Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm an Idiot!

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Okay so I thought I had scored on ebay.
I used the "buy it now" button and got a nice 40s era Borsalino size 7 1/8.
Thought I could have it sized up to 7 3/8. But then I read on the forum that hats may stretch one size but probably not two.
My joy turned sour.
So, may have a nice nice Borsalino for sale soon. Size 7 1/8.
Let me know if you're interested.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Give it a stretch first, before you decide you can't wear it.
I'm a 7 1/4 and my first Borsalino came sized as a 7. Spiridon visited and gave me a stretch, and it fits. I can wear a 7 1/8 if I have to, so it works well for me. I like the way it sits and all. So even if you're a 7 3/8, you may be able to wear it just fine at a 7 1/4 after stretching.

This was before stretching, it's nicer now.

Tommy_in_Borsalino.sized.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Those vintage sizes are all over the place. Try it on first. You would be surprised as to what fits! Then, if it doesn't, send it to one of our repuatable hatters for a reblock and sizing, and you will be all set. ;)

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I also had good luck stretching a vintage Borsalino...the felt and the leather seem especially pliable compared to others I've tried to stretch. Go slow and give it a try...and hopefully, feel the joy again! ;)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't despair...yet

I am 7 3/8 and when I recently got two spiffy vintage borsalinos in a lot, one was marked 5 1/2 (our 7 1/4) and one marked 6. (our 7 3/8) The 5 1/2 fit me better out of the box than the 6!
Since then I have stretched them both and they are in my regular rotation.

Oh man, Sleep, that looks like a keeper to me. And if you decide it ain't, well, just tell us where the line forms.
I take it you've read through those threads on stretching? Lotsa good advice there, especially the warnings against asking the hat to give more than it has. If it is indeed WAY too tight, I'd recommend you either entrust it to a pro with the proper equipment and experience or sell it for more than you paid. Either way, you can't lose.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
All is not lost..

I have an Adam Premier that is supposed to be a 7 1/4 it fit more like a 7 1/8 but I managed to stretch it up to a 7 3/8 without any distortion of the crown or snap brim. It has to be my favorite every day hat. Go slow and it should be fine.

Cheers!

Dan

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Tony in Tarzana said:
Another one I debated grabbing, but I'm a 7-3/8. I try to keep myself to buying only 7-1/4 to 7-1/2.

Great looking hat!

Thats a good rule of thumb I'm gonna stick to.

Here's hoping this one works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally