Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I THOUGHT I bought this Stratoliner

J.B. said:
Ah yes, I seem to remember that fiasco...

Let's see now, IIRC that eBay seller was Ygnoramus_in_Yucaipa, right?

No, wait! Now I remember! It was Rabid*in*Redlands... :D

That flake was so in love with his relative's hat that he's probably turned that sucker into a shrine and is charging admission to see it?! :p

Gee -- how time flies?!

Yep, it was Rabid in Redlands. What a nut that guy was.
I hope this guy either gets bounced or comes through no middle ground. Follow through or get the consequences.
I (with the help of others here:D ) got the rabid dude kicked. He was fun to get banned though. He answered some of our emails with stupid and inane responses. I think I called eBay that time though.

Regards,

J

J.B.

Practically Family
Johnnysan said:
If it prevents this guy from ever selling on eBay again, count me in as one proud "puckered rectum." :mad:

emogrinningroflgg5.gif

LeeB

Familiar Face
Ebay - never again

I use Ebay about once a year and the past couple of times I've used it, there has been a problem. This last was the worst as I had to go through both Ebay and Paypal to resolve the issue and get reimbursed. It all worked out, but it was two weeks of total aggravation. For this reason, I have completely sworn off Ebay. The benefits (for me) just don't outweigh the problems.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I've received an invoice from him

Looks like he's decided to honor the auction.

Although he's been quite a jerk and has handled this badly I don't think he started out to try to defraud anyone. I think he screwed up his attempt at ending the first auction early and screwed up again by not ensuring that it happened before posting the relist. He made matters worse by his attitude about it and resisting honoring the first auction, a particularly stupid move considering no one was bidding on the second. If he had done his research he would have seen that Strats weren't selling that high recently and wouldn't have tried the relist in the first place. He really needs to work on his customer service skills!

As was noted more than once it really didn't make sense at the time that someone with his feedback track record would do something like this.

As I want the hat, had committed to buying the hat when I successfully bid on it, and he has (however reluctantly) come through with an invoice I shall fulfill my side of the auction and pay for it. I doubt that at this point he'll do anything further to screw things up, but if it arrives in less than stellar condition I'll take the necessary steps with eBay.

Again, thanks for your support! I know that many of you think I'm being to easy on him, but this transaction isn't completed yet and my goal all along has been a successful transaction.

Cheers,
Tom

Feraud

Bartender
Please rethink this! He has already expressed antagonistic intentions with regards to selling and sellers. He intended to sell the hat after you won it.
For all you know he may send you a completely different hat. What can you do then? Complain to ebay, ship the hat back(at cost to you), and hope for him to make good?
I would not feel comfortable sending this guy money.

Take the negative feedback and do not send him a dime.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
You got your hat. I'd pay for it and drop the issue there and be very wary in future.

Yes, I agree. You pursued this with the argument that he committed to sell the hat to the highest bidder. You have the same obligation as a buyer to honor the commitment you made to buy. Plus, you want the hat!

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Here's what I would do:

A) Honor my commitment to purchase the item;
B) Keep copies of all of his posted pics
C) Keep copies of both (ETA: NOW all three) auctions
D) Notify Ebay of the circumstances, preferably via a phone call in addition to an email (and get some sort of tracking number)
E) Communicate with him only in regards to payment/shipping; avoid discussing anything else
F) Save all emails or other communications
G) File a complaint with Ebay REGARDLESS of the outcome, as his actions indicate he is a dishonest seller

The fact that he doesn't take Paypal is also worrisome, in that if you get the hat and it's not in good condition (or even the same hat) it will be very hard to get your money back unless Ebay has been in the loop from the word "go". Bringing them in after the fact will make it very difficult. You want them involved and aware of what's going on NOW (actually, two days ago).

Keep good contemporaneous notes. In the worst case, you can go to small claims court and get treble damages if your item is damaged or otherwise not what was advertised, but you'll need all your documentation in order.

Sorry this jerk did this to you. I agree, it looks like he changed his mind on the first auction, but didn't properly cancel it. That's no excuse...as a seller, he can see all of his current auctions (and who is watching them, etc.) at any time. He did show his true colors, though, when he failed to make good on the original auction AND got nasty with his emails.

Regardless of whether you get the item or not, Ebay needs to know about this and take action.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
Although late into this, I have been following, I think what Flying Scotsman says is good. This guy doesn't deserve to be able to trade on eBay, his attitude stinks.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Nigel said:
Although late into this, I have been following, I think what Flying Scotsman says is good. This guy doesn't deserve to be able to trade on eBay, his attitude stinks.

Puckering rectums and "stinky" attitudes...what will they think of next?

I agree with a couple of the others. Document and hold onto what has happened in two days in regards to this. Hopefully you're pending ebay complaint will indeed go through. Once you receive the hat in the exact condition shown in the original auction, then you can proceed as you see fit; to turn proof of his attitude over, or just skip it.

I personally wouldn't forget it; yeah, the guy has a lack of morals and should not be selling on ebay.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Glad that you're getting the hat after all, Tom. I'll have my fingers crossed for you that this guy has run out of shenanigans.

The moral of this thread: "Never underestimate the power of a group of 'puckered rectums' demanding that someone to do the right thing!"

10000-1.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Flying Scotsman said:
Assuming he DID try to cancel the first auction (which is allowed) and it didn't go through, the MOMENT he became aware that the first auction went to completion he had a legal obligation to cancel the second auction and honor the winner of the first (you).

Absolutely right. This seller doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Feraud said:
For all you know he may send you a completely different hat. What can you do then?

What can Tango Yankee do then? Our esteemed Lounger can leave negative feedback.

What can he do now? Not much, since the seller is now offering to honor the original deal. If Tango Yankee refuses to take the offer, then eBay will side with the seller. The (bad) result for you might be more than negative feedback. eBay can be funny that way.

I say, get the hat first and then leave negative feedback anyway-- even if the hat is perfect.

Feraud

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
What can he do then? He can leave negative feedback.

What can he do now? Not much, since the seller is now offering to honor the original deal. If Tango Yankee refuses to take the offer, then eBay will side with the seller. The (bad) result for you might be more than negative feedback. eBay can be funny that way.

I say, get the hat first and then leave negative feedback anyway-- even if the hat is perfect.

I have to ask, is getting one piece of feedback so bad? Obviously the seller does not fear getting it.

The seller is offering to honor the original agreement. The seller has also demonstrated himself to be an underhanded snake. His actions (did he stop listing the item after three auctions for one item?) and his words (chess moves, puckered rectums, etc.) tell me this guy has issues.

The choices are to take the negative feedback and save at a mininum 140 hard earned dollars and untold hours of aggravation or take a chance on this guy because ebay might side with the screwball.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I've dealt with a few eBay sellers that didn't even blink at the prospect of negative feedback. Parcel post when I charged you for Priority? My listing was completely misleading? I'll parcel post you a quarter, then you can call someone who cares. :rage:

The entire problem with eBay's feedback system is the "99.1% positive", etc, tag under the seller's name. Honestly, nobody is going to not bid on your auction because of those odds. Sellers know this. Once you get positive feedback into the high hundreds or thousands, you're untouchable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael