Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas Thread for where the Large FL Yearly GTG should be.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think anyone over on this coast is inclined to undertake the gargantuan task of planning an event. I certainly am not! And I used to do event planning.

I'd say that we'll simply have to consider the Queen Mary Event to be a yearly event for November with the QM in Long Beach as ground zero.

Since it is our only big fly in type yearly event, we can consider it our annual convention of sorts.

I'd propose we continue to have every area here in the US and abroad to consider putting on the best events they possibly can, with an invitation to all Fedora lounge members to come and join them in their celebration of the viintage lifestyle.

We do seem blessed here Southern California to have such a strong contingient with a lot of events to join in like the Cicada Club, at the usual haunts and a variety of historic to-dos. We tend to see each other often and from that our communication to other members local to us is the greatest advantage we have.

Do the other areas need to have more communication and form a more cohesive regional group to be able to apply a united front in planning and executing a regional event of major proportion? Perhaps.

As for myself, until my fortunes change with new employment I will probably be sticking close to home but wishing very much to travel to those other regional events.

As tough times continue to place its constraints on us all, we all have a duty to ourselves, to our families and to friends to make the best effeorts we can, not to despare, but to have the best possible time we can make of it. We have a duty to be happy. What better thing to do than to get together with friends and share with them what we can?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Hemingway Jones said:
Personally, I would be all about meeting up in South Beach. It's cheap to stay there. There are amazing vintage hotels and bars. We could go to the beach, dinner; it would be awesome.
I've always thought that South Miami Beach would be a natural FL event venue, especially during Art Deco Weekend.

Feraud

Bartender
Let's get organized.

How many are we for this Sunday's (12/14) train ride?
The route is from Queensboro Plaze to the Lower East Side on a vintage NYC train.
www.mta.info/nyct/service/events/nostalgia.htm
nostalgia2.jpg

Who is in and where/when are we meeting?
I live in Queens so it makes sense for me to start at the Queensboro Plaza station V line at 12:15.
We can grab a bite to eat downtown if anyone is hungry for lunch.
Departure times:
From Lower East Side 2 Av station on the V line at 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
and 4 p.m.
From Queens Plaza station at 10:45 a.m., 12:15 p.m., 1:45 p.m., 3:15 p.m. and 4:45pm.

Queens Plaza
23 St-Ely Av
Lexington Av/53 St
5 Av/53 St
47-50 Sts Rockefeller Center
42 St Bryant Park
34 St Herald Sq
23 St (6 Av)
14 St (6 Av)
W 4 St Wash Sq
B’way-Lafayette St
Lower East Side 2 Av

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
prix fixe & stuff

I dont have much optimism on settling up the bill.
After a couple drinks people tend to forget how many drinks they ordered, or how many appetizers they shared, or that theres TAX and TIP involved.

These big group dinners should always be from a PRIX FIXE menu. Hopefully it would be a menu w/ plenty of choices to appeal to all the guests. But really, none of us wants to spend 30 minutes adding things up, contesting what was ordered & then scurrying about asking who forgot to throw in.
We shouldnt make this mistake again as we did at the OysterBar in `06.

BTW, since the economy is on all of our minds, there are lots of spots, like SARDIs where we could meet for a snazzy lunch instead of a pricey dinner. And it might even be easier for the restaurants to accommodate our group at lunchtime.

Also, if we gather in NYC, we should consider scheduling to coincide w/ a dressy affair such as one of the DANCES OF VICE parties or MichaelArenella's performances.

At the QM Friday evening we ate at the Mid level restaurant. they were not busy so it was easy enough to seat us all together AND they were able to do individual checks but they built a 20% gratuity in for the complexity it adds to their work.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Exactly.

So move it to NY and you get NY'rs and 3 other intrepid folks who can still travel.

Move it to Florida and you get the Floridians and 3 other intrepid folks who can still travel.

So in a sense, it does not matter -where-....right now, travel is out for -most- of us.

Actually, at the 2006 NYC event, the attendees were mostly travelers. Frankly, I didnt think the event would get more than a dozen people. Perhaps it was the desire to see a new location, but whatever the reason, the NYC event was largely members from other states.
Come again before the hotel taxes are raised!
;)

Vanessa

One Too Many
MrBern said:
Actually, at the 2006 NYC event, the attendees were mostly travelers. Frankly, I didnt think the event would get more than a dozen people. Perhaps it was the desire to see a new location, but whatever the reason, the NYC event was largely members from other states.
Come again before the hotel taxes are raised!
;)

Come to Long Beach instead where it's warm. ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Frankie Manning's 95th B'day

I posted this info over on the NY get together thread, but I think it should go here, as well. As many of you know, Lindy Hop legend Frankie Mannig will be 95 (that's niner - fiver, folks) in May. A BIG bash is planned for May 21 thru 26th. Here's the official website, tho no real info is posted yet.
http://frankie95.com/
There will be people form all over the world here for it. I just thought this could dovetail nicely with an FL event as well. The venues for the various events have been found (don't know what they are . . .) and 3 bands are lined up. It should be super memorable. Frankie is now recovering from hip replacement replacement, so his speed in the 100 yard dash is slightly impaired. But only slightly.
Just a thought.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
How many are we for this Sunday's (12/14) train ride?
The route is from Queensboro Plaze to the Lower East Side on a vintage NYC train.
www.mta.info/nyct/service/events/nostalgia.htm
nostalgia2.jpg

Who is in and where/when are we meeting?
I live in Queens so it makes sense for me to start at the Queensboro Plaza station V line at 12:15.
We can grab a bite to eat downtown if anyone is hungry for lunch.

Im in. I could meet you at QueensPlaza.
maybe we should do a thread in EVENTS?

Vanessa

One Too Many
MrBern said:
I just got back from Honolulu, its warmer there! And cheaper. And theres Hula dancers.
Do you have a grass skirt?

I do in fact. Can't practice hula without.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
And Florida is a bad place because...............?

Some guy on a travel site says it better than I ever could: "If you like your clothes clean and dry, forget it. If you put on a clean shirt, it's all sweaty a few minutes later because of the humidity, which usually hangs right around 98%... Remember that 100% means it's raining because the air can't hold anymore moisture. "

He also delivers a missive about the people there, but I don't wish to start a flame war. lol Suffice to say I'd rather have it almost anywhere else!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld