Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I remember when.....

I remember my mom having to pump the gas 3 times in the summer and 7 in the winter in our 1977 Ford LTD wagon, in stylish baby-poo brown with matching interior. Not to mention it had crank windows. I know people that have never even seen or heard of a carburetor.

I remember when Buicks had crank windows.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I remember when GM took a Nova, dropped a 350 in it, leather seats, 8 track and streamlined the body, priced it above an Eldorado, called it Seville and the thing sold like hot cakes.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
I remember my mom having to pump the gas 3 times in the summer and 7 in the winter in our 1977 Ford LTD wagon, in stylish baby-poo brown with matching interior. Not to mention it had crank windows. I know people that have never even seen or heard of a carburetor.

I remember rebuilding the carburetor on my first car. The car was a 1968 Chevelle Malibu, red with a black vinyl top and black interior. The carburetor was a 4 barrel Quadrajet. The engine was a 350 out of a 1971 Monte Carlo that I put in my Chevelle after blowing up the original 307. That was a good change, the 307 is arguably the weakest V8 that Chevy ever made!

I love Quadrajets. My 87 Caprice Estate has one on its dog of a 307 Olds, pushing 140 horses. My 79 Buick has one on its 350. Had one on the 283 on my 63 Impala, on the 327 in my 58 Delray, and put one on the 350 on my 60 Bel-Air, the Holley 950 was too much.

I remember rebuilding the carburetor on my first car. The car was a 1968 Chevelle Malibu, red with a black vinyl top and black interior. The carburetor was a 4 barrel Quadrajet. The engine was a 350 out of a 1971 Monte Carlo that I put in my Chevelle after blowing up the original 307. That was a good change, the 307 is arguably the weakest V8 that Chevy ever made!

Sevilles are some of the biggest wastes of Cadillac badging ever made, in my opinion.
I remember when GM took a Nova, dropped a 350 in it, leather seats, 8 track and streamlined the body, priced it above an Eldorado, called it Seville and the thing sold like hot cakes.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I thought 307 was Olds and Chevy was 305? I could be wrong.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
The Seville was an interesting marketing ploy. It was successful. Then in 1980 they made it into a 4 door Eldorado. I remember when my Mom wanted a Cadillac and my Dad told her he didn't want another midget car so no Seville.

Olds and Chevy both had the 307. I think it came out for Chevy in 1968's model year, if memory serves me.

If I buy a Cadillac, I expect a land yacht. Give me a big flippin' Fleetwood with a mile of hood and trunk to match!

The Seville was an interesting marketing ploy. It was successful. Then in 1980 they made it into a 4 door Eldorado. I remember when my Mom wanted a Cadillac and my Dad told her he didn't want another midget car so no Seville.

Old Rogue

Practically Family

Chevy had a 307 also. In my Chevelle it was mated to a Powerglide two-speed automatic tranny. The drag racers loved the Powerglide, but in my case it just made an anemic engine that much worse. I also got the tranny out of the 71 Monte Carlo when I changed out the engine. The tranny was a 350 Turbo Hydramatic. The engine/tranny change turned my Chevelle from a dog into a respectable performer, although a buddy who had a Dodge Dart with a 340 engine with the bam-bam cam could still smoke me in the quarter mile.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Oh my Widebrim...... She's gorgeous :love: If I still lived out there, I'd beg you to take me for a ride :D
Thank you for getting the picture :D

See what you get for leaving Arcadia?:p Of course, when you a teen living in SoCal, I would have been driving around in my '69 Chevy Nova high-rider (which I still have). I think you would have had a good time with her as well...(You weren't a cheerleader in high school, were you?;))

Old Rogue

Practically Family
I love Quadrajets. My 87 Caprice Estate has one on its dog of a 307 Olds, pushing 140 horses. My 79 Buick has one on its 350. Had one on the 283 on my 63 Impala, on the 327 in my 58 Delray, and put one on the 350 on my 60 Bel-Air, the Holley 950 was too much.

Yea Tom, the Quadrajet is a classic carb. I eventually changed to a Holley smoothbore that bolted on to the stock manifold. Better performance but much worse fuel mileage. The Quadrajet had small primaries with large vacuum operated secondaries, so it sipped gas when your were light on the throttle, but fed the engine plenty of fuel when you got on it. The Holley had four equally sized barrels with mechanically linked secondaries. It used more fuel even when taking it easy, the price you paid for better performance. Of course, this was in 1975 so gas was what, 60 or 70 cents a gallon back then?

rue

See what you get for leaving Arcadia?:p Of course, when you a teen living in SoCal, I would have been driving around in my '69 Chevy Nova high-rider (which I still have). I think you would have had a good time with her as well...(You weren't a cheerleader in high school, were you?;))

I know, I know... :p 69' Chevy Nova also cool :D
Um no.... I was a dork [huh] Actually an ex-Mod and hung out with the Vespa crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82