Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I THOUGHT I bought this Stratoliner

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
This was sent at 2:41 this morning

I was out of town and did not look at my mail until this afternoon....sure a lot of puckered rectums out there....I did cancel thru ebay and evidently it did not go thru and elected to revise another item to relist...pretty good chess move hey...Anyway you all manage to get good stuff for 1/2 price or less on the bay so I can see why you are so highly disappointed when one stands up and pushes your button once in a while...Hey I have had 3 deadbeat buyers in the last 6 weeks..what do you think of a little manuvering?

Thanks Again ...ROGER

And my response:

Actually, the market sets the price--it's whatever people are willing to pay for it. Sometimes it's a good deal, sometimes it's more than it's actual value but in the end, any item is worth whatever anyone is willing to pay for it. If it wasn't for eBay a lot of these hats would still be sitting in antique stores waiting to be sold for $15. As for the upset people out there, well, sometimes when people see something that doesn't look right they speak up about it.

As for your chess move, well, it didn't take into consideration the fact that although in the end a hat might go for more than your second minimum bid my observation is that such high minimum bids rarely get a taker. Bidders do like to at least have the impression that there's a chance they'll get something for a low price even if they know it's a slim one. Looking at the prices some Strats have gone for recently the one I bid is up there in the higher end.

So now what? Are you going to honor the auction I won? If so, send me your Bidpay username and I'll pay for the hat.

Regards,
Tom

We'll see. And thanks again for your support, everyone!

Cheers,
Tom

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Hey, Tom --

Roger's last name wouldn't happen to start with an "S", would it? My only bad experience with an eBay seller occurred in the last couple of weeks relative to my purchase of the lot of 3 Borsalinos. My seller was "Roger," oddly enough located in Arcadia, California (your auction lists "coastal California", yes?) Same M.O. -- gee, I've been out of town, just now catching up on e-mails, etc. Same cavalier attitude. I'd be curious to know...

Cheers,
JtL

Razzman

One Too Many
I too bid on the hat, and received no notice of the cancellation. There were at least 4 loungers who bid on the hat.

The hat is no longer listed, it just disappeared again this morning. So either ebay is now involved or he took it down again, or he decided to do the right thing. I doubt it, his emails didn't convice me of that.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Hey, Tom --

Roger's last name wouldn't happen to start with an "S", would it? My only bad experience with an eBay seller occurred in the last couple of weeks relative to my purchase of the lot of 3 Borsalinos. My seller was "Roger," oddly enough located in Arcadia, California (your auction lists "coastal California", yes?) Same M.O. -- gee, I've been out of town, just now catching up on e-mails, etc. Same cavalier attitude. I'd be curious to know...

Cheers,
JtL

As a matter of fact, his last name does start with an S. Did your seller's e-mail display include Esq.?

Cheers,
Tom

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If the auction just isn't there anymore then ebay must have done it. A seller can end an auction (if he's competent ;) ), but I don't believe it's possible for anyone but ebay to actually make it disappear.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Tango Yankee said:
"...what do you think of a little manuvering?
Thanks Again ...ROGER"

W:eek:W! What an a**hole. I hope you forward that email to eBay.

Also, please post his full name and eBay ID here so we can all avoid this.

Joel

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Need to blacklist this guy.

What a really bad & flippant attitude this rectal character has [huh]

No apology or anything?[huh]

He needs to be wiped from any trading on Ebay again. And as for him saying something to the effect that 'We've all had it too good for too long in buying cheap hats??[huh] ' what's that anal logic meant to mean??

Take him down :rage:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
The second auction hasn't gone away, it's been changed to a different item. I chose to ignore the ""...what do you think of a little manuvering?" comment. I think he's tap-danced enough already.

I've had automated responses from eBay. Not real helpful. It did say that an e-mail with the seller's contact info would be sent to me and one with my info to the seller with mine so we could work it out but I've not received that e-mail yet. It appears that eBay's policy is that they won't get involved until it's been 10 days after the close of the auction.

Cheers,
Tom

Just re-read the eBay e-mail. I have to actually go to the advanced search option to request the contact info--they don't send it automatically.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tango Yankee said:
It appears that eBay's policy is that they won't get involved until it's been 10 days after the close of the auction.

He's hoping to sell the hat and ship it off before that happens. I'll continue my mantra of negative feedback.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Don't tread all over me if I'm wrong here, and I guess I'm too lazy to go look for it myself right now...heh... But shouldn't there be/is there an official Ebay phone number? If there was, I just think perhaps you could accomplish a heck-load more on the phone than with the automated emails.

mingoslim

Practically Family
I was one of the original bidders . . .

And I never received a cancellation notice, though I have on many, many previous ocassions received such notices from eBay.

This guy needs to be dealt with . . . My wife is an eBay seller, and I have had good experiences with eBay sellers . . . perhaps I am just lucky. But someone like this taints the whole field.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Tango Yankee said:
I was out of town and did not look at my mail until this afternoon....sure a lot of puckered rectums out there....I did cancel thru ebay and evidently it did not go thru and elected to revise another item to relist...pretty good chess move hey...Anyway you all manage to get good stuff for 1/2 price or less on the bay so I can see why you are so highly disappointed when one stands up and pushes your button once in a while...Hey I have had 3 deadbeat buyers in the last 6 weeks..what do you think of a little manuvering?

Thanks Again ...ROGER

And my response:

Actually, the market sets the price--it's whatever people are willing to pay for it. Sometimes it's a good deal, sometimes it's more than it's actual value but in the end, any item is worth whatever anyone is willing to pay for it. If it wasn't for eBay a lot of these hats would still be sitting in antique stores waiting to be sold for $15. As for the upset people out there, well, sometimes when people see something that doesn't look right they speak up about it.

As for your chess move, well, it didn't take into consideration the fact that although in the end a hat might go for more than your second minimum bid my observation is that such high minimum bids rarely get a taker. Bidders do like to at least have the impression that there's a chance they'll get something for a low price even if they know it's a slim one. Looking at the prices some Strats have gone for recently the one I bid is up there in the higher end.

So now what? Are you going to honor the auction I won? If so, send me your Bidpay username and I'll pay for the hat.

Regards,
Tom

We'll see. And thanks again for your support, everyone!

Cheers,
Tom

Save all of these emails. If you have a case tracking number or something, send them to Ebay. If you don't, contact them again. In any case, FORWARD THESE EMAILS to them.

At this point, you should no longer be in direct contact with the seller. You should do the equivalent of "call my lawyer" each time he contacts you.

There's no point in getting in a pissing contest with him. Emails back and forth can't help your case, so I wouldn't even engage. I'd just say, to each one "Thank you for your email. I have forwarded it to Ebay so that they can have the additional information to resolve this case."

See if THAT gets some action (or at least gets him to shut up).

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
AlanC said:
He's hoping to sell the hat and ship it off before that happens. I'll continue my mantra of negative feedback.

Perhaps... but since the second auction has been changed he'd have to sell it locally. By changing the second auction he put himself into the position where he must honor the first--he can no longer use the "failed auction cancellation" excuse. If he fails to honor the first auction he is facing being banned--I will push the issue. The negative feedback option is an arrow I'm honing for use as well.

Cheers,
Tom

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
I see what he did now. He revised everything. The only thing that's the same is the auction #. It's for an EXTRUDED ALUMINUM ELECTRIFIED ARROW WESTERN SIGN now. I guess that's what he means when he says a little manuvering.

Feraud

Bartender
Tango Yankee said:
Perhaps... but since the second auction has been changed he'd have to sell it locally.
I hope he does try to sell it locally.
If he tries one of those "chess moves" he is going to lose a few teeth.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
J.S.Udontknowme said:
I see what he did now. He revised everything. The only thing that's the same is the auction #. It's for an EXTRUDED ALUMINUM ELECTRIFIED ARROW WESTERN SIGN now. I guess that's what he means when he says a little manuvering.

Now do you see why I said to copy the second auction page to your local computer, so you can send it to Ebay?

I have it if you want it. At this point, since I was watching the second auction, I might be tempted to report fraudulent activity myself to Ebay if you don't.

This is CLEARLY, absolutely, no question about it, FRAUD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael