still may be a bit too dressy for my tastes, but I'll look around. There's also an association that I have a hard time shaking about blazers. My worst nemesis in my High School years was an obnoxious, upper-crust snob who always wore a blazer. To this day I think of him whenever I see someone wearing a similar one.

Advice from my father: do yourself a favor and buy a navy blue blazer with pewter buttons. This jacket can be worn with a pair of gray dress slacks or khaki Dockers (or even Chinos) and look terrific. Dress it up with a crisp white dress shirt and a tasteful tie in the red family, and you can go virtually anywhere.

The blazer can be polyester, but really favor worsted wool. Wool feels better, last longer and actually looks better. I recommend the single breasted because it's more versatile. Of course, if your built like me, the low-gorge, 6 X 1 double breasted (DB) jacket can make you look a little taller and leaner. Gold buttons on the navy blue used to be in vogue, but pewter seems more versatile. Gold on navy is a bit nautical looking.

Knit tops - i.e. sweaters. Not real keen on sweaters, but I like sweater vests.

Sweater vests are good for a lot of reasons. I personally enjoy sweaters because they are much like sweatshirts only dressier.

I couldn't find anything on "outer dresser jacket". Overcoat? If someone has a link to a pic of one, that would help.

I believe overcoat is what you're after. Consider a wool-cashmere blend or a really sharp Bogart-like trench coat. If you look around they can be had for little cash. My charcoal overcoat was about $120 and my taupe trench was about $80 online at Burlington Coat Factory. Not a plug, just an example.

Activities - just general day-to-day stuff, housework, shopping, surfing the net, going for walk, go to lunch or dinner (informal cafes mostly), walk the dog, visit a friend, etc.

If you look for opportunities to dress up and have a few wardrobe options, you can enjoy looking good during the day-to-day stuff. Look at Donna Reed -- she vacuumed the floor in high heels and pearls! :) As Edward would surely point out, overdressing a little is no vice. The secret is to have a comfortable style.

I think I have the pants down

Snick!

Chino's. And since I'm loosing weight, I can go to Goodwill and look for good used ones so I don't end up spending a lot of money on pants that won't fit in a few months.

That's the spirit, but never underestimate the value of a decent tailor or seamstress. Alterations are inevitable. And I picked up a great looking pair of high-twist wool Super 150 pants by George at Wal-mart yesterday for $20!

Invest in clothes that fit you now. You don't have to go hog wild and pack your closet, but clothes that fit are always better than clothes that looked great hanging on a rack with a great markdown. As painful as it is for some of us, we have to try stuff on to make sure it fits.

I guess I have a medium neck, I'm not real sure, here's a current pic if that helps:

Okay, you seem all there. Now, scrounge up a tailor's measuring tape. Start measuring get help if you can find it. Go to Penny's or your favorite men's store and have them measure you. Start by knowing the numbers and remember they are only numbers. For example I have a 17-17 1/2" neck. It's important to know that stuff for better or worse.

It pains me to have a 40" waist, but once I got over the shock of the number itself and just started buying stuff that fit, things got a lot better. Yes, your size will change. If you're like me, you hope to lose that two inches so you can comfortably fit that great slate blue, double breasted Italian number you snagged off that auction site for $30 ($30!). But there is something to be said for dressing in the here-and-now.

Believe it or not, you've already made a great start. Whether you go vintage or just stylish, remember it's about attitude and observation. Take note of what you see and be open minded.

Good luck with it sir!

Mark

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I agree--get a navy blazer. One of the partners where I work told me just the other day that he'd gotten the same advice from the company. Navy goes with most other suiting colors, plus khaki. I'd add that it should definitely be made of wool. Wool breathes, it sheds dirt pretty well, it doesn't tend to snag; polyester has none of these qualities. Wool usually has a matte finish, whereas polyester can be shiny. Shiny isn't good, especially if you wish to appear thinner.

The chinos sound like a good choice. The waistband should sit at or close to the waist, horizontally, without sagging in the front. IMHO, they should break once (as far as length). If you want to save money on tailoring, hemming unlined pants is a pretty simple matter; you'll just need an iron and stick pins. Even I can do this--and I don't sew.

A V neck can make your neck appear longer and thinner. You might like a guayabara (sp?) shirt for the summer, and a long-sleeved woven shirt for cooler weather. Polo shirts would be great for hanging out at home. Just avoid horizontal stripes--women have been doing this for years!

One more tip: you can make your legs look longer (and therefore, thinner) by matching your shoe and sock color to your pants.

(I only say these things about looking thinner because you mentioned you are losing weight. :) )

Brinybay

Practically Family
Blazers and a tie, hoo-boy, I dunno. There was another FL person here who said something about wanting to dress nicely for his very casual office, but if he did, his co-workers would go bezerk. Same with my friends. On the other hand, I liked the look of someone's avatar where the gentleman (not sure if it really was the poster in the avatar) had a nice crisp white shirt, tie, vest, and a hat. No blazer. It's around here somewhere, it said "Mr. Cool" on the avatar.

Well, here's what I did. I had to take the Cole Haan Caldwells I found for $5 at a second hand store to the cobbler at the mall near me to get them re-healed and polished. While there, I went to JCP to look around. Yes, I looked at the blazers, just not the navy ones. For some reason I gravitated to the light colored ones, they had a twill and a corduroy. Just not me, sorry, no. But I'll try some navy ones on next time.

Went over to the pants, they had no-iron premium Chinos on sale for $30. Perfect, I got two pair, a green and a khaki. They are 38 waist, and it was just slightly snug w/o straining to get it fastened, so I will still be able to wear them after losing more weight (and I will). I also bought a light-weight latch-collar jacket, also on sale. I needed one now that the weather isn't cold enough for my heavy Wilson's double-collared leather jacket.

I'm kinda thinking my personal style leans more towards an "adventurers" mode of dress, but I'll try different things.

Also, sorry about the golf shirt, but that's all I have besides sweats and T's and a few ill-fitting dress shirts and my chaffeur's monkey-suit from when I used to drive limos.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looking better already.

Two quick suggestions, one free, one cheap:

1) Button the bottom button on your shirt

2) Get a new watch. Something like this, maybe, since you're going for 'Adventurer' (I endorse that choice).

Make the thrift stores your friend. Be patient, but over time you'll buy better clothes cheaper there than you will at J.C. Penney et al.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Hey Brin,

When I suggested the blazer and tie, I wasn't necessarily thinking daily wear. I believe it should be a part of every man's wardrobe. If you own no other dress clothes, the blazer, slacks and a tie will make you look good at any wedding/funeral/bar mitzvah or what have you.

Having said that, if you're like me, simply avoiding jeans and T-shirts will go a long way toward changing your personal style. I still wear T's but they are under a real shirt with buttons and a collar.

The pics you posted look fine. You could do well with those items, though I'm not entirely crazy about the jacket. IMPORTANT POINT: how I feel about that jacket doesn't matter -- it's a nice looking, practical jacket that works. I will say it looks better with the mossy green pants, but I digress.

I buy a lot of my shirts at Wally World, Old Navy and Beall's, but it's taken me years get 8 or 10 decent shirts together. It's not just a budget issue -- to be sure I'm cheap, but I'm damn picky too and there are no decent thrift stores form men here in the sticks.

For summertime, I'm devolving back into Aloha shirts from my youth. I'll also be on the look out for nice short sleeved shirts when the weather gets unbearable in a few months. Last year I bought several nice polo type shirts. They're the big ones that give me plenty of room to move and don't hug my pronounced gut.

But enough about me, you're on your way. Don't forget to show us the shoes you bought when they come back from the shop.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Mark

Brinybay

Practically Family
Ugarte said:
Hey Brin,

When I suggested the blazer and tie, I wasn't necessarily thinking daily wear. I believe it should be a part of every man's wardrobe. If you own no other dress clothes, the blazer, slacks and a tie will make you look good at any wedding/funeral/bar mitzvah or what have you.

I still have the double-breasted blazer that came with the suit. But it's black.
Ugarte said:
The pics you posted look fine. You could do well with those items, though I'm not entirely crazy about the jacket. IMPORTANT POINT: how I feel about that jacket doesn't matter -- it's a nice looking, practical jacket that works. I will say it looks better with the mossy green pants, but I digress.
That's ok, it was only $20, so I still have room to get something better down the line. I just really needed to retire my winter jacket for now. What would you suggest for a warmer-weather jacket?

Just to give us both an idea of what a navy blazer would look like, I dug out part of my old chauffeur uniform. Obviously the shirt doesn't fit, it's a 16 collar, I'm up to a 17 at least. The blazer is actually black because that was the prescribed chauffeur uniform, a black/white suit. I bought it a little small because I found the double breasted blazer that came with the suit was not practical for getting in/out of limos and town cars and handling a lot of luggage. I wore this one open, but with a black vest to keep the tie out of my way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe