Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I flipped my lid...

slicedbread

A-List Customer
When I won this...Exactly what I've been looking for...ai dios mios...Would it be ill advised to wear this to prom, considering it's, I suppose, morning wear?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=140102934782&rd=1&rd=1

3pccutaway.jpg

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Hope you don't mind a gal budging in here, but I have to fawn over this suit, it is P-E-R-F-E-C-T! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
The only reason why you might be ill-advised to wear it to an event such as prom would be that you'd have to beat the droves of ladies off! :p

Oh, and good call on the edit, scotrace!lol ;)

Jovan

Suspended
Very nice. I wouldn't wear it to prom though, since those take place at night. The last guy I saw wearing a morning coat to a night ball looked severely out of place, and not in a good way.

Right now would be the perfect time to search for a white dinner jacket ensemble, since those are worn when it gets warmer outside. I know I'll get flak for saying this, but don't worry about a vest or cummerbund. Just make sure you are wearing nice black shoes (don't need to be patent leather, but avoid brogues), black formal trousers, the right shirt, and a self tie bow tie.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
You need a bowler (or homburg), wing collar, and possibly pale grey gloves and spats.

What's the best tie for day formal in that period? Glen plaid? Silver with a stripe? Solid silver? Ascot or four in hand?

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Morning

In the UK, in formal dress terms, 'morning wear' is usually worn at a formal event that begins before 6.00pm. That style of morning suit is popular in some Masonic circles. I'm not sure if the same 'rules' apply in the US. But then, I have no idea who makes the 'rules'...

Alan

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Over here it's pretty much limited to weddings. I assume they used to be the rule at Presidential inaugurations, at least pre JFK.

The coat is also known as a day coat, swallowtail, clawhammer, and cutaway.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Well, technically the events will start in the morning because we have pictures starting around 4 o'clock, then food around 5-5:30...I don't particularly like the looks of a white dinner jacket...If I still had my palm beach suit, I'd love to wear that though! While I know that I'm probably breaking "the rules" for real formal events, prom isn't exactly known for its sartorial elegance...Plus, I've always wanted to dress like Fred Astaire while he sang "puttin on the ritz"...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j02k9t4rP50

I've always - at the point in that Astaire movie where he meets the troupe of "himselves" behind the curtain - been reminded of Burgess Meredith's portrayal of The Penguin in the 60s Batman TV series.

penguin_02.jpg

One hopes that your date will have better control over her makeup than Cesar Romero, here.

Anyways i was watching that suit and it was too big for me. That's certainly a great price for HSM of the era. Though it is strictly morning wear, who's gonna know? If it fits, wear it. (watch out for the tails. If they're too long or short, the ensemble just won't look right. I believe they should terminate just at the back of the knee. Again if you don't care about this and it looks fine anyway, discard this advice).

bk

slicedbread

A-List Customer
If I were to match the vest and coat with a pair of pants from the same era (assuming the fabrics are the same), would it be more acceptable? I've looked at many tuxedos out there and honestly I don't really fancy any of them, save for a very nice (yet mundane) 6x2 with grosgrain lapels... I just really like the look of the one button peaked lapels with tails...

Baron--Thankfully, my date is quite capable with her make up(Though she doesn't need any because she's absolutely gorgeous without and I'm a strong advocate of the "natural" look) and of course if the jacket doesn't fit quite right and can't be altered adequately I'll put it up here for anyone who'd like it... Thank you for the pointer on the tail length... Also, I'm beginning to have second thoughts about wearing it for prom because I suppose that it's hypocritical of me to berate others for dressing poorly and then myself knowingly go against accepted dress codes...

More than anything, i believe it's that kind of jacket (the style, construction and cut) that defines the "morning" coat. The trousers are interchangeable, though those grey multi-striped ones are "the accepted norm".

I wouldn't hesitate from wearing that ensemble to a prom . . . but then, my feelings on "accepted norms" are well known, especially where it involvs a crowd that wouldn't realise anyways.

bk

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the help you guys have given me!

Well, prom is this saturday and the detachable peak collar I ordered for my shirt hasn't arrived yet!

Does anyone know of a place to get a decent, classically styled, peak collared shirt?

What other collar could be worn with bow ties?

I ordered my date's corsage which is a white/offwhite flower with red rolled flowers surrounding it...They insisted on a matching boutonniere...They also told me that if they kept the stem on and I tried to use the stem, it would just snap and insisted that it must be pinned on...Is this true? Any recommendations? As you can see, I'm freaking out! thanks guys!

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Thanks for the suggestion, but ouch 275 miles away!

And to Jovan, I'm wearing what's pictured...If worse comes to worst, yes i CAN wear a normal shirt, but a peak collar i think most agree would look better...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld