Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had to be a historical mobster who would you be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Fedord Spaniard said:
Thank You so much, im glad to see some members that see the threads for what they are "a thread".

I think everyone here sees this as a 'thread'......threads are for discussion...not just 'agreement'

But one quickly learns around here.....that you absolutely -cannot control- what direction a thread you post takes. You will never -ever- just get the people that -agree- with you posting, just like you will never -ever- have a discussion of something stay on topic.

Complaining about the topic going off topic...is about as useful as complaining that the masses wear flip flops. :D

Feraud

Bartender
Paisley said:
What do you think the odds are of another pirate movie being made now?
If you are talking a Wes Anderson directed Bill Murray chasing pirates film, I'm there. We've had enough of that Johnny Depp nonsense.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
I guess it's having to deal with jerks who yell "Gangster!" (Or Dick Tracy, Indiana Jones, Inspector Gadget, blah blah) when they see a guy in a hat that makes me kind of bristle at even thinking of being some historical thug.

I don't want to be a "mobster" or "gangster" thanks. ;)

SO, Pal. "Female" got you in hot water, and now "mobster." lol

hahaha yea i know what you mean about hats bein stigmataized with the kinds of things you listed. to some people they only see hats as "wiseguys, Dick Tracy, Indiana Jones, Inspector Gadget" and dont forget "Brokeback Mountain"... yea even that one hahah believe it or not. it just shows that thier world is this big "....... " but thats the way it is.

yea i see that ive fallen in again im goin have to start wearin an oxygen tank and some scuba gear and bring lots of ice.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
I think everyone here sees this as a 'thread'......threads are for discussion...not just 'agreement'

But one quickly learns around here.....that you absolutely -cannot control- what direction a thread you post takes. You will never -ever- just get the people that -agree- with you posting, just like you will never -ever- have a discussion of something stay on topic.

Complaining about the topic going off topic...is about as useful as complaining that the masses wear flip flops. :D

I agree, but at the same time, the thread title was not "What do you think of mobsters." or "Do you approve or disapprove of mobsters?"

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:

:) yea i know, threads become thier own entity after awhile they cant be controlled unless someone that controls the forum steps in. for the politicians in the room is "entity" ok to use or should i call the thread a "server file" instead? hahahaha

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
reetpleat said:
I agree, but at the same time, the thread title was not "What do you think of mobsters." or "Do you approve or disapprove of mobsters?"

"If you had to be a historical serial killer, who would you be?"

"If you had to be a historical cop killer, who would you be?"

"If you had to be a historical torturer/executioner, who would you be?"

"If you had to be a historical pimp, who would you be?"

"If you had to be a historical drug pusher, who would you be?"

"If you had to be a historical usurer, who would you be?"

"If you had to be a historical perjurer, who would you be?"

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Fedord Spaniard said:
lol o man do we have to get all PC in this thread too? im aware that these guys werent exactly the nicest guys but it was just a "what if" kind of thing. in reality i dont condone and dont look up to this kind of evil or evil of any kind in general. i just find thier history interestin to see how one human being can munipulate so many individuals under them when everyone has the power to be thier own person and fight back and its interestin how they were able to munipulate so many parts of society just cause they had money but then again unfortunetley in this world money is power just look at the kinds of evils that get let go. but instead people did it and do it out of fear or whatever reason to this day... this kind of control has been goin on in all forms not just criminals over history.

with all due respect if any member on this forum got offeded with this topic, i directed it to the members that wouldnt have a problem with the question i asked. its like when people make threads about religion and someone gets offended over the thread because maybe they dont believe in that religion or what have you, and still go in anyway just to stir things up. ill never understand why someone would go into a thread about a topic they dont believe or agree with if the topic is not personally directed right to them.

to all those of you that answered this topic thank you for all your replies.

I do find them interesting. Firstly, while not all people approved, many disinfranchised people, rightly or wrongly, saw them as robin hoods or heroes. Not necesserily good role models, but then again, they lifted themselves out of the ghettos of the cities and poverty to run large organizations. Pity they did not have more doors open to them, for they might have become huge successes in the legitimate business world. Yes, they still could. But only the naive about history would deny that many doors were closed to these populations.

They were quite fascinating individuals, weather you approve of them or not.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Fedord Spaniard said:
for the politicians in the room is "entity" ok to use or should i call the thread a "server file" instead? hahahaha

before you decide, look up entity ;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

oooh....

1. Andre Chikatilo
2. Vlad the Impaler
3. I don't know any historical pimps unless you count all the royal families farming their kids out to each other...
4. same with this one...dont know any

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]I wonder: do you have any experience reenacting? Mind you, there's not a group of humans on the face of the planet that doesn't include quite a variety of members...but you'll have to take my word for it: there are such people. And, no: I was a Federal reenactor and have never done WWII. Just in case you're wondering :rolleyes:

I therefore find it somewhat interesting that your first contribution to this one was not to speak to the original point of the thread, but to offer an opinion regarding those who were. [huh]

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

touche on both counts. Firstly, I am only speculating from a limited knowledge of reenactors. I am open to more informed opinions. And secondly, I did indeed join in the de facto topic rather than the original thread.. Beyond that, I do not think we have much disagreement.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Is Dr. Dre vintage? If so, I think he covers all the bases (at least lyrically).

Marc Chevalier said:

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
:eusa_clap lol

And yet, has Hollywood ever made a movie about modern pirates, let alone dark-skinned ones?

don't be too surprised if we see one soon. Although they will most definitely not be heroes. A certain merchant captain and some frog men will be.

I would be interested to know more about the Barbary Pirates.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:

hahahahaah ok then,

If you had to be a historical serial killer, who would you be?"