Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How (NOT) to Buy a Hat on Ebay

cookie

I'll Lock Up
"i got my 12 yr old son to try them on and they were a tight fit on his head and he is a skinny fella. they all seemed to be the same size. i can not find a tape measure so i hope this info will help"

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
cookie said:
"i got my 12 yr old son to try them on and they were a tight fit on his head and he is a skinny fella. they all seemed to be the same size. i can not find a tape measure so i hope this info will help"

"Gee, mister, that nails it. Now I get it. Thanks for answering my sizing question so helpfully."

:rolleyes:

Flieger

Practically Family
Well, at least you got a reply. :)

I'm looking at a couple of hats on a local auction where the seller has no size-info at all. Does he reply to my email? No. :mad:

/F

Edward

Bartender
"Thank you for your reply. I am not so skinny, but also bald with no hair, so it sounds like that should fit nicely."

:p

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
That's a good one!

Some of my favorites are the ones that post auctions without photos, asking would-be bidders to send them a message if they want photos. The last time I bit and asked for photos I was told the camera wasn't working and they were looking for a new one! :eusa_doh:

Yeah, I'll buy a hat sight-unseen. ;)

Cheers,
Tom

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
cookie said:

To seller:

Please forward photos of your twelve year old child posed next to each of the following for head/size comparison: a basketball; a salad bowl; a car (sedan); a house (bungalo); a professional wrestler; a tangerine; a shotput; a grade A egg; a seagull (well-fed); a seagull (famished); a marble; a sesame seed; a pair of pliers; a monkey.

Alternately, look under band and forward size of hat.

Thank-you.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jake_fink said:
To seller:

Please forward photos of your twelve year old child posed next to each of the following for head/size comparison: a basketball; a salad bowl; a car (sedan); a house (bungalo); a professional wrestler; a tangerine; a shotput; a grade A egg; a seagull (well-fed); a seagull (famished); a marble; a sesame seed; a pair of pliers; a monkey.

Alternately, look under band and forward size of hat.

Thank-you.
LMAO..........

volatile

A-List Customer
Zemke Fan said:
... from the seller of a LARGE! :) WWII chocolate officer's tunic: "I don't respond to size questions... I ain't a clothing store!"

Do people really not realise that they better they list things, the more they sell for? I'd be half tempted to buy this guy's stuff (no-one else will!) and flip it...

barrowjh

One Too Many
This is the stuff that ebay gambling is made of. Clueless sellers - sometimes they are selling an outstanding hat, but it is an off-brand (a local custom hatter long since outta business) and poorly advertized, bad (and few) photos. You can win some killer hats that way, and can get really stung too. I wonder sometimes if the 'clueless' seller is really much smarter, and only pretending to be clueless, hoping to suck us into gambling for a lousy hat.

volatile

A-List Customer
barrowjh said:
This is the stuff that ebay gambling is made of. Clueless sellers - sometimes they are selling an outstanding hat, but it is an off-brand (a local custom hatter long since outta business) and poorly advertized, bad (and few) photos. You can win some killer hats that way, and can get really stung too. I wonder sometimes if the 'clueless' seller is really much smarter, and only pretending to be clueless, hoping to suck us into gambling for a lousy hat.

The best bargains and the nicest items I've ever snagged from ebay have been terribly-listed suits with really grainy photos. I'm legitimately worried about just how bad the expensive, well-listed ones I bought recently are going to be... :eusa_doh:

mingoslim

Practically Family
I recently bought a lot from EBAY

I recently bought a lot from EBAY . . . The seller wrote "7 hats and 4 boxes . . . three are Stetson, and some other brands . . . 2 straw . . . they are kind of dirty, but could probably be cleaned." . . . No sizes were listed . . . The photo was a long distance shot, and not very good. But I thought I saw something . . .

ebaylot.jpg

So I gambles . . . $100.00 plus shipping . . .

Here is what I got. Two 1940s Stetson Thin ribboned 3Xs . . . Very nice, and in excellent condition. A late 50s Stetson Homburg in mint condition. A 1950s Knox Twenty, with a Cav edge. A late 60s Resistol Velour stingy in mint condition. A vintage Knox Panama that is better than any I have ever owned. Another "store" brand panama, same vintage as the Knox, also better than any I have ever owned. All were sixe 7 3/8s . . .

The boxes? A Resistol square with a leather strap, a 1950s Knox octagonal, and a 1950s Stetson oval and a no-name black oval with a lace strap . . .

It was a good gamble . . .

barrowjh

One Too Many
Wow! I should take pics of some of my ebay gambles that have paid off, but none compare to this. Of course, I never wage that much on a gamble, so I cannot expect to win as much either. Great score, a credit to your eye, mingoslim!

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Some sellers sometimes are too concerned with presenting their payment terms and condition, so complicated that they forgot to give better description of their merchandise. Well, as long as they can present these terms and conditions professionally that's OK, it shows their seriousness in managing their store, but... I once stumbled on a listing with so annoying unfriendly attitude, pointing as if all the buyers are dishonest. It's more or less like this:

"Serious buyers only. I expect to get your email within 30 minutes after the auction ends. If you can't be in your computer by that time, don't bid! If you say that you're not home, your computer broke down, your line's dead, and so on, then don't bid! I can't accept excuses. If I fail to get your reply by then I will give negative feedback bla bla bla ... " :mad: :mad: :mad:

This person's angry to everyone! :D :D Although the item was quite good that time, I never bothered to look again, with such silly terms. :p

There's an old Chinese proverb that says more or less like this, "A person who can not smile must not open a store."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe